The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    F*alter*ed Guest

Default Lost it today -- and embarrassed

Not exactly a vent, more of a confession -- and a what would COTH do?
    I absolutely lost my temper today for the first time I can remember.
    I was at an unfamiliar barn, riding an unfamiliar horse that has been only very lightly started under saddle. The hay wagon pulling in spooked the horse and it bolted.
    Fine, I got it back in a hurry, no harm done.
    Then, as I’m finishing and preparing to dismount, the hay truck is pulling out and the horse bolts again. Fine. I get it back and we turn to stare at the hay truck.
    My ground person is coming to catch the horse by the head. I put a hand up -- as in please hang on, I’m getting off.
    Three people in the cab of the truck hang out the window and stare as they rev the engine and my horse wheels and bolts a third time.
    I lost it.
    I started screaming and swearing at the top of my lungs in a way I have only done in the privacy of my car. They’re still staring, either ignorant of their involvment or enjoying the show, as they rev the engine again. The horse, naturally, leaps and plunges some more until they decide to leave more slowly and with less accompanying engine noise.
    Then the horse stands, legs spraddled, shaking and puffing.
    I’m normally (always?) very quiet, so I was already embarrassed, although I don’t believe even the hay team could hear me over their truck. I didn’t see any boarders around, although they may have been on the other side.
    My ground person said I was 100% in the wrong. I was of the opinion that the swearing was inappropriate, but that a professional delivering hay to multiple farms should be a little aware of their surroundings??
    So, if you were minding your own at the barn this morning and heard a strange person cussing up a storm, that may have been me… I’m sorry.

Doesn't sound like you were in the wrong to me. I would have turned the air blue too.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

I wouldn't worry too much about it if it were me. I've used curse words at tehbarn in a lot less stressful situations than that!
    Who knows, maybe they didn't realize what was happening. Hopefully.

No biggie. Don't beat yourself up over it.

Damn, you mooned the farm! As in, showed your behind...

now have a cold one and get over it.

I thought wonders what you did, beat a horse into a bloody pulp, but cussing....

Did the stall muckers and sailors blush at least?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

F*alter*ed, you have my support for protecting yourself. I too would have been very very upset after what appears to be purposly done at the sake of your safty.

The hay wagon and the people in charge of that barn should be aware and responsible for their own actions or lack of. What if you got hurt or the young horse got hurt. No one would be laughing then, but running quickly.... as I am not in error.

It may not of been you today, but perhaps you needs to be more vocal at times like these. If someone doesn't speak up, then it will continue and continue until something bad does happen at someone's expense.

Good for you.... and I hope they (wagon) heard you...

I was under the impression swearing and green horses went hand in hand????

If I was on a horse, green or not, who was freaking out about a truck engine I would be swearing too..........

Disclaimer;
    Nearly all of what I post will be controversial to someone. Believe nothing you read on a chat room, research for yourself and LEARN.
    Not in the 42% or the 96%

Oh please don't beat yourself up about this.

EVERYONE has days when they just about lose it, and on a different day, I'm guessing you might not have had the same reaction - often there's no real knowing why one reacts the way they do, even to themselves. Well that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it

Those guys probably didn't hear you, or will think twice next time.... Regardless, I don't believe you were in the wrong.

And, if anyone knows you at the barn, they will not make judgments if they know what you're normally like.

Personally, I find it very cathartic to use obscene language in some situations and find it funny when others do too. Makes us all human, you know.

Glad to hear you and the horse survived in one piece.

I do not think you were wrong either - people need to be aware of what is going on in a barn or there wil be accidents. The truck drivers will need to learn how to approach a barn or will eventually cause an accident and lose the job ! They should know this ~ if they have ever delivered hay and if they don't know or have forgotten ~ they needed to be told and or reminded for barn safety. You could have been injured as well as the horse. IMHO
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Quote Originally Posted by F*alter*ed View Post
    I was of the opinion that the swearing was inappropriate, but that a professional delivering hay to multiple farms should be a little aware of their surroundings??
    So, if you were minding your own at the barn this morning and heard a strange person cussing up a storm, that may have been me… I’m sorry.
    please please tell me it was not one of my trucks ????

anyway 4 decades on this earth has only dulled my temper not killed it...

boys who deliver hay are hired for their honesty,stamina,truck driving skills and the ability to (eventually ) return home to the hay barn

horse skills...not so much

Tamara in TN
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

I would have done the same thing!!! What idiots those guys were driving the hay wagon....honestly they should know better.

