The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation ASPCA hit with racketeering lawsuit

[I]To keep this horse related. My horses "graciously agreed" to give up grain for a week during Katrina, so we could support some of those with their hands out declaring they were in the position to help Katrina animals. I still have my ASPCA donation receipts, & they still dunn me for yet even more monies even though I have repeatedly said to s-t-o-p bothering me for more cashola.

Actual court filing documents here:
    http://humanewatch.org/images/upload..._Feld_RICO.pdf

Google Search:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...&aqi=&aql=&oq=

Racketeering Lawsuit Fingers Humane Society of the United States”
    Feb 22 2010

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    Multi-Million Dollar Animal Rights Group Accused of Corruption; Lawsuit Available at www.HumaneWatch.org

Washington – In a landmark RICO (Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act) lawsuit certain to have far-reaching implications for the animal rights movement, Feld Entertainment and the Ringling Brothers circus sued the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), its lawyers, and several other animal rights groups last week. The nonprofit Center for Consumer Freedom (CCF) unearthed the lawsuit in federal court records today. CCF is making the lawsuit available online at its newest website, www.HumaneWatch.org.

“America’s farmers, ranchers, hunters, fishermen, research scientists, fashion designers, and restaurateurs have seen for decades how the animal rights movement can behave like a mobbed-up racket,” said CCF Director of Research David Martosko. “But it’s still shocking to see the evidence laid out on paper. In a treble-damage lawsuit like this, a jury could actually do the humane thing and finally put HSUS out of business completely.”

In its February 16 lawsuit, Feld leveled bribery, fraud, obstruction of justice, and money laundering charges against HSUS and two of its corporate attorneys; three other animal rights groups; the Washington, DC law firm of Meyer Glitzenstein & Crystal; and all three of that firm’s named partners.

On December 30, 2009, Federal Judge Emmitt Sullivan ruled that these defendants collaborated to pay more than $190,000 to Mr. Tom Rider, a former Feld employee who was an elephant “barn helper” for two years in the late 1990s, in exchange for his impeached testimony against Feld in an earlier lawsuit—testimony Judge Sullivan declared “not credible” and disregarded in its entirety. That lawsuit was dismissed.

Feld is also suing Mr. Rider, and a nonprofit “Wildlife Advocacy Project” charity, claiming that Meyer Glitzenstein & Crystal used it to funnel money from their plaintiff clients to Mr. Rider. These clients included the Fund for Animals, which merged with HSUS in 2004.

“The new HumaneWatch website is the only place the public will be able to read this lawsuit,” Martosko added. “We’re publishing a treasure trove of information about the Humane Society of the United States, including lots of surprising documents that HSUS would rather remain hidden from its contributors.”

Last week CCF launched www.HumaneWatch.org, an online watchdog project dedicated to analyzing HSUS’s activities and keeping the group honest. It includes a blog, an interactive document library, and a growing body of information about HSUS-related organizations and staff.

To read this explosive federal racketeering lawsuit, visit www.HumaneWatch.org.

FYI, I have no idea those funding Humane Watch, though they obviously have a vendetta. A vedetta that I would guess is not without some legitimate grounds. Lord knows I personally feel duped by the ASPA. And have found local chapters of the ASPCA to be utterly worthless too.
    Closest thing to a sauna around here would be tarping over a few cows, hold a bucket of water & light a match.

Nothing new... RB has brought several suits against animal rights groups as does happen vis versa.

The large non-profit orgs have a huge fundraising machines. They don't get that big without it. A catch 22. They hand out a portion of what they raise yearly to shelters, rescues as well as earmarking a percentage to lawsuits. Their financial statements are easy to obtain as I believe they post them online.

If you don't agree with their percentages of fund allocations then you need not contribute however just keep in mind that they *do* pump back over 10 Million annually to shelters and rescues. Could it be more? Yes. But it could also be less and far too many animals rely on that aggressive fundraising machine- unfortunetly.

Personally I think they need to do a better job with education and assistance clinics for owners and spend less $ on lawyers and the court room!

Sorry, but I'm confused--- your post title says the ASPCA is being sued, but in the post you say the suit was filed against the HSUS. You do know that these are two entirely different national animal welfare groups, right?

In NYC, the ASPCA does run an animal clinic and adoption center. They may run similar facilities in other major US cities. I'm just not sure.

To keep it horse related, the ASPCA, I believe, was founded in the late 1800s by a man who witnessed a driver beating a downed cart horse in the streets of NY in an attempt to get the apparently dying horse to its feet.

