The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Part-time equine writing jobs

I received notice of this available equine writing job in my email inbox today, courtesy of the job site www.indeed.com, which I am registered with. I don't know much about the magazine (I think it is an Ezine) but perhaps someone would be interested in doing this? I do not have the time.

[edit]
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Feb. 25, 2010 at 11:00 AM. Reason: removed link

I'm a journalist, and was excited to see the ad. Until I saw the ad LOL. It might be a cool job for a college student or recent grad to earn a few extra bucks and get a little journalism experience.

But-hourly pay for freelance work and less than $10 per hour to boot? That's really, really lowball. At an outside of two hours per article, that's a whopping $20 per. With extensive interviewing, or something, maybe $30-40. That's between 10%-50% of the going rate of between $75-$200 for a column of that length for an online or print publication.

So, could be a cool opportunity, but takers should be aware that the pay is WAY below market standard.

Ditto what Henry said above. I also got this ad in my inbox and thought it interesting ... until I saw the rate! I responded because I want to identify the mag; the quoted rate is so far below the industry norm as to be laughable.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

I don't think this is unusual. Sad, but not unusual. Even mainstream publications are also paying peanuts for content.

Now that we have so many citizen journalists and bloggers, the price of content has plummeted. Now, that doesn't mean the content is good, but many people just don't care.

Here's an article that ran in the LA Times to that point:

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jan...dia6-2010jan06

Bottom line is I've decided that I'd rather write my own blog and own my own material than turn over my copyright for $10 or $20. I like writing about equine topics enough so that it's not worth it to me to give them to another publication for so little.

I've used e-lance to hire people. I've looked at both e-lance and guru a few times to see if there were any writing jobs out there the I might find interesting but it scared me too much to see how little they paid!
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Yes, I thought the same. However, I was wondering if they might be paying by the word, not by the hour, and there was no place on the form for posting that option? Not knowing Elance, I don't know.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

I also do some equine related free-lance writing, and I don't get paid much, but my regular column probably pays a bit better than 10 per hour. Regular feature articles pay 6 cents per word

(side note: Chief2 and I used to board in the same barn, and free lance for competing magazines, what a hoot!)

It might be a good way for someone to start out in the writing business however low the pay is.

ETA - I don't have time to do it either, and the few that I do know are mostly for fun, and the little extra cash it puts in my pocket every month. I do have a good day job that supports me in an unrelated field.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

I also have done horse-related general writing for well below what I am paid for my other specialties. Even so, as an established pro, I won't even look at a job that is going to net me under $25/hour of my time.

However, there are a lot of essentially budgetless "ezines" (really glorified ... or not so glorified) blogs that hire at this level.

Not what I would consider legitimate at this stage in my career, but it is a chance for a newbie to rack up some clips and references, or a fun "paying hobby" sort of deal for someone not concerned about the low pay.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    I don't think this is unusual. Sad, but not unusual. Even mainstream publications are also paying peanuts for content. Now that we have so many citizen journalists and bloggers, the price of content has plummeted. Now, that doesn't mean the content is good, but many people just don't care.
    This drives me CRAZY. I am having a hard time finding places to write for - because so many of them pay peanuts, if that. Very frustrating..
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

I wrote for "demand studios" for a while - my sister does it and recommended it. The pay is dreadfully low for anyone who's ever worked as a professional in pretty much any field, though it's decent if you're a student, stay-at-home mom, or just want some pocket money, etc. But I got bored with it pretty quickly because the format and topics were so strange and limiting. I browse the available topics occasionally, but haven't done more... sigh. It was discouraging. I'd rather spend the time on fully researched interesting articles on topics I find engaging. Then again the writing is a side thing for me; if I were trying to make a living only from that, I might take what I could find.

We removed the link to the ad to comply with our posting policies, but left up the rest of the thread (with a tweaked title) so folks can continue to discuss the topic in general.

Thanks!
    Mod 1

I wrote a lot for free to get my foot in the door. Something is better than nothing. It's experience! Nothing is as satisfying as your name in the bi-line. That is priceless!
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Quote Originally Posted by twofatponies View Post
    I wrote for "demand studios" for a while - my sister does it and recommended it. The pay is dreadfully low for anyone who's ever worked as a professional in pretty much any field, though it's decent if you're a student, stay-at-home mom, or just want some pocket money, etc. But I got bored with it pretty quickly because the format and topics were so strange and limiting.
    2Fat, you were with Demand? I'm a CE with them right now (to supplement my FT job), and it pretty much pays for my horse activities. Yes, their pay is peanuts -- BUT it is in line with what today passes for "content" (as opposed to "writing") for SEO purposes. On a happier note, I was recently promoted to Senior CE and given slightly better-paying articles to edit.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodland View Post
    I wrote a lot for free to get my foot in the door. Something is better than nothing. It's experience! Nothing is as satisfying as your name in the bi-line. That is priceless!
    I agree with that. I've been writing for 7 years now, and I still get a kick out of it. Even something as simple as getting a "letter to the editor" published in a national magazine is a hoot!
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

I've done loads of writing for free, and I can still be talked into it for a good cause. Now I'm writing for pay/to fund my horse activities. It is frustrating to see so many places now paying so very little. (Not all places, some of the print magazines pay well - but there's a lot of us fighting for those jobs! ).

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTbred View Post
    2Fat, you were with Demand? I'm a CE with them right now (to supplement my FT job), and it pretty much pays for my horse activities. Yes, their pay is peanuts -- BUT it is in line with what today passes for "content" (as opposed to "writing") for SEO purposes. On a happier note, I was recently promoted to Senior CE and given slightly better-paying articles to edit.
    I wrote for them for a while, too. I liked the people I worked with there, but the pay drove me nuts. I couldn't keep putting in that much work for that little money.

Print media is a dying art - sadly. The pay reflects it. Still even $10/hr for sitting at a desk in your odd off times is not so bad - beats playing solitaire!

MunchkinsMom Sometime I get a blurb in a national horse mag - it always makes my phone ring! Makes this old broken down horse trainer feel a bit more like her old self
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Ditto. Unless you're a "name" writer working on an in-demand story, or a good business writer who can do the research, freelancing is for love and freebies.
    "Go on, Bill — this is no place for a pony."

Print media is a dying art - sadly. The pay reflects it. Still even $10/hr for sitting at a desk in your odd off times is not so bad - beats playing solitaire!

MunchkinsMom Sometime I get a blurb in a national horse mag - it always makes my phone ring! Makes this old broken down horse trainer feel a bit more like her old self
    True - My first feature article was a real pleasure to write, and a few months later, one of my neighbors actually brought the magazine to our homeowners association meeting to show everyone my work - that was a big surprise.

OK, now I know for damn sure I am just old and jaded, 'cos I don't give a rat's patootie about a byline. In fact, I command quite a high rate ghost-writing for big shots.

Did work on the cheap back in the day when I was young and hungry and needed the bylines to build a rep, but I leave that to the currently young and hungry now. The only cheap/free work I do is for particular good causes, and it has to also please me and/or be fun, because with two businesses to run and farm and family obligations, free hours are few and far between.

For those who are starting out, print is not dead; it's just mutated a bit. And there are good-paying jobs out there, but you need to build a good reputation, and they are usually found by word-of-mouth. I can't remember the last time I got a good project from an advertisement of any kind; it's all recommendations from current clients.

Also, look outside mainstream (even mainstream equine) mags; there are tons of niche industry publications hungry for good writers and willing to pay better-than-stall-mucker wages.
    Equinox Equine Massage

-Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by coloredhorse View Post
    OK, now I know for damn sure I am just old and jaded, 'cos I don't give a rat's patootie about a byline. In fact, I command quite a high rate ghost-writing for big shots.
    No, you are not old and jaded, the rest of us are just young and/or naive? . Well, I'm not young at any rate. And because for me this is a part-time gig that I do mostly so I can stay in the loop on what my fellow QH enthusiasts are up to, I still get a kick out of it.

The full time writing comes from all the emails, and system documentation that I have to produce as a systems analyst. Wish I got paid by the word for that! Somehow I think my salary would be higher.