The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question San Amour

Anyone have success with San Amour frozen semen?

Really? No one has tried it yet???

Shari Glickman has used it twice with two pregnancies. One was an ET and the other is a foal coming in 2010 from her wonderful Rohdiamant mare!

Both conceived first try I think.

I am also curious about this stallion. He looks fantastic but not very many people are breeding to him. Why??

I can only comment on chilled but my maiden 19 year old got in foal with it and I have an ET due this Sunday. The courier also lost some semen which turned up 3 days later the vets commented it was more viable than most sement which is less than 24 hours old.
    I like San Amour but he is no longer the new thing there where several foals in 2008 and few in 2009 and I am on the end of the wave using him for my 2010 foal.

the one I saw were......not that good (movement wise, and with lacking hind leg). but less than 5 so small sample. Plus, a gazillion SH sons out there, so tough competition
    Linda Woltz
    www.walnut-farm.com
    standing Benidetto (Belissimo M/SPS COrdoba)

My San Amour filly arrived 4 days ago. A black filly with a star just like I ordered. I found the frozen semen to be quite good. I used one dose three years ago with a competition mare who hadn't been bred in 7 years and never with frozen for a successful embryo transfer. Sadly, that colt died at birth. I used the other dose last year on my Rohdiamant mare who is 12 and had been successfully bred a number of times with frozen, so perhaps her pregnancy was less impressive. But still no complaints about two pregnancies with two doses of frozen.

Personally, I like this foal VERY much. She is quite pretty, leggy (but not too light of bone) looks to have very round, uphill gaits. Overall, IMO, a big improvement on an already nice mare. I would definitely consider breeding back, but of course will continue to assess as she matures.

You can see lots of pictures of her here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=2f6857a465

And video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9z4pBMhavI
    GoodNess Ridge Farm
    www.goodnessridge.com