The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to find TB mares in Ocala?

I am looking for a nice TB mare to breed for myself. I have a large farm in N Fl and wanted to find a nice TB mare to bring home, but how do I find one in Ocala? There are dozens of TB farms there but I do not know where to begin to find a mare. Does anyone know where to go or call? I keep finding mares left and right off canter and other websites, but that is a REALLY long drive that I just don't want to make, especially with Ocala so close. So, if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be wonderful. TIA

Pa-eternally laboring in the infinite creative and sustentative work of the universe

I can recommend:

ENCHANTED LAKE FARM
    8998 W Hwy. 40, Ocala, 34482
    Office (352) 861-5496, Fax (352) 861-5498
    Email: dmwfnc72@aol.com
    Owner: Donna Wormser
    394 acres
    Training, boarding

http://www.darbydan.com/articles/fir...ve-a-colt.html

and here are others
    http://www.flfarmmanagers.com/direct...farmlist18.php
    IN GOD WE TRUST
    OTTB's ready to show/event/jumpers. Track ponies for perfect trail partners.
    http://www.horseville.com/php/search...=1&ssid=057680

Quote Originally Posted by dressagedevon View Post
    I am looking for a nice TB mare to breed for myself. I have a large farm in N Fl and wanted to find a nice TB mare to bring home, but how do I find one in Ocala? There are dozens of TB farms there but I do not know where to begin to find a mare. Does anyone know where to go or call? I keep finding mares left and right off canter and other websites, but that is a REALLY long drive that I just don't want to make, especially with Ocala so close. So, if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be wonderful. TIA
    There is a magazine out called the Ocala Farm Directory that you can get at the Seminole Feed store there by the OBS. That should give you all the information you need.

I should have also mentioned that I do not want to pay a lot for one, I keep hearing that there are free ones all over the place, it doesn't have to be free, but I don't want to pay thousands for one. Thanks

The folks at T.R.O.T. might have some suggestions for you.
    -Jessica

These guys have a bunch - some have been Parellied though http://www.hpaf.org/unstarted.html

Also; http://www.trfinc.org/
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Why do you want to breed? Do you know what you're doing, bloodstock wise? Do you know how expensive it is to breed, bring up, start and train a horse? If you do the math, you might decide a nice 4 year old is right up your alley. Sorry, I'm of the opinion that breeding should be left to the experts, not someone who is experimenting.

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

posted by LauraKY--
    Sorry, I'm of the opinion that breeding should be left to the experts, not someone who is experimenting.
    In defense of the original poster.... Every time a mare is bred it's an experiment, whether you're breeding to race, for sport, whatever--you never know what you're going to get until that foal is on the ground.

You know what an "expert" is, right? "Ex" means "former" and "spert" is a "drip". Even in racing where everyone thinks they've bred the next Secretariat there are tons and tons of horses bred by "experts" who are now literally dying for a good home.

But Laura you are right that the poster needs to have the wherewithall to train that foal and find either, or both, decent homes if things don't work out as planned.
    "Good gardening is very simple, really. You just have to learn to think like a plant." ~Barbara Damrosch~

Sorry, I've seen too many backyard "mistakes" because the owner/breeder was unable to make a good mare/stallion match or, god forbid, bred what they had. Then it's compounded by inadequate care/training, not intentionally, but because they just don't know what they're doing.

If you don't know what you're doing in breeding...DON'T!

(Edited: My apologies to the OP, for some reason I thought you were looking for a broodmare. Sorry if I misunderstood - have no idea where I got the impression. I'm leaving my original post up though, just to avoid any further confusion.)

The HPAF just took in a load of Thoroughbreds that were on death's doorstep. I know for a fact the manager was told to "dig a hole and shoot 'em all". Instead he called HPAF. If you look at their website under "new rescues" you will see them - skin and bones.

I believe these horses had their papers surrendered with the horses. So there might be a well-bred mare in there.

But.

Take a good, hard look at those pictures, and stop and think about what you are planning to do. These horses are part of the massive overproduction of Thoroughbreds over the last ten years - most produced because someone was sure they would get rich in the pinhooking business. They were passed along though the pinhooking conduit: Breeder to weanling buyer to yearling buyer to two-year-old buyer to trainer through the maiden ranks into the claimers and these poor mares ended up at some farm to produce the next batch, and when the Thoroughbred market failed, this is where they ended up - literally at death's doorstep.

If the OP is hoping to breed a Thoroughbred to raise and race and then retire for life, well, that's fine. Pick up one of these poor mares, nurse it back to health, and give it a shot. But if they are hoping to produce a sale horse when they don't want to spend much money on the mare, I advise them to forget it.
    Last edited by hitchinmygetalong; Feb. 28, 2010 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Clarification
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

LauraKy, you are right I too have seen to many scary breeding experiments! But I have though this through and I do have my own farm, so even if the foal does not turn out to be what I want as far as a dressage horse, it might still work out as a cow horse here or just a trail horse. I am working with my trainer and several other breeders I know to find a suitable match for what ever mare I end up with. I have an excellent horseman who breaks babies and does the most wonderful job with them, he has done two young horses I had, he broke them, then I sold them.

