The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Building a Barn Question

Hi guys,

I am doing research on pricing for building an 8-10 stall barn with walk outs and fencing about 3-5 acres. We are looking for a property and I am trying to figure out what it would cost us to do that. Also any recommendations would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    -R

We did an 84' X 36' (7 stalls on the back, 2 storage stalls, wash stall, lounge, tack, and feed rooms along the front) with a 12' porch. It has concrete in the front rooms, concrete and brick aisle. Stalls have auto waterers and mats w/Dutch doors to the walk outs. We did all the excavation, plumbing, the brick aisle, and lots of the "extras" ourself. We have 3 pastures fenced in 4 strands of coated wire with two strands being hot-it's been great!

You can see some pics here

http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php...4&id=515029486

All told, without buying land or paying for site prep, we easily have 200k plus into it. But, I'm sure it can be done for less or more...it really depends on what you are looking for.

Hope that helps
    Cornerstone Equestrian
    Home of Amazing (Balou du Rouet/Voltaire)
    KWPN, ISR/Old NA, RPSI, and IHF stallion
    www.cornerstonefarmpa.com

We're pricing barns right now.......a 60 x 70 shell attached to our indoor arena is right in the $25-30,000 range. We plan on building our own stalls at $300/per and will have 15 when completed. It will be amish built-same as the indoor.

Default Search for a recent thread about building from scratch or modifying

Ingredients to build a barn ~ horse knowledge ~a bunch of good friends who are high powered lawyers, bankers, real estate brokers, horse trainers , horse breeders, architects, barn builders, dirt people=excavation/grading experts, soil expert, landscapers, fence installers, doctors= for physical injuries and emotional injuries & drugs ~ and a good liquor distributor ! In this day and age that is what one needs besides the DESIRE and MONEY ~ LOTS OF TIME AND EVEN MORE PATIENCE AND SUPER DUPER MONITORING SKILLS ! Good Luck ~ I would suggest finding property with what ( as close to anyway) what you want and then making modifictions. Building is a PITA. IMHO IMHO IMHO ~ don't flame me I said IMHO !
    Last edited by Zu Zu; Feb. 25, 2010 at 08:45 AM. Reason: spelling
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

8-10 stall on only 3-5 acres? Doesn't sound like enough ground unless they are going to live in the stalls 24/7. Or you want dirt lots.
    april
    Equine Retirement at
    www.StonyRidgeFarm.webs.com

If I could do my barn over, the only thing I would change is to add more storage. I wish I had an open area for equipment, and I wish I had more space for hanging up wet turn out rugs.

So, if you can afford it, storage space for equipment world be my first choice of luxury.

Quote Originally Posted by equusus View Post
    8-10 stall on only 3-5 acres? Doesn't sound like enough ground unless they are going to live in the stalls 24/7. Or you want dirt lots.
    I agree....8-10 animals is too many animals on that small acreage.

When we built our barn we started with a pole barn structure then built the stalls off the sides. It helped that I work for a sawmill that had just closed their treating plant so I got lots of treated lumber at a very deep discount. My four stall barn with dirt floors would probably have cost close to $8,000 just for the materials. Because I used some salvage materials and bought the lumber at a steep discount and did all the work ourselves it probably cost less than $5,000 total. It is a continual work in progress though...even after 15 years.

cost is going to depend on how much of the work you are willing to do yourself...if any. How fancy or how simple you intend to build and what materials you decide to use. Asking how much it costs to build a barn is like asking how much a red car costs....it depends....
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Maybe she is in CA, where all horses have is a lot or stall and get their exercise being ridden, as we did in Europe.

Works fine, if you have a busy training and lessons stable.
    Doesn't work so good for retired horses or boarders that don't come VERY regularly, that is a minimum of five days a week, to get the horses out, or pay someone to do it.

As for prices, it depends on where you are and what you want to build.
    It is always better to buy already built, may cost a good 2/3 to 1/2 less than building.

If you go with a barn building company, like MD Barns or such, you should not have many problems and good service, but building will at best be a headache, at worst a nightmare.

Being on the planning stage, asking questions and taking your time, you are ahead of the curve.

Depends on how she manages it. I had less than 3 1/2 acres fenced with anywhere from 5-7 horses on it. The stallion and gelding had about 6/10th of an acre in their paddock and the others had about 2 and 6/10th acre. My horses came in at night and I created sacrifice lots in the spring when it was muddy. We had grass year round, although I had to manage it well.

