The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stupid Question about PowerPacs

Is there a reason that I can not use 5 tubes of Panacur, as opposed to buying Panacur PowerPac?

I have the ValleyVet (horse.com) catalog in front of me...
    Both are 10% Fenbendazole and one tube treats 1,250#.

The PowerPac is $52.95 (or, $10.59/dose)
    One tube of Panacur is $6.95 (or, $34.75/5 doses)

Am I missing something here? My mare has now been on the road with the shipper for almost 2 weeks (Jacksonville, FL to Oak Harbor, WA -but not in Oak Harbor yet). Since she's been with all those icky other horses, I was planning on doing a PowerPac on her.

I need to do a fecal, but it's not happening in the next week or so.

Thanks for the insight!
    (told you it was a stupid question!)
    Steppin Not Dragon "Bella"
    Top Shelf "Charlie"
    Check out the Military + Horses fb page!

The PowerPack dose is twice the dose of the single tubes (so double dosing for 5 days).

-Jessica

*headdesk*
    Thanks Jessica... told you it was a stupid question.
    Steppin Not Dragon "Bella"
    Top Shelf "Charlie"
    Check out the Military + Horses fb page!

No problem! I asked exactly the same question about a year and a half ago, on this very same forum, so I figured I was qualified to answer
    -Jessica

Psst--search this forum for the words "liquid fenbendazole". Nobody should be paying $52.95 for a Powerpac. For a single horse you can get it down to about $32.
    Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog, Launching September 2015 http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

$32-ish really only works if the horse is in the 1000lb range. Once you get even remotely close to 1100lb, then you need a 3rd bottle, and then you're unfortunately in the $51 range with leftover stuff

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    $32-ish really only works if the horse is in the 1000lb range. Once you get even remotely close to 1100lb, then you need a 3rd bottle, and then you're unfortunately in the $51 range with leftover stuff
    As someone with a 1200-pound horse who's been in this pickle, I know the options.

If you're only PowerPac'ing on one occasion, and you've only got one horse that weighs 1086+ pounds, then yes you are probably stuck with the $53 PowerPac for up to 1250 lbs. But if you're doing PowerPac at least once yearly on at least one horse....

1. Buy the third 125mL can of the liquid fen and store the excess for the next PowerPac. Like most wormers, it has a shelf life of 1 year plus. I am not above calling customer service and asking for the exact expiration date that I'm going to get.

With a third bottle split over the course of two PowerPacs, you can dose up to a 1358-pound horse. Net cost: $39.87 per PowerPac. Not too shabby compared to $52.95 or more.

At 3 PowerPacs or more, it becomes more economical to get the 1000mL jug. I've never had occasion to buy it since I only own a single horse and PowerPac once yearly.

OR

2. Buy the Safe-Guard cattle tube, which is enough to dose up to 1195 pounds (technically it doses more, but I round down to accommodate the dosing gun that can only dose 5 grams at a time). The first year you do have to buy the gun for $10 more, but in subsequent years you're only paying for the Cattle Tube at approx. $39.

If you add just one regular 25-gram tube of Safe-Guard to this party, now you're able you're able to dose up to 1300 lbs for around $45. It's only $7 less than a pre-boxed PowerPac, but hey it's something.
    Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog, Launching September 2015 http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/