The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default My mudroom is TOO EFFING SMALL!

What with the snow and then the slush and the mud and more snow I am losing the battle here folks. And my whole house is starting to get that piquant tang in the air that just screams manure soup.

We have a boot brush at the bottom of the stairs - one trip out to the pasture and that brush is useless. We have a water filled bucket with a long handled scrub brush sitting on the ground next to it. Frozen solid today. Get up to the house and there is a plastic boot tray inside with a boot remover, then a batch of hall runners going into the kitchen, bathroom etc. The whole "first three steps" area is thick with dried mud through.

I know, I know, the best way to work this is completely modify the mudroom so there is hot and cold running water in there and a bathroom and it is not just a freakin' wide hallway with a washer dryer.
    I'm thinking maybe we should shift some stuff down to the shop - the really filthy boots and coveralls,but I don't relish pulling on pre-chilled clothing, plus put up some walkways out of the rocks we have so many of, but I think I am so fed up I am not seeing some simple solutions.

Are there any?

I have a chair set up in there for peeling off winter gear and shoes but it is just too cramped to be easy to use when the whole family is coming in from outside after chores, or even trekking back from the car with groceries! We're forever popping into the kitchen or going through the master bedroom to use the bathroom (we fill hot water buckets in our fancy garden tub - best use I've seen of the thing) and you can track whoever it was by the footprints and the hay chaff.

*sigh* I'll get over this soon I hope.

Thanks for reading my rant,
    Jessie aka trying to do the laundry in a mud puddle.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Yeah, mine too..the one I DON'T HAVE!!!!

Come directly straight into the kitchen from the garage....ugh....small landing at front door leading to carpeted stairs up or down...nowhere for muddy feet
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

Quit whining! I live in a fully carpeted apartment with NO mudroom. Not to mention cream carpets. UGH!! I'll be having fun with the Rug Doctor soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

We just broke down and put up more coat racks and a really ugly cubby hole shelf. I just cannot stand it. I'm putting baking soda on all the rugs, washing every pillow case and slip cover on the couch and just praying for spring.

I use the Roomba, vacuum several times a week, take off all shoes as soon as we enter. It's just an unwinable battle right now with the ice, snow, dust, mud and dogs. It's easier to keep the barn clean. And that could use a good powerwash right now. But of course we have to wait another 6 weeks for that.

I am there with you! We don't have a 'mudroom'. Laundry room off garage barely has enough room for washer and dryer, and its on the opposite side of the house than the barn, with the cars blocking the path from the door to the inside door anyway. Only good path from the barn to the house is across the deck and through the kitchen. I've been begging DH to make the deck a screened in porch so I can at least take off my boots.

Right now, my solution is a very large basket with high sides and a rag rug in the bottom. I come through the door, pull off the boots or shoes and toss them in the basket, which works better than a boot tray. Hats and goves go in another basket.

Of course, I still track sawdust and hayall over the house because all of my pants are too long, but the basket has been helping contain the really bad filth.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

We try to take our boots off in the garage, but the garage leads to the hall (laundry room is off that) and the hall is only 3 feet wide. So we end up with stuff everywhere. I'll leave the boots in the garage when it's above freezing, but this winter? No way. So there is dirt, dust, mud (and dirty paw prints) everywhere. Will this winter ever end?

We're trying to figure out how to make a mudroom in the garage so you don't directly enter the house, while still leaving enough room for a car. Haven't figured it out yet.

Gloating is not kind, but we have gotten stuff around so I NOW HAVE a place for coats, boots, in the new back room!! Used to be the laundry room, but husband moved things into the old, ex-kitchen near the back of house.

Husband BUILT ME a an armoire-closet/chest type thing, with a chest on the bottom holding barn shoes/boots on one side, nice shoes/boots on the other. One side with doors above is for barn coats, work sweatshirts, other side is for nice, non-stinky coats. This now been in use a week, LOVE IT!! So many pieces of stuff now corraled and contained. House is much less cluttered with all our shoes and boots. He also put up a nice coatrack with hooks on the stairway wall, does double duty as wet coat hanger and mitten dryer with all those hooks.