TB mares are a dime a dozen right now especially in Ocala. Try www.ocala4sale.com and craigslist Ocala Someone also mentioned hpaf.org but I don't tink they will adopt if you are going to breed. Could be wrong they are desperate to find homes for horse they've had many surrendered this winter and are overwelmed with horses.

Check out the giveway forum here, usually some available.

Here is one thread on one available in Ocala http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=243944

Good luck !!
    Richard, Approved Black KWPN Stallion
    Website
    and Facebook page
    Oh Kaptain Underpants SFS, Approved BRp pony stallion
    Website and Facebook page

Pa-eternally laboring in the infinite creative and sustentative work of the universe

It would be safe to say that if you contacted some local breeders, you'd find they could offer you some foals, weanlings, yearlings and maybe some 2yr olds; unstarted, and most likely
    for a very reasonable price.
    This way you could pick gender, size, color, even temperment.

This is not only advice I (standardly) offer, but have taken myself -- you could also contact the sire holder that you are thinking of breeding to ---- they may offer you further directions to some young stock.

If you are looking for some dressage prospects, check with http://jgappaloosas.com and their connections --- there is a liquidation of supurb stock, dressage oriented(and proven) -- spots AND solids.

Offered is an awesome filly, Waps Sharp Daisy for ONLY $2500 --born May 2008 out of Waps Rolls Royce --- located in Va.
    And, a lovely 2yr old filly out of Waps Applause for $3500
    >> Im sure there are some not advertised.
    The mares are shown and top winners in broodmare classes plus their stock is now worldwide and winning!
    .>>>not advertising, but giving you an idea of investments, it doesnt cost that much to buy the quality foal, yearling, 2yr old.

This breeder has produced excellent top placing dressage and hunter horses for over 20years!
    IN GOD WE TRUST
    OTTB's ready to show/event/jumpers. Track ponies for perfect trail partners.
    http://www.horseville.com/php/search...=1&ssid=057680

If you are wanting to breed this season, my suggestion is to stay away from the rescued mares from the HPAF. Although I'd be the first to line up to adopt one under normal circumstances, these mares are in poor condition and breeding them in such condition would be unfair, and probably not successful, IMO.

I'd find a younger mare that is in good flesh and cycling correctly. There are many of them available.

Are you planning on breeding to a particular stallion? If not, as others have mentioned, I would look around for foals/short yearlings that are out there as well. You may find one you fancy without the cost and wait.

I can't speak for Ocala specifically as I live a long ways from there LOL.

But, if you are looking for a TB broodmare for non-racing pursuits, the place to shop is in the fall, at the TB sales. Bred broodmares are offered there for not a lot of money. The stud fees for the foal they are carrying are paid prior to the sale, by the seller. The mares are "safely" in foal, no vet fees or work to be done there, checked to be in foal before the sale. Especially with the current economy, many mares who are not bred "fashionabley", or who have not produced racing stock to their previous owners satisfaction will bring one bid, or no bid at the sale, and can be purchased after the sale privately for not a lot of money. They tend to be in excellent condition, healthy and well cared for and well presented for the sale. This gives you a free foal the following spring, to either race, sell, or gear towards a sport discipline, as you see fit. It gives you a mare who has been successfully bred previously, and who has mothering experience. These are HUGE plusses for the potential broodmare shopper, working with a maiden mare of unknown mothering ability is risky, especially for a green breeder. Look closely for the reason why a mare is being offered for sale, make sure it is not for fertility problems or mothering ability problems.

Once you get a look at the foal she is carrying, this may help you decide IF you want to breed her for a sport specific foal, what stallion you might choose, and whether you want to invest money in AI procedures to a non-TB stallion etc. See how she cares for the first foal, if she has good milk and good mothering abilities.

Find a sale with a good number of mares to look at, to find one with the conformation and disposition you are looking for, and a pedigree and production history that will make her affordable to direct her into production of foals suitable for disciplines other than racing or market breeding.

Good luck and happy shopping.

I PMed you.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."-Hunter S. Thompson

Stand on a corner with a sign and you'll have 5 in an hour!

But seriously now is NOT the time to be breeding cheap mares for you or anyone else. There are tons of them available of all ages. The best place to look would be the fall and winter mixed sales in Ocala, great bargains and they are generally very well cared for. Plus you'll get more pedigree most of the time. But take a look at those prices in the past two sales results and see what your foal would be worth. You can save a ton of money and time by just buying a nice youngster (or getting one free). No need for anyone in FL to be breeding any horses!

Otherwise just search all the horse listings, the local classifieds and just stop by training centers and farms and ask if they have any available.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Check out the free listings on www.thehorse.com

Plenty of FLA mares that need homes on there.