F*alter*ed Guest

You guys are fantastic.
    I really don't know anyone at this barn, so they probably think I'm a psycho!
    I was just completely caught off guard when my VERY horsey ground person/bf -- but from a different discipline -- gave me a shrug and, "Babe, it's not their fault if you can't control your horse."

Lord knows he's a heck of a rider and a relaxed dude. But ... wow. He made me feel about two inches tall!
    Thank you for all the moral support -- and yeah, I was having visions of what could happen to brand new not my horse more than me!!

F*alter*ed Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara in TN View Post
    please please tell me it was not one of my trucks ????

anyway 4 decades on this earth has only dulled my temper not killed it...

boys who deliver hay are hired for their honesty,stamina,truck driving skills and the ability to (eventually ) return home to the hay barn

horse skills...not so much

Tamara in TN
    lol
    your boys would have been a very long way from home, so i think they're off the hook! but thank you!

Its not a matter of controling your horse.....that horse out weighs you by ALOT, and if the horse doesnt want to stop, its not going to, especially when it just had the crap scared out of it....You had every right to yell and swear....Now if that "ground" person was on the horse when this happened, what would he have said??

While you might have been embarassed because you don't normally cuss like that, I sure wouldn't worry about it.

You were certainly NOT in the wrong either.

Hell, if it had been me, I'd have run right over to that truck cussing like the crazy woman I can be and really let the hay people have a piece of my mind.

I used to be very shy and hold things in, letting them build up and up and up and then all of a sudden blow over the most insignificant thing. Now I just plain blow at anything and get it off my chest immediately.

My neighbors son, who used to work with Louise, told her that he was really impressed with the way I could cuss! It sure better than beating on a horse or person.

I figure I'd rather cuss and blow off steam right away...course that's one reason I don't own a gun. If I did, there would probably be a lot of bodies to bury!

Oh and for the record, I really learned to cuss in my 20's when I taught riding at a private girls boarding school. Those little rug rats could out cuss a troop of soldiers easily! :yes;
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

The ground person said YOU were 100% in the wrong?? Why? Didn't they see what happended? What exactly did they SAY to you? I just can't imagine! We're they nasty to you after what the drivers did? Didn't they realize how dangerous it was?

EDITED- I see the GP is your BF--- ; )
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

Quote Originally Posted by Chardavej View Post
    The ground person said YOU were 100% in the wrong?? Why? Didn't they see what happended? What exactly did they SAY to you? I just can't imagine! We're they nasty to you after what the drivers did? Didn't they realize how dangerous it was?

It was her significant other...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Quote Originally Posted by F*alter*ed View Post
    I was just completely caught off guard when my VERY horsey ground person/bf -- but from a different discipline -- gave me a shrug and, "Babe, it's not their fault if you can't control your horse."
    Dontcha know it...

You were completely entitled to yell and swear...

this summer I was handwalking a very fit very hot jumper with another guy who had also a very fit, very hot jumper. Neighbor decides at that moment to take down his above ground pool, behind a fence where the horses cannot see him, but can hear him, as I am walking on ashpalt...other guys horse rears, kicks tries to bolt- my horse starts to freak on the asphalt.

I am screaming at the top of my lungs, "STOP STOP STOP bleap bleap STOP NOW"...and the bozo does not stop.

Finally the BO hears me from 3 times as far away as this guy, comes running down and leans over the fence telling him to stop.

Sometimes I think people want to see horses flip out...not thinking that they are putting humans in danger.

Quote Originally Posted by gloriginger View Post
    Sometimes I think people want to see horses flip out...not thinking that they are putting humans in danger.
    Or not caring. If you've ridden along roads you've most likely seen a LOT of this...

yeah, last year I was on a road for quite a while and was amazed at how fast people drove by us...the horse I was on was very road safe, the only thing he snorted at for the 3 hours was a garden nomb...but I can't blame him, those things are creepy.