The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

A recent change in managers (amomg other things has sent many of my fellow boarders scampering to other barns... somehow I don't see what all the fuss is about. I can see each side of the arguments ( boarders & owner) each has their own point of view on the matter but I don't really have any major problems... am I missing something? It's kinda like the Oprah question... My husband thinks she is a phony I'm not quite sure. Maybe there is something wrong? I just don't see it? My horse is well taken care of. I have no complaints. I get along well with owner/trainer/head instructor Only one thing kind of bugs me is the nomadic nature of the assistant instructors. But I'm told that is what the business is like... your thoughts or input please. Can a few people just disrupt a barn with bad talk? http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...ilies/uhoh.gif

A recent change in managers (amomg other things has sent many of my fellow boarders scampering to other barns... somehow I don't see what all the fuss is about. I can see each side of the arguments ( boarders & owner) each has their own point of view on the matter but I don't really have any major problems... am I missing something? It's kinda like the Oprah question... My husband thinks she is a phony I'm not quite sure. Maybe there is something wrong? I just don't see it? My horse is well taken care of. I have no complaints. I get along well with owner/trainer/head instructor Only one thing kind of bugs me is the nomadic nature of the assistant instructors. But I'm told that is what the business is like... your thoughts or input please. Can a few people just disrupt a barn with bad talk? http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...ilies/uhoh.gif

The grass isn't always greener. If your happy and your horse is well taken care of then thats all that matters.
    There will always been the angry gossipers pretty much wherever you go.
    Seen it pretty much every place I've boarded, except where I board now.
    But, again if you and your horse is happy I'd stay put.

"If they all jumped off a bridge, would you??" http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...s/winkgrin.gif

If your horse is happy and you're pretty darn happy, I'd stay put. At the barn it's about my horse, then me, THEN everyone else (if I decide to pay any attention at all).

And the fact that you stayed while others bailed will put you a little higher on the list. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

Thanks for the votes of confidence... but have you come accross this problem of assistant instructors being nomadic in nature? Staying a few months & then just moving on?

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

That happens to barn managers around these parts! I would imagine it happens with instructors as well... http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/yes.gif
    "Good gardening is very simple, really. You just have to learn to think like a plant." ~Barbara Damrosch~

I agree with the other posters, the most important thing is to do what makes you and your horse happy.

Been at a barn where that kind of shift happened and it was only after the dust cleared that I realized how the negative gossip had been annoying me and once the whiners had moved on I was able to enjoy myself once again.

I have noticed a good deal of transitory behavior from instructors if they do not own the riding facility, or have some sort of familial tie to the owners.

Boarders, too, can have nomadic tendencies, and like geese they always seem to travel in flocks... http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I've noticed in boarding, at college and in business, one outspoken, negative person can spoil the well for the whole group. If someone starts complaining, it can become contagious. If you are happy with your situation and your horse is happy and well cared for, I would suggest you just shrug it off.

Sounds like you probably have an honest, straightforward arrangement with the owners/managers of your barn. Remember that in a lot of cases that is simply not true. Disgruntled former boarders may have had special financial or care arrangements with the former managers, and the new people didn't want to continue these arrangements. Happens all the time. If your horse is well cared for and happy, and you are happy, then don't worry about other people, and stay right where you are.
    If you must choose between two evils, choose the one that you've never tried before.

Barns can sure be like families. Some great, some you'd prefer to be an orphan.

Unless I know the new barn owner personally, I give em' a chance to show their talents and management style. There are teething problems with any business, so a hiccup in the place is expected and should be taken care of fairly quickly.

Instructors, trainers and barn help can be pretty gypsy-like...they're here, they're gone. So, don't loan them any money, you'll probably not get it back.

I'm a big believer in "kick out the bitchers, they'll poison the well".
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Well, if you don't think there's a problem, then you should certainly stay there. If your horse is well taken care of and there is someone there to teach you, and there good, I guess that's what matters. I'm sure the other people had they're own reasons, and they mayeven be good reasons for all we know, but if you don't know about them, they probably don't concern you. They'll do what they have to, and you should just leave them to their business. Although I'm not sure I see the relation to Oprah, or how it is fake.

From what I've seen, it is fairly common for instructors and hired help to move around. But if they're leaving every couple of months, and consistantly, there may be reason to try to find out why everoneis leaving.

But I have a question. What does a few people spreading rumors have to do with these people leaving the barn? If you don't know why they're leaving how do you know its rumors? Sounds like they could actually have reasons. And are these people actually spreading rumors about your barn? I've known people who have left barns before (including me) without hatin the place. Sometimes you just need a change. And if there are rumors, chances are they've been around for a while, anyways. Some people have problems with other peoples' training methods, but that is not likely to make people who already know and like the place leave.

~Marissa
    Horses are life.

If you come to a fork in the road, take it.

Life\'s Big. Just jump it.

This is for sousha and summerlawns if u want to know the reason that people left it is because there was a crazy owner and his lying wife. also if u think the people who left were whiners then i dont no whats wrong with u those were the greatest people. its u thats the problem all those people were good people who have a brain so they left the barn and the trainers were wonderful i dont know what planet u were on. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_eek.gif

I agree with the other people who have posted that you should stay if you like the barn, but if many people are leaving you might want to talk to them before you post something on the internet because people on the internet are NOT going to understand the situation if you don't know anything about it yourself. My opion is talk to the people at your barn and figure out what is really going on before you judge everyone who is leaving.

Like many other said, if you're happy, and your horse is happy, stay. Why leave a place that you are currently happy with, just to follow the crowd? Who knows, some of those people might just be back before you know it.
    *Worthwhile*
    http://community.webshots.com/album/159338172AjdUVn
    *Believe In Me*
    *Bolero*
    *Look No Further*

maybe people are leaving cause they know whats really going on? maybe people should know that other people r goin to find out what u write about them and know that u call them whiners??? http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/yes.gif

It appears as though this thread is mainly a conversation between people who know each other...and perhaps doesnt belong here? Seems like it's getting a little "personal."
    Save a life...be an organ donor! Visit www.Transplantbuddies.org

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Silk:
    It appears as though this thread is mainly a conversation between people who know each other...and perhaps doesnt belong here? Seems like it's getting a little "personal." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, aren't you a perceptive one

maybe the person who first wrote it should of thought that it was personal like u guessed

Well, Birchwood, let me guess. Are you about 16 and one of the complainers?

Now, before you go postal on me, let me just say: there are people in this world who love to bitch and moan. There are others who think they've got to follow the crowd. And there are people who can look at the situation objectively, and then there are some who are completely obtuse.

I didn't see anything that was personal or pointed until you showed up.And your situation is not unique: barns spontaneously combust on a regular basis. It happens, people move on and sort themselves out, and everyone's happy--with one exception: the bitch n' moan types are never happy. Why? because they LOVE to be unhappy.

Given your comments and your text-messaging shorthand (by the way, you'll get more respect on this board it you don't use IM-speak), I'm thinking you need to take a deep breath, back up, and realize that if someone's in the wrong, they'll hang themselves eventually. Go off half-cocked, and you'll be the one fashioning the noose.

Just a little advise from an older ammy who doesn't know you from Adam: Chill.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.