The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Found young baby squirrel, help!!

Hubby and I found a very young baby squirrel today. He apparently fell out of the nest into a pig pen, where he almost became piggy dinner. He crawled right into my hands and started trying to nurse off my fingers.

So obviously he's still really young, since he's trying to nurse. I offered him a bowl of milk, and he was not interested. He did lick some water out of the kitchen sink while I got his cage ready.

So what do I feed him? He's a bit smaller than a hamster. I gave him some water and a little bit of chick food (all I have for tonight).

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

We had a whole entire thread devoted to Squirrel raising due to abandonment/accidental capture. Lots of great information there.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

First of all, get him a hot water bottle to cuddle up with..he's cold.

Then secondly, call your local wildlife rehabilitator. A list of them in your area should be found quite easily online.

When I found a baby squirrel, first I got it warm and then I started making phone calls. I had to talk to a few different people, but eventually I got the number of a lady who did nothing more than squirrel/small rodent rehab. Luckily, she was just a half hour away from me....I drove him up there, and she immediately started caring for him. I left an email and got a pic of him a few weeks later, big and healthy.

The average person, simply because of a lack of knowledge/other time consuming issues, is not able to properly care for an abandoned baby. They need special care, and it's best to take them to someone who knows how to give them that care.

Good idea with the hot water bottle. I have a microwaveable hot pack I can use, and I have a light too. Right now he's in a towel in my lap, with a bit of warm sugar/salt water in his belly.

Best I can figure from looking online, he's about 5 weeks old.

I will search for that thread, and make some phone calls tomorrow. I have the time to take care of him (don't work), but I need to figure out how to do it.

ok I just saw this or I would have jumped on it already.
    First thing you have to do is keep him very very warm. A water bottle is good, a heating pad is better if he is still little enough not to chew on it, as long as it doesn't have an automatic shut off
    You need to rehydrate him.
    Go to the store and get some pedialyte, and some small syringes if you don't have any. Squirrels are very hard to feed with a bottle, it's easy to aspirate them. Syringes work much better.
    For at least the first day you will probably have to give him a few drops of pedialyte every hour or so until he gets rehydrated. he won't eat until he is.

AND DONT" GIVE HIM COWS MILK OR KITTEN FORMULA
    they need the esbilac puppy formula.
    where in FL are you? I can get him from you if you want, they are a lot of work.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Quote Originally Posted by Cammie View Post
    oh you had to post my old thread about Rodney. I just sat here and reread it all. And now I'm crying. He was so cool.
    But anyway, I had the three that came after, who have since been released. Little Bastard hung out for awhile, and now seems to have gone on his way.
    Rico and Renny still come every day and take peanuts out of my hands and have nests right behind my barn.
    I also got 9 more squirrels after them that we used Rodney's release cage to wild up for release, and they come visit me too every day.
    I have still been putting out food for them since they were pretty young when they came (just before christmas) and it's been so frigging cold.
    But y'all are making me think I need a squirrel fix again. They are really fun.
    Good luck with your baby, Hampton Bay, and I pm'ed you my cell don't hesitate to call me if I can help you with anything.

ps Rodney really liked watermelon
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

SquirrelMan Guest

I can help you!

www.SquirrelNutrition.com

Squirrel Nutrition and Care

HB, how is your little squirrel doing?