The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can an ammie rider leasing a horse ride in amature owner division?

Just wondering as I have a student that is leasing 2 horses from a woman and it has been beyond many moons since I have been to an A hunter show Can she show ammie owner? or just as an ammie? No she recieves no pay for anything.

no, lease horses cannot be shown in the A/Os

Nope just Adult/Amateur. Unless horses are owned by yourself or someone in your immediate family, you can show them in the A/Os.
    "to live is the rarest thing in the world, most people merely exist."

it is called amateur owner for a reason, right

No. It is called ammie owners for a reason

Quote Originally Posted by GaellentQuest View Post
    Just wondering as I have a student that is leasing 2 horses from a woman and it has been beyond many moons since I have been to an A hunter show Can she show ammie owner? or just as an ammie? No she recieves no pay for anything.
    If she has an amateur card, she can show in the Adult Amateurs on ANY horse (owned, leased, or otherwise). But in the AmateurOwner division she can only ride a horse she owns., or a family member owns.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Thank you. That is what I thought. But I didn't know since if they are leaseing the horse they are covering all the fees. Just an traner wandering over from Eventer land with a student who wants to show a couple of horses that can't cut it for eventers and am letting her lease them as they are never for sale. (stallions standing at stud)

also an option, if you really want to show at 3'6":

you send a BOS in, they switch the ownership, you show in the A/Os, then when the lease is up, send in a resell BOS and they switch it back.

shady, I know, but legal ...

Quote Originally Posted by Alterrain View Post
    also an option, if you really want to show at 3'6":

you send a BOS in, they switch the ownership, you show in the A/Os, then when the lease is up, send in a resell BOS and they switch it back.

shady, I know, but legal ...
    LOL...'til the kid refuses to sell you back the horse. You will have no legal standing to retrieve your horse
    Save a life...be an organ donor! Visit www.Transplantbuddies.org

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    LOL...'til the kid refuses to sell you back the horse. You will have no legal standing to retrieve your horse
    Yes that would be quite a problem!

where are you showing ? A/A jumpers goes up to 1.15m most places, that is 3'6"- 3'9".
    Last edited by Ray; Feb. 27, 2010 at 10:19 AM. Reason: correction

The girl would be showing in the hunter division not jumpers. One only on the flat and 2'6 due to horse having an old injury and the other could do the 3'-4' hunters if once he is back into shape decides he likes jumping enough for him to enjoy his job. He has the form for it and is very laid back and would win on the flat, but it all depends on if he wants to be shown as a dressage horse or takes to jumping.

how old are the students ? that would help us to help you!
    for 2'6", there is no AO division, no one cares if you are leasing the horse.
    if other horse is shown by an adult, they can show in adult amateur, which is 3' (sometimes 3'3")

the girl, I should say woman is 25. I know she does not need it for the one horse, but if it goes well with the other horse it would be the one that would do well at the 3'-4' classes.

the girl, I should say woman is 25. I know she does not need it for the one horse, but if it goes well with the other horse it would be the one that would do well at the 3'-4' classes.
    Could she enter the Regular Working Hunter? I believe it is set at 3'9"-4'0"?

Thank you. That is what I thought. But I didn't know since if they are leaseing the horse they are covering all the fees. Just an traner wandering over from Eventer land with a student who wants to show a couple of horses that can't cut it for eventers and am letting her lease them as they are never for sale. (stallions standing at stud)
    wait, these horses are stallions? check with the show cause some places don't allow stallions.
    Oldenburgs do it better

rip mystic puddin' 1984-2006
    rip banacek 1992-2007

Working Hunter will often include pro's. To get some experience in Hunterland, my advice would be to see if the better jumping horse does well in Am.Adults 3'3" before tackling Working. Its not as easy as it looks
    Last edited by Ray; Feb. 28, 2010 at 06:31 PM. Reason: ummm, forgot something

Thanks for the advise Ray.
    danosour- I didn't know there were any shows that an adult can not show a stallion? I'm from Eventer land and there have never been any events that I have been to that does not allow stallions.

No.

That rule changed for this competition year.

It used to be that you could register the lease with USEF and that made the adult leasing the "owner" for the purpose of showing.

Sadly that's no longer the case... And it changed for the year I was hoping to step into the low A/O jumpers with the horse I'm leasing.

I've never heard of an adult not being able to show a stallion. I think that only applies to the Jr/Childrens/Pony divisions. They don't want the kids riding them. However a junior can ride in an open division unless that has changed over the past twenty years. I rode a stallion in some open hunter classes as a kid.