The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horses Available For Free Lease Within 2 Hours of Martinsburg, WV

Like the title says, I am offering some of my horses for free lease (with contract and terms) within two hours of Martinsburg, WV which is located in the eastern panhandle of WV and is easily accessible to NoVA and parts of MD.

"Sassy" is a 1996 chestnut reg. Appaloosa mare who stands somewhere about 14 hands (I haven't measured). I bought her as a yearling, expecting finish out around 15.2 like her sire/dam, but she stayed pony-size. Her sire was top 10 in two divisions at the 1999 Appaloosa Nationals. She is broke to ride, and will w/t/c and has jumped small crossrails. Because of her size, she has been mostly a lawn ornament for me, but she is very cute and would be a neat project for an intermediate-type child/junior rider enrolled in a training program. She has great feet, and hasn't worn shoes in over a decade. She does have a slight club foot in her right front due to an old injury, but it has never given her a problem; she also has mild stringhalt affecting her left hind leg, but with a good warmup it's never been an issue. She is a fairly easy keeper, and ties, clips, bathes, loads, hauls, etc.

"Steel" is a 1995 grey unreg. Quarter Horse mare who stands about 15.2 hands. Steel is broke to ride, and is a wonderful w/t horse - but the canter needs a bit of refining. Over the last two years I have taught beginner w/t and intro dressage lessons on her without a problem, and have taken her to other barns to school. While I have not jumped her in a while, she has free jumped to 4' and has excellent form. She is barefoot, and has been without a problem for over a decade. She has good ground manners, is an extremely easy keeper (no grain required), and ties, clips, bathes, loads, hauls etc.

"Pasha" is a 1993 black reg. Arabian mare standing about 15.1 hands. Pasha is another one of my lawn ornaments - she is broke to ride, and will w/t/c easily for an intermediate rider, but it has been quite some time since I've ridden her. I've also never jumped her, but feel that she could potentially be a nice low-level dressage horse. Pasha would be a wonderful horse for someone where she can be the center of attention - she has unfortunately been overshadowed by others here and has never had my full attention. She is an easy keeper, with excellent feet and hasn't seen a set of shoes in over a decade. Don't let her age fool you, she looks like a five year old, with energy to match. She has good manners, and will tie, clip, bathe, load, haul, etc.

Pictures can be seen here:
    http://s862.photobucket.com/albums/a...arlitlaughter/

I apologize for the mostly candid shots - when the weather breaks I will try to get better ones. I am happy to answer any questions about them, and may be reached at starlitlaughter@gmail.com.

Bumping this up.

I really need to downsize my herd, and am aware that this is not the best time to be doing so. These horses are offered at no fault of their own.
    Last edited by starlitlaughter; Mar. 2, 2010 at 09:22 AM.

I am very interested in Steel. She seems perfect for me. Can you please send contact info to llltf3@yahoo.com. Thanks so much!! PS I live in NOVA!!!!

Laura

Bumping this up again. So far not much luck :-(

I think it's the "within two hours of Martinsburg, WV" that might be an issue. When I free-leased Lyon, his new home was 7-8 hours away in New Hampshire. She was just the right person for him...

<<When I free-leased Lyon, his new home was 7-8 hours away in New Hampshire. She was just the right person for him..>>

While that situation might have worked out for you, I have heard and seen horror stories of horses being leased out hours away and them being mistreated, neglected, or they just disappear. I am trying to avoid that by keeping them close enough to keep tabs on regularly, and two hours covers a wide range from me, and includes the Washington DC metro and NoVA area, Baltimore MD, Harrisburg PA, etc - it's a large area.

Default Question

Hello,

I may be interested in Sassy. I am in Purgitsville, WV (maybe just under 2 hours away) but I have some questions about her. If you could please get back to me that would be wonderful. You can e-mail me at amber_ratliff@aol.com

Thank you for your time,
    Amber Ratliff