THe HSUS is an entirely different group that was founded in the late 1940s or early 1950s. It has a very sophisticated national approach to fund raising, and it was the group that pushed for a law in CA to "reform" factory farming by mandating more room for chickens, hogs, calves, etc. at factory farms.

The HSUS often makes well-publicized raids on puppy mills, etc. It does award grants to local shelters, but I don't believe it runs any shelters itself.

These two groups are not related to each other.
    Laissez les bons temps rouler!
    Elysian Fields Farm--
    --An equine refuge

Check out the actual pleadings. ASPCA is a named defendant as well as HSUS

Uhm, well, elysian*fields*farm if you would actually r-e-a-d this that I did post before;

Read: Actual court filing documents here:

you will find both parties listed there, amongst others.
    Closest thing to a sauna around here would be tarping over a few cows, hold a bucket of water & light a match.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsperson View Post
    Check out the actual pleadings. ASPCA is a named defendant as well as HSUS
    Well that could not be determined by reading the orignal post, so the post was confusing. And the two organizations named in the original both claim not to be related to one another.
    Elysian Fields Farm--
    --An equine refuge

No dog (horse) in this fight, but the CCF is about as "nonprofit" as the rest of the lobbyists in this country. I love when the pot goes after the kettle.
    Fear is the rocket sauce.
    Jack Black

Quote Originally Posted by elysian*fields*farm View Post
    Well that could not be determined by reading the orignal post, so the post was confusing. And the two organizations named in the original both claim not to be related to one another.
    The exact same link was in the original post.

I am not related to you, but someone could decide to sue us both, uhm, saying we both called them stupid or insert what ever reason here. So The ASPCA & HSUS are both being sued, along with several others, even though not all of them are related.

Going to the source:

http://humanewatch.org/index.php/doc...d_its_lawyers/

The HSUS has run an obstructionist campaign against most we do with animals, especially targeting lately animal agriculture, as that is the low hanging fruit, easy pickings.

It is nice to see someone asking the HSUS to also be accountable.

As for how they use their money, I would say that, since by their own figures only 1/2 of 1% goes to help animals directly, well, I think all their sad eyed, sad music ads to get people to "donate to save the poor animals" could be seen as misleading, no other way to word it:

http://www.consumerfreedom.com/news_...g-the-hsus-gra

Quote Originally Posted by ThisTooShallPass View Post
    Uhm, well, elysian*fields*farm if you would actually r-e-a-d this that I did post before;

No need to get snarky, I had the same question, not having the time right away for in depth reading...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    No need to get snarky, I had the same question, not having the time right away for in depth reading...
    Me too.

Point of clarification, though:

And have found local chapters of the ASPCA to be utterly worthless too.

Neither the HSUS nor ASPCA run 'local chapters'. HSUS does now own a few sanctuaries and such (Black Beauty Ranch is one) after merging with the Fund for Animals. ASPCA likely has multiple offices in New York. However, outside of NY, ASPCA does not have other shelters.

The term 'humane society' and 'spca' are generic terms used by many unrelated groups. Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society (the group I run) is not affiliated with the Humane Society of the US. Animal shelters with 'humane society' or 'spca' in their title in your area are either city/county run facilities or 501c3 nonprofit organizations with no affiliation to HSUS or ASPCA.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirljenn View Post
    Me too.

Point of clarification, though:

[/I]Neither the HSUS nor ASPCA run 'local chapters'. HSUS does now own a few sanctuaries and such (Black Beauty Ranch is one) after merging with the Fund for Animals. ASPCA likely has multiple offices in New York. However, outside of NY, ASPCA does not have other shelters.

The term 'humane society' and 'spca' are generic terms used by many unrelated groups. Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society (the group I run) is not affiliated with the Humane Society of the US. Animal shelters with 'humane society' or 'spca' in their title in your area are either city/county run facilities or 501c3 nonprofit organizations with no affiliation to HSUS or ASPCA.
    That is so true and hard to explain to people when we ask for donations and they tell us they just gave to us in the mail.
    They were donating to the HSUS, ASPCA and such and thinking they were giving to help our local shelters.

All asking for donations are competing for them and the ones with the more sophisticate media blitzes and mailing drives are getting the lion's share and sadly spending that money on other than really helping animals, like paying themselves big salaries and furthering their animal rights agendas.

It is time someone asked them serious questions about all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    That is so true and hard to explain to people when we ask for donations and they tell us they just gave to us in the mail.
    They were donating to the HSUS, ASPCA and such and thinking they were giving to help our local shelters.

All asking for donations are competing for them and the ones with the more sophisticate media blitzes and mailing drives are getting the lion's share and sadly spending that money on other than really helping animals, like paying themselves big salaries and furthering their animal rights agendas.