Special features I wanted are tall seat for the chest, so I could even get tall muck boots inside. I find it easier to sit on higher seat, get up again, than on low chair height seats. Riding boots are out in the tack room. He left off the wood on floor of chest part. I put in soft carpet pieces over vinyl floor of room. No wet wood floor of armoire that never dries out! Rugs on floor soak up wet or mud from boots, then can be removed to wash and mop floor. I had him leave off the back peice of wood on armoire. As already mentioned, barn clothing can get an aroma and is often wet. I usually wash stinky things, so the house doesn't smell bad. Tight closets don't allow airflow for things to dry, so they can get moldy in our humid air around here. With back off, there is a lot of air flow to help remove moisture, dry things out. Floor area of the chest has cut outs, so the corners look like furniture legs, allowing more air flow to dry boots and shoes. I put E-Z sliders under each corner, whole piece can easily be moved forward to wash floor behind, get back to pipes of washtub, paint the wall. Those sliders make heavy things easy to move on my vinyl! Armoire is about 6 1/2ft tall, so top is available for plastic, see-thru boxes for hats and gloves on the top. A real good bonus for storage. I had him paint the whole thing, blends a bit better with walls, easier to wash off mud spatters and dirt, than stained would be.

He left the laundry tub in that back room, now beside the armoire, excellent for filling buckets, washing items and a small dog! Has a threaded spout, so short hose can be attached to fill things on the floor with hot water. We put in a new laundry tub beside the moved washer in the new laundry room.

Husband has put up wire shelving above the washer and dryer, handy for hanging my plants, storing extra soap. Laundry room is narrow, and with machines, planned cabinets, will be easy to reach everything without walking much. We saved the old cabinets from the kitchen changeover, but plan to paint them white before reinstalling. Only can use a couple, since I want the old dishwasher reinstalled too. That is the one I wash bits and giant pans in! LOVED having a second dishwasher, before he pulled it to put in the new vinyl flooring. Will be real nice having it again. He can't do the paint on old cabinets until weather is warm enough to spray them. That will give me a laundry sorting area right by the machines, extra counter space when not doing laundry. I am hoping MOST of the stuff I have stuck in the basement while redoing, will have a home in the new cabinets. Kind of a pantry, misc. and laundry room.

We have put up with a TINY closet, some wall hooks for years. Since we got the big dog, 2years ago, we could not trust her with our shoes and boots. So they got out of control. She is USUALLY reliable, but takes a notion to lick or chew things. Chewed off the leather backs on husband's snow boots just before the big snow! Had to buy a new pair. Ignored DDs cowboy boots laying there. Hasn't chewed anything for a LONG time before that, so we thought she had GOT OVER puppy stuff. Best that we now have the new "shoeboxes" under the chest lid, dog can't reach them.

We have too many outdoor clothes, light, med, heavy warm, coats, insulated pants, hats, gloves. Then multiply each kind by 3 people, and you need clean stuff too. Husband wears a clean heavy sweatshirt to work in every day. Overwhelming volume of stuff in a small house area. So moving the laundry room means not having to work around the dogs and piles of boots and shoes. Less carrying, removal to another room for sorting after drying. Armoire is right at the top of the short stairway inside the back door. Really easy to take off coats, hang, remove shoes or boots, lift the lid, drop them in the shoe storage onto a rug for drying. I do have a runner rug, sort of traps the dog dirt as they move in front of the Armoire, cleans their 8 larger feet. Dogs not supposed to be inside past the doorway of back room.

Anyway, doing the Happy Dance here! I can seem major improvements already, just some self-training to get us back to putting stuff away instead of coming into the house first. I can hardly wait for warm weather, so he can finish the cabinet painting. My mother is going to be SO SURPRISED to see this! I had consulted with her, she is a good design/layout person. I drew the whole cabinet out last year but he has been too busy for this.

This Armoire is the first piece of cabinet or furniture stuff he ever built. Otherwise he practically rebuilt the whole house since we bought it, but that is Carpentry, not furniture he says. The biscuits are not as easy as Norm Abrams makes it look!! Came out excellent, exactly what I wanted for doing what I needed. Guess those years of watching This Old House and New Yankee Workshop shows have paid off!!

