The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ulcer treatment, www.Omeprazoledirect.com? Has anyone tried their product?

I am curious if anyone has tried their omeprazole product and if this above board? Below is info on their website.

Check this out; http://www.equine.omeprazoledirect.com/
    Spier® 700mg Omeprazole Granules and Tablets direct from manufacturer, no script required.

What's the offer then?

Try our Spier® granules, at NO COST!
    (Yes thats : no cost - zero - zip - free - gratis)
    We will send you 20 sachets to try. If they are effective and result in a reduction in symptoms, we know you will want to order more! So, we will send you the remaining 92 and debit your account for the full 112 sachets.

(3 sachets a day for an 1150 lb horse @ $1.50 each)

I ordered them (but used an old cancelled credit card just in case they weren't on the up and up). I received the samples, but quite frankly, have been sort of afraid to try them. Keep meaning to ask what the results are from others. So now I'm asking. How did they work?

Would the product actually work? I tried omeprazole pills before but they only worked if you could get them into the stomach whole (not chewed).

From my understanding GastroGard/Ulcergard works because the carrier doesn't allow the drug to break down until it reaches the stomach.

The drug omeprazole does not have to be given 3X/day. A single dose is effective for 24 hours in both humans and horses. This ad is a scam.

rcloisonne - they are selling this as a once a day pill or in granulated form.
    The question I have about this company is that the medicine is being manufactured in India and sent to USA from offshore and I would be concerned that it is not really omeprazole. So I am wondering if anyone has tried it from this company?

Quote Originally Posted by kitsunegari View Post
    Would the product actually work? I tried omeprazole pills before but they only worked if you could get them into the stomach whole (not chewed).

From my understanding GastroGard/Ulcergard works because the carrier doesn't allow the drug to break down until it reaches the stomach.
    It actually has to get past the stomach and into the small intestine to be absorbed through the wall of the small intestine and then into the blood stream, then the stuff can chemically inhibit the production of acid, if it is broken down in the stomach it will not work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mare mom View Post
    rcloisonne - they are selling this as a once a day pill or in granulated form.
    OK, gotcha. 700mg x 3 = 2,100mg/day is about right also.

The question I have about this company is that the medicine is being manufactured in India and sent to USA from offshore and I would be concerned that it is not really omeprazole. So I am wondering if anyone has tried it from this company?
    My biggest concern would be how the drug is protected from stomach acid, which destroys it. That's the single biggest drawback with all of the generic omeprazole compounds I've seen so far other than than the fact nobody's testing them to ensure the drug is compounded correctly and that it contain the stated amount per dose.

Just look at many of the OTC supplements on the market that when actually tested contained far less than the amount of whatever listed on the containers. People in the US often want less regulation and lower costs. All too often what you get is dishonesty and fraud.

This one's been hashed out in a previous thread--same company, same question, same debate about omeprazole and stomach acid. Try searching the forums for "omeprazole direct" and I bet it'll come right up.

I ordered the granules from this company and had no issues whatsoever with communication, shipping, etc.

I chose to order the granules versus the tablets as I was concerned that my horse would chew up the tablets thereby negating the purpose of the enteric coating.

As stated all over their website, this product is enteric coated which protects the granules/tabs until they get to the hindgut. The coating is a lovely royal blue color so you can see all the granules quite well in the feed tub if any get left behind.

I did a one-month treatment dose on my horse, feeding him three sachets once a day for 28 days. They have a dosage calculator on the site so you can determine how much you need based on weight and whether it's a treatment or maintenance dose.

From the time I placed my order, it took about 11-12 days to arrive. The site states that it can take up to 21 days given that it's coming from India.

My only complaint would be that it's tough to get the granules out of the packet/sachet due to a bit of static that builds up making the granules cling to the packet. You also need to cut them open as they don't tear easily.

For me, it was worth the gamble to see if the product worked as I really don't have the funds for a one-month treatment of Gastroguard or Ulcerguard. This was about $140/month versus $1K. My horse came to me extraordinarily underweight due to lack of hay and grazing and he's a cribber (controlled with a collar - always on), so it's likely that he had ulcers. I didn't have the benefit of scoping him before and after treatment to really measure the results.

My horse has improved in terms of weight gain, energy, attitude, etc. Of course much of this was likely due to straightening out his diet altogether and getting him fitter and turned out for longer periods of time. I haven't exactly run the "cleanest" experiment, but nonetheless I'm happy I gave it a whirl and will likely keep him on a maintenance dose as he's in regular work (4x/week - eventing). I'll likely step up the dose before, during, and after stressful periods of training and showing.

rcloisonne, I totally understand your POV on whether this product meets certain standards and people wanting something for nothing. For me, I figured it was worth a shot. Everyone needs to look at their own situation and decide that. If I had a really, really expensive horse I may not be so daring, but then I could probably afford the conventional route anyway!

Default Best price for gastrogard?

Will be starting some horses on doxy, and this time around I am also doing gastrogard as a help to ward off ulcers, etc.

Any suggestions? thanks in advance.

Entirelypets.com is the best price I think at 29.99 a tube.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

I have a script at entirely pets, but I thought their pharmaceutical license was pulled?

I used the 700 mg from what was previously ponymeds and they worked fantastic. I fed them to my picky eater with about 8 tums (tropical fruit)...he loves the flavor. My pony is all fixed and fabulous. Don't let them tell you that they don't work....the proof is in the pudding and at a fraction of the cost.
    The rider casts his heart over the fence,
    the horse jumps in pursuit of it.

–Hans-Heinrich Isenbart

horsewarehouse.com has been the best price for Ulcergard (Which is the same as Gastrogard if you do it according to the whole tube, not the 4 doses). $28.93/ tube when getting 6+ tubes, or $31.84 on 1-5. I use them quite often, and they are quite expedient.
    Standardbred Lover- owner of Studs Hooligan, aka Strider, ex- pacer, retrained for eventing and endurance
    Strider-OTSTB-, Gus-OTTB-, and Rio-rescued QH!
    Founder of the High Maintenance Horses Clique

thanks, I will check them out. Seems like I have a few horses who are getting picky about grain, one symtom of ulcers...ugh.
    Plus, I have the doxy horses.

Default Worked for my horse

I treated my TB with a month of Ulcergard and then went down to a maintenance dose, whereupon he started acting ulcery again. I ordered the granules from Omeprazole Direct and had to wait a while for it to arrive, a couple of weeks, while keeping my horse on the maintenance dose of UG. A couple days after putting him on the full dose of granules he was on the mend again. I wish I had started out with the granules--it would have saved me a ton of money! Then again, maybe he needed that month of the official, tested stuff. Anyway, he had another 4 weeks at the treatment dose and I'm going to keep him on a maintenance dose of the granules and see how it goes, but I was fairly impressed at how well it worked for him. He's even been stallbound for weeks at a time with little bits of turnout in the indoor because of all the snow here on the East Coast and he's been chilled out about it. It seems like treating the ulcers has made him more chilled out about everything--that's how I could tell he felt better on the granules--way less spooky and could go a little forward under saddle. I was sweating about being able to afford a maintenance dose of UG, because even the cost of the granules is making me sweat a little bit--my husband and I wiped out our meager savings between my horse's UG treatment and some ungodly car repairs.

It takes time to get the packets, so plan ahead if you're running out, but IMHO it's worth trying the packets and saving some money. If it doesn't work for your horse, I might buy the packets from you so that I can get them quicker.

Can you feed the granules mixed in with WET feed or does that remove the protective coating?

If that is the case, how do you get them to eat them - mine are expert sorters?