The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pedigree Buffs: Opinions please!

Thoughts on this guy's bloodlines and record would be appreciated.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/dennybuck
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Love to see Caro and Buckpasser for eventers.

Equibase shows him having had 38 starts: http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbH...025&registry=T
    No Trouble
    2/2/05 - 7/29/13
    Rest In Peace my quirky brave boy, I will love you forever.

His record on Pedigreequery hasn't been updated in awhile. His record is actually 38 6-3-6 $ 61,167

I think he's got a nice pedigree for sport - Caro and Buckpasser are always nice to see.

What does he look like? How are his legs?
    -Jessica

lol Carried Away I was posting as you were. Great minds think alike, huh?
    -Jessica

He's reported to be 16.3+, although we haven't seen him in person yet. Best I can tell from the pictures, his legs look clean and the owners claim he's sound and easy to handle, just doesn't want to run anymore. If anything, it looks like he may toe out slightly in front but they weren't conformation shots so who knows.

He's a big bodied darker dappled grey with two whites. Quite a bit of bone to him, and appears to have decent feet.

I love Lyphard very very much. Associate him with game, athletic, catty and smart horses.

Default Siberian Express

Yes, Caro, Buckpasser and Lyphard are a plus.

He's doubled up on Ruffian's dam, Shenanigans, as well as Nearctic, son of super significant sire Nearco.

Looking at his charts, he has wins at distances ranging from just shy of a mile at 7f, to a mile & 1/16th -- and he nearly had a win at 5 1/2 f, lost by a head. He won on both synthetic and dirt. There was a stretch of time from the end of October in '08 til June of '09 in which he only had one race, in Feb '09. I'm guessing he was just taking a breather after October, coming off a nice win to top off a steady (but not heavy) campaign since his debut in 06 -- but I'm not sure why he took a break after the Feb race. Maybe he just wasn't competitive enough for Santa Anita.

I know three horses who tail male to Caro through Siberian Express: two that I own/ed through Salty Sea, and an Indian Charlie (In Excess) son that was on lay-up at a barn where I work.

All three have gentle, people-oriented temperaments.

The one I own, Salty's Actress, is so athletic, unbelievably light on her feet, likes to jump...but is a very tricky ride because she is so over-reactive. I love her to bits though. She is thinking all the time; her mind is very active. It makes her fun and difficult at the same time.

One I just sold, Salty's Actor, is also on the hot side but much less complicated than the Actress (with whom he also shares the same broodmare sire.) 'Super work ethic, really nice to be around.

Both of the Salty's have a long lean build, and pasterns long enough to make me hypervigilant about checking tendons and suspensories for heat, but retired from racing sound. Both have issues with anxiety. And, both inherited an escape artist gene -- but since they are so closely related, I can't say for sure which side of the family it came from, top or bottom.

The Indian Charlie is named Iwannabeacowboy, appropriately enough, because he could easily pass for a QH.

Both he and my Salty's Actress are confirmed bleeders. Cowboy bled and stopped in his final race. My Salty girl did not bleed at the track (that I know of), but disturbingly, bled visibly at home after taking it too far running at pasture through deep snow. That was a first for me.

On a trivial note, interestingly all three Siberian Express descendants mentioned have luxurious forelocks.
    Last edited by Barnfairy; Feb. 25, 2010 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnfairy View Post
    On a trivial note, interestingly all three Siberian Express descendants mentioned have luxurious forelocks.

A woman after my own heart.
    When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

Track vet says he has some bone thickening in his ankles, though he flexed sound on them, and would definitely recommend xrays as part of a PPE. Also said the owners take good care of this guy and that he's very easy to work with.

Unfortunate, because he has a cute face and that luxurious, sexy forelock Barnfairy mentioned. I can't say for sure whether this would be for resale or as a personal horse so I'm not sure what I think yet. We'll be up at the track Wednesday for some dental work on our others and may have to take a little detour and check this guy out.

He has very nice breeding!
    Loads of good old lines and I like how there are outcroppings to Irish, English, Canadian and Austrialian lines along with many of the top US lines:
    You will find THE TETRARCH several times and he was listed as one of the top event sires in a USEA mag several years ago - they are tough, sound and loads of fun. My 31 yo chestnut mare developed a roan/white spot which he passed. Also she still takes every opportunity to escape & play

Nearco, Man O'War, Native Dancer(twice) and Northern Dancer, Broomstick(thru War Whisk) are other good lines
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim