The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Your Definition of "Starting under Saddle"

I am on another thread and when someone told me they were going to start their horse under saddle......I made the assumption that they were going to saddle, bridle and put a rider on and do at least walk, trot........I questioned them as this is a 2 year old that they said still looked like a baby.........they said starting under saddle does not mean a rider but just the saddle and that being backed means a saddle and rider.......to me they mean the same.

What is everyone else's opinion?

Dalemma
    Last edited by Dalemma; Feb. 24, 2010 at 12:58 PM.

I'm with you. Flat classes are called "under saddle" because there's a rider on board

"Starting" and "starting under saddle" can be 2 different things, with the former sometimes mean a rider on board as well. But to me, the latter *always* means a rider is up.

Thanks........what is your definition of "backed" then.

This person definitely used the terminology "started under saddle"

Dalemma

To me, "backed" is the beginning of "starting under saddle"

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    To me, "backed" is the beginning of "starting under saddle"
    Ditto. Dalemma, I don't know anyone who thinks anything other than what JB says. Your friend is confuzzled a little .

I consider "Started under saddle" as lightly ridden. the process of "starting under saddle" for me includes lunging, ground diriving, saddling, bridling and riding, at least walk/trot

Yeah I use "backed" as lunging with a saddle on and has been sat on, maybe walked around a little. Started under saddle means the beginnings of w-t and steering are underway. Basically, if an ad for a horse for sale said "backed" I would not expect to go ride the horse when I saw it. If it said "started under saddle" I would expect to be able to get on the horse.
    Who needs wings when you've got a jumper?
    http://darkstr.webs.com

To me "started under saddle" means everything, including all ground work, up to and including a rider at w/t. I don't necessarily expect a newly started horse to be worked at a canter. To me the term "backed" is interchangeable with "started under saddle".
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Quote Originally Posted by VarsityHero4 View Post
    Yeah I use "backed" as lunging with a saddle on and has been sat on, maybe walked around a little. Started under saddle means the beginnings of w-t and steering are underway. Basically, if an ad for a horse for sale said "backed" I would not expect to go ride the horse when I saw it. If it said "started under saddle" I would expect to be able to get on the horse.
    This is what I would think also.
    Maria Hayes-Frosty Oak Stables
    Home to All Eyez On Me, 1998 16.2 Cleveland Bay Sporthorse Stallion
    & FrostyOak Hampton 2008 Pure Cleveland Bay Colt
    www.frostyoaks.com

Quote Originally Posted by PRS View Post
    To me the term "backed" is interchangeable with "started under saddle".

Same here. If they're just packing a saddle and bridle, then I say they wore the saddle and bridle. Pretty easy.

"Backed" to me means the horse has been saddled/bridled and someone has sat on the horse.

"Started under saddle" means someone has at least WALKED around while on the back of the horse...

i agree it can get confusing sometimes.my way of looking at it is "started under saddle" is all ground work, accustomed to saddle and bridle and has 30 days and under of ridden work under its belt e.g basic steering and atmost w/t.thats just my 2.5 cents opinion.

p.s i am not one for rushing youngsters.
    Last edited by my_doran; Feb. 28, 2010 at 05:37 AM. Reason: adding more to message

What they're talking about is Saddling and bridling.

Then comes "Backing" which is getting the horse used to being mounted and sat on and moving with a rider.

Then comes started under saddle which is the next stage and starting to get the horse familiar with leg and hand aids to do pace and direction required.