The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Adorable Pony Mule Gelding -- MA

Meet Henry:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...f&id=784270214

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...3&id=784270214

Precious, right? He's a ~6 year old ~13.2hh pony mule, gelding. I got him off the AC4H Broker page late summer of 2008, and had him shipped up to live the life of luxury here in MA.

The Good:

He's green broke (all I've done is walk/trot in the pasture with a halter) but a friendly little guy, and very willing to learn. He lunges, hops on and off the trailer without a second thought, gets baths like a champ, easily blanketed, and is great for the vet and farrier. He's more of a big dog than anything else--runs up to the fence to see you when you call his name, and loves to go for walks around the property. Everyone--horsey or non-horsey--loves him, and my two (horse) geldings spend their days roughhousing with him.

He has rock hard feet--no shoes needed--and stays fat on air. He gets nothing but a handful of grain (so that he doesn't feel left out at dinner time) and lots of hay. He's been on a consistent worming schedule, and can be a little bit of a brat about the worming tube, so I just mix it into his feed with a little bit of molasses. He had Strangles when he first arrived and was on 20 odd pills a day for that, and they all got crushed and mixed with some applesauce and hovered right up. He's a good boy about meds.

The Not-As-Good:

He can still be a little pushy on the ground, but we're always working on it. It's not in an aggressive way, just in an oblivious way. ("Ooops, I stepped on you, sorry! Didn't see ya!") I let my novice-but-no-nonsense Dad handle him, and he has no issues, but I do see this pushiness being an issue for a smaller child or someone easily intimidated. I just give him an elbow in the rib and he minds his manners for the next few days.

He is shy about his ears. They were clearly tugged on at some point, before he reached me. I have always been very sensitive about this issue, and he trusts me enough to give them a good scritching. I have to unbuckle the crown of the halter to put it on, and he refuses to consider the expensive Cashel Mule flymask I got him. He gets better about the ears each day, it's just something to consider.

He chews when he gets bored. This is easily remedied by spraying nasty gook in his stall, but I would hesitate to put him out in nice board fencing without a hot wire. He is fine and respectful about my electric fencing.

He can be rough on his pasture mates, in the way rowdy boys are. He and the other submissive gelding in my herd of three can play for hours. And my alpha keeps him away with some pinned ears. But I maybe wouldn't put him in with someone who's not supposed to be running around.

My situation:

I don't have enough time for him. I'm halfway through college, and looking to go right into grad school afterwards. The limited time I have to spend with my "kids" is usually spent on my riding horse. I try to take poor Henry out for walks and, like previously mentioned, slowly started him in a riding program, but the fact of the matter is I just don't have a lot of time to spend with him at this point in my life. He is hanging out in the pasture, being bored.

What I'm Looking For:

Ideally, I'm looking for someone who wants to actually do something with Henry...whether that be ride him, drive him, give him a herd of sheep to watch over, whatever. He is a funny boy with a hilarious personality, and I feel bad that he's looking for a job to do and I can't give that to him right now. I'd like to send him out on a long term/short term free lease, and I'm willing to be quite flexible. If someone gets him going really well, and wants to keep him forever and ever, then they may have him! I just want him to be happy, healthy, and not end up in an auction again. He will ALWAYS have a home here with me, no matter what.

I'd like to keep him in the New England/New York area. (I'm in Western Mass.) I'm not crazy, I'm not looking to be at someone's house every week checking up on him, but I'd like him within reasonable driving distance just in case something happens. I'd like someone open to emailing me every once and a while with updates....again, I'm not crazy and looking for daily updates, I just want to keep track of him and avoid all the free-lease horror stories that you hear about!

Thanks for reading this far! Like I mentioned, he has a home here with me always. But if there's someone out there that actually has a job for him to do, even for just a year or two, that's awesome and I'd like to give him that opportunity.

OMG he is just so good looking! Love to see him trained to jump. Would he like to move to maine?

Just wanted to add, I have seen Henry in person and this is probably the most handsome, dare I say, pretty, mules I have ever seen! And quite the love!! Someone will very much enjoy him, for whatever use he may serve!

Thanks Drummerboy! He is quite a looker in the summer with all his dapples!

Goldponies, he just might! He grows a nice thick winter coat, and only wears his turnout sheet on the yuckiest of days. Feel free to send me a PM with your details/ideas/etc.

Just want to bump this up again....I'm still looking for a situation for Henry.

I'm going to be entering my senior year of college in the fall and it's looking like it's going to be a toughie. After that, I'm setting off to flounder my way in "the real world" and try to get a job. I have less and less time to spend with poor Henry (nevermind my "riding horse" who I haven't sat on in over a year now) and I would love to find him a job somewhere.

I'm willing to be super flexible with terms, so hit me up with some ideas. I'm down to pay for his vet/farrier bills, or his feed bills, or trailer him to his new home, whatever. Keep him for a year, two years, forever! If it's going to make or break the deal I'll even send him to a local trainer for a couple of weeks to get him "re-started" and then send him off to you. He is too nice of a boy to sit in my pasture twiddling his metaphorical thumbs!

He's up to date on all his shots/farrier work/and has a new Coggins. I am as honest about him as I can be because I want him to find a good situation, so ask me any question you want.

Let me know! Send me a PM, post here, or shoot me an email at k.laurenitis@gmail.com

Just want to add another update: Henry will be leaving for 30 days of pro training in a bit, so will be unavailable until about mid-May. But once he's home I'll get some videos of his new-and-improved self, and maybe he will appeal to a wider audience.

He is so adorable! Do you think he would get along with mares?
    In loving memory of Chutney (1977 - 2008)