I now have about 8 fenced acres with the same number of horses - and less grass. Part of that is because we don't have the sacrifice lots yet and part is because we don't have good grass down. When we get good pastures established, we ought to be in better shape.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

As to cost, it depends on a LOT of factors. We're building a 7 stall barn with a tack room. Cost will be about $10,000. That's for materials alone - my husband and I are doing all the work (my dad did come down for one weekend). The problem with our method is that it is taking months - we can only work on weekends and can only work when it is dry enough. So far, we've had two weekends in Oct., 1 in November, 2 in December, 1 in January, and 1 in February. For me, it is the only way I'm getting the barn I want... and it'll have everything I want except a bathroom, hot water, and a wash stall/grooming (we will be putting a wash rack right outside the barn, though). My barn will have small runs off of each stall (so I can keep the horses off the grass in the pasture while trying to get it established).

When we built the last barn (pretty similar), it was about the same cost in materials - but the insurance company told us to insure it for $50K as that is what it would cost to have someone else build it. (So maybe that'll give you an idea on what it might cost to have someone come in and do it all for you). That doesn't include the fence OR the paddocks off each stall (as my first barn did not have those).

Here's our photo progress so far: http://barnbuildingadventures.blogspot.com/
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Quote Originally Posted by horsechick View Post
    We did an 84' X 36' (7 stalls on the back, 2 storage stalls, wash stall, lounge, tack, and feed rooms along the front) with a 12' porch. It has concrete in the front rooms, concrete and brick aisle. Stalls have auto waterers and mats w/Dutch doors to the walk outs. We did all the excavation, plumbing, the brick aisle, and lots of the "extras" ourself. We have 3 pastures fenced in 4 strands of coated wire with two strands being hot-it's been great!

All told, without buying land or paying for site prep, we easily have 200k plus into it. But, I'm sure it can be done for less or more...it really depends on what you are looking for.

Hope that helps
    Love your barn. Amazing is pretty cute too! lol
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

If you can get a rough blueprint of your barn drawn up, you can take it to some of your local building supply stores and have them do a materials estimate. Some of them offer the estimates for free in hopes that you'll purchase your materials through them.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

Quote Originally Posted by horsechick View Post
    We did an 84' X 36' (7 stalls on the back, 2 storage stalls, wash stall, lounge, tack, and feed rooms along the front) with a 12' porch [...]

Can you share the floor plan? It looks like the porch is on the side, so I can't quite figure out how that works with a 36' width.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

I'm in the same boat, although looking for smaller than you - 4-6 stalls with wash/grooming stall and tack and feed rooms. Luckily, my dad is looking for a retirement project and has all the knowledge/experience to build it from the ground up! I'm going to draw up some rough stuff, let my dad pick the one he likes, then go and get materials estimated! I'm going to be following this thread with great interest!

Any prices for clearing woods for pasture in the southeast?

Thanks trottrotpumpkin! I love my barn and having the "kids" at home. Well, not so much this month, but in general I do!
    Cornerstone Equestrian
    Home of Amazing (Balou du Rouet/Voltaire)
    KWPN, ISR/Old NA, RPSI, and IHF stallion
    www.cornerstonefarmpa.com

One of our local barn builders estimates about $26/sf. Bigger sizes could drop the psf price down, and fancier choices could drive it up. That includes stall fronts, concrete center aisle and wash stall, electric and water. Bathroom will add, because then you add septic.

Jeanne -- would you PM me the name of that builder? How do you calculate the square footage of a barn with a hayloft? Do you find most area builders are willing to put up the skeleton of a place? My dad wants a project, but some of the actual building phase would be tough on a single 60 year old guy!

Default New Barn

Quote Originally Posted by Dressage_Rider View Post
    Hi guys,

I am doing research on pricing for building an 8-10 stall barn with walk outs and fencing about 3-5 acres. We are looking for a property and I am trying to figure out what it would cost us to do that. Also any recommendations would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    -R
    That opens up many questions. Are you doing any of the work? Where are you building? Prices vary on your area. Now is a good time because of the economy. Get at least 4 quotes, 6 is better

Quote Originally Posted by fizzyfuzzybuzzy View Post
    Jeanne -- would you PM me the name of that builder? How do you calculate the square footage of a barn with a hayloft? Do you find most area builders are willing to put up the skeleton of a place? My dad wants a project, but some of the actual building phase would be tough on a single 60 year old guy!
    Tell him to rent a telehandler.

Bluey -- What, pray tell, is a telehandler? He might know, but I am clueless!