It is time someone asked them serious questions about all of this.
    While it seems that the ASPCA does a wonderful job (easy to do if you got big bucks rolling in from all over the country) I do point out they are nothing but local every chance I get, same with the 'other' people...
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Thumbs down Snark, Snark, Snark

Quote Originally Posted by ThisTooShallPass View Post

Frankly, I'm fed up with all the snark that some of you like to sling around here when someone asks a reasonable question about one of your many, many posts.

I READ your post. I wasn't interested enough, or had time enough, to read all the fricking links you posted.

YOUR title said "ASPCA hit with racketeering lawsuit"

BUT within the typed text of your post, only the HSUS was named. I never saw anything YOU wrote that said ASPCA.

WHY didn't you your post "HSUS hit with racketeering lawsuit" for the sake of clarity-- unless you have some special axe to grind with the ASPCA?

Oh, don't bother to answer, that was a rhetorical question. I won't be checking back at this thread any more-- that is how I have learned to deal with the snarkiness that does seem to be the response of first resort used by some people on COTH.

On the general topic of helping animals-- after r-e-a-d-i-n-g the posts on this thread, I think my personal policy is best---

The best way to help animals, is to help them yourself, or donate to a LOCAL group made up of people you know and feel you can trust to use the money you give to actually help animals, and not themselves.
    Elysian Fields Farm--
    --An equine refuge

You know, I really dislike receiving information via press releases and newspaper articles.

They are never balanced, factual, or in any way reliable. I don't mean to offend anyone but there it is. We just never get the whole story so we're left to speculate - and sometimes we arrive at the wrong conclusion.

For many years the public has been told by these groups about the elephant abuse. There have been untold numbers of campaigns (fundraising drives) intended to raise money and awareness about the need to ban elephants in circuses. Feld Entertainment has lost a tremendous amount of money, and also spent God knows how much defending itself from a 10 year long lawsuit.

I believed what HSUS, the ASPCA, API, PETA and other groups were telling me. So did millions of other people.

Well - if you want to know what these groups did - don't read the press release from a special interest group.

Read the judge's opinion. Here is the 57 page opinion. This is the opinion that led to the later RICO suit. It was rendered in December.

http://www.ringlingbrostrialinfo.com...%20Opinion.pdf

What I read made my blood boil.

It's ALL been a lie. They knew it was a lie. Read it for yourself and learn what these groups did, and what the "witness" lied about.

Every animal lover in the US should be outraged. What an abuse of our trust, our money, and our love of animals. Think of all the animals that could have been helped with the money spent on this 10 year long litigation.

And that's not the only lawsuit out there. There are others against HSUS - one for civil rights violations. (don't know if any of those have any merit)

JSwan, it is the same when we talk slaughter.

Lies upon lies upon lies, but unless the slaughter companies chose to contest them, defend themselves, they are left hanging with those lies damming them.

Yes, there is much that needs to be better in anything we do in life, including slaughter, but really, does anyone can believe that the whole of slaughter was abuse upon abuse, just on the power of a handful of videos, probably staged and definitely well edited for shock value?

I sure hope that those animal rights groups will have a come to Jesus meeting with the general public and media some day and be made accountable in court for some of what they did to defame others, or at least shown for how they really operate.

I am very glad someone is starting to look into them, it was time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I sure hope that those animal rights groups will have a come to Jesus meeting with the general public and media some day and be made accountable in court for some of what they did to defame others, or at least shown for how they really operate.
    I doubt that will happen. They're too powerful, and have insinuated themselves into every industry, governing body, and any federal or state agency that has anything to do with animals. They control the conversation, and create the perceptions that become reality. Truth does not matter. Facts do not matter. Animals do no matter. The animal welfare work is being done by local shelters and good rescues.

Too late.

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post

Too late.

Never thought I hear you utter those words!

Now I am scared!

I don't feel that the ASPCA should be lumped together with the HSUS at all. They do actually give out grant money for studying animal welfare issues - like the $600,000 they gave to Penn's New Bolton Center to study swine welfare. I haven't been out to the swine center since they finished the renovations, but I heard them described this summer.

http://www.vet.upenn.edu/Portals/0/i...the%20Food.pdf

The ASPCA actually has a pretty cool history - it stared as another poster mentioned, and later gave rise to child welfare organizations as well. Pretty crazy that we were protecting carriage horses in this country before children, but I digress.

Ben and Me - I agree. I don't know the specifics of the basis for the lawsuit - I tried to read it but legalese is confusing for my tired brain.

In addition to funding research they do also provide funds for a lot of shelters and rescues - they do a lot to help animals, rather than saying they do, taking pictures, and leaving.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.