Any way, here are some photos of the finished product. I am not opening the doors because it is stuffed already!

http://community.webshots.com/album/...kBzWh?start=48

I have 7 turnouts hanging on various doors throughout my house. It has been a soaking snow and rain here, and the blankets do not dry in the barn.

If that is ever a reason to have a mudroom, I don't know a better one.

Only thing thankful, it is so wet, its like cleaned turnouts. Not too bad of a horsey odor, but hey, what do I know.

I have gone through numerous clothes changes each day, and at least 5 pairs of gloves.

I knew I should have a mudroom when I built! What farm doesn't have a mudroom?! Oh, I also don't have a tack room either.
    Yup, whining here.

At least you HAVE a mud room!
    stained glass groupie
    www.equiglas.com

Quote Originally Posted by eventgroupie2 View Post
    At least you HAVE a mud room!
    Yes, at least I have a mudroom, even though it is really the laundry/utility room too. And I was whining, it's true. Retrieving freshly washed stuff out of a puddle of mucky yuck and then having to rewash it does that to me.
    Goodhors I love that cabinet, it's just beautiful and looks perfect. Actually we had gone out and gotten a set of wire shelves and some over the door hooks along with the runners and the boot trays and that helped quite a bit. We clothespin wet gloves to the rack and it works great!
    But there is still no other place in that space besides right in front of my front loaders to pull off boots.
    Eh, DH reminded me that our old house would have been beyond miserable - the laundry was out in the carport!
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by Trevelyan96 View Post
    Right now, my solution is a very large basket with high sides and a rag rug in the bottom. I come through the door, pull off the boots or shoes and toss them in the basket, which works better than a boot tray. Hats and goves go in another basket.

This solution has worked pretty well for us this year, too. Our "mud room" is actually the tiny utility room (and yes, despite its itty-bittiness, I am thankful for it).

I have a cute wicker laundry basket sitting on top of the washer that holds the gloves, toboggans, scarves, and such. In the floor, just inside the entrance, we keep a large laundry basket where we deposit our shoes and boots. We hang our coats on a coat rack on the wall.

Also, I layer a few large, thick beach towels on the floor and place the doormat on top of them. When the dogs come in, I have the door to the rest of the house closed and they have to stand in the mud/utility room while we wipe them down. While they're standing there, the towels on the floor absorb most of the yuck on their feet. I pull the towels up every couple of days and shake/wash/dry, whatever, and we start again. Really, the towels have kept me from losing my mind this wet winter. They prevent a great deal of mud from being tracked through the house.

Spring is coming, everyone, spring is coming.
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

i'm in the beginning stages of a huge remodel, and my mudroom will also be my main entry. it's now my kitchen, 11'6 by 18' and going to be 11'6 by 22 when it's done. the interior walls will be wall-to-wall closets and there will be a tiny powder room tucked under the stairs.
    laundry will be in it's own huge closet at the top of the stairs. the theory being that i can wash and dry and put clothes directly away pr hang them to dry. plus my ironing board and a small tv in there, so i can iron while daydreaming out the window or while watching something.
    funny, i'm so excited about my laundry closet and entry closets! kind of even more than the new kitchen...

haha we have a "mud basement"!!! Between my husband being a landscaper and with the barn, we are two of the dirtiest people I know! I call it "the dungeon" down there...so no real advice for you, just a little empathy!
    Cornerstone Equestrian
    Home of Amazing (Balou du Rouet/Voltaire)
    KWPN, ISR/Old NA, RPSI, and IHF stallion
    www.cornerstonefarmpa.com

What about getting a couple of great big ol' cheapie Rubbermaid tubs with secure lids, and sticking them outside beside the door? With a garden chair close by, if you want to get really posh.

When heading filthily indoors, first retrieve your house footwear from tub A. Plant your bum on the chair, kick off the filthy boots and chuck them into tub A, and turf the smelly coats, gloves, hats, whatever, in tub B.

When heading outdoors, carefully lift mucky cold boots out of tub A, plant your bum back on the chair, and put house footwear into tub A. Then reach into tub B and pull on cold mucky coats, gloves, etc.

You'll be surprised how quickly those filthy boots and clothes warm up (and I'm in the land of -22'F some mornings, so I know about such things), and besides, two seconds of misery as they do so is a small price to pay for a clean(er) mudroom!