The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Roll Call for TX Rose HT!

It's the first event of the year, and I've NEVER EVER BEEN THERE. Yet I still signed up.

We're going N (we moved up to T the last event of last year, but we need to get our legs back).

So--who's going? What's the place like? And, most important:

Will it rain/snow?
    --Becky in TX
    Clinic Blogs and Rolex Blogs
    She who throws dirt is losing ground.

I'm going in the OP as a prep for Poplar, just to get our feet wet for the year.

But we'll see if we even get to run, I've heard the footing is already quite soft and Tyler is supposed to get rain showers on Friday and Sunday now...

Might be looking at a combined test for their first event.

Kristen (Purplnpurpl) and Harry Houdini (a.k.a. Scary) will be going ON.
    Owner of ATA and Verband-Approved Trakehner stallion, Tzigane *Pb*, breeder of ATA-approved Semper Fidelis

www.twingates.com

Hubby and I will be there, both in Novice. I've been doing an anti rain dance for about two weeks, but evidently it doesn't work when wearing layer upon layer of winter clothing. It will be our first time there, and first event of the year, so really hoping we get to run cross country.

Default Beware the Scare! (ON)

It's my first back after a two year hiatus.

As of this past weekend Carsten said the footing was perfect.
    With very light showers it may be a little muddy. That's all.

The place is full of terrain so it will drain well.
    XC has to run because I need two N HT scores for the Trakehner futurity.
    So fingers crossed!!
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Smile Don't Miss Adult Rider Social Hour

Area V Adult Riders will be celebrating first event of the season with Social Hour before Competitor Dinner on Saturday! Join in the fun - celebrate the first event - cheer the job well done!

Extra work has been done on X-C footing - take off and landing have been given lots of TLC & dump trucks of super crushed stuff that they use at KHP so should be great!

I will be at Start Box to send you off with a smile! And pockets of Peppermints for your best friend! Just another benefit from your Area V Adult Rider Full Service Wench!

See you at TRHP!

Well that is good news!! I hope we are able to go XC!! I am definitely ready to start off the event season..... Hopefully the weather will hold out on us!

I'll be there in NR-A. I'll be super disappointed if we don't get to run XC, even if I've been feeling icky all week. Not real excited about being outside if it gets drizzly. :/

The great thing is Novice has (almost) all afternoon ride times. When was the last time I wasn't in the warm-up before 8????
    *#~*#~*#~*#~*
    Proud Momma of *Capital Kiss* and Bottle Rocket!

Not able to go this time...but just dropped off flyers of my horse for sale to my friend who was packing up to leave. I am anxious to see how our group does and hear about the new venue. Go Cyndi and Baxter!

So, what did everyone think? This weekend was probably the most fun I've had at a show. They did a GREAT job with everything! I did a LOT of worrying for nothing!

The footing ended up drying out and riding really well, with the exception of one spot by the big pond (which I had intended to avoid, but had a mental lapse and almost slipped). The one really sloppy jump got pulled from T & P.

I was originally worried the XC would be difficult and awkward... but then all the jumps I thought were Novice were on T or, in some cases, P, so the course turned out to be super easy. It was perfect for the first show of the season, but I do hope they'll step it up a bit for the summer and fall shows. I hope N will share more jumps with T, not so many BN jumps.

I had also originally worried about the speeds, but they did knock N down to 375. Turns out, I had nothing to worry about. My mare was super revved up ("Mommmm, I KNOW how to do this! Let's GO!"), and in my determination to NOT have a stop (we've had some stopping problems in the past) I kept her moving forward the whole time... and ended up 17 seconds under the speed fault time! I think my time calculated out to about 490 mpm... whoops!! I will never make that mistake again!

I had my second best dressage ever (37- dressage is my weakness!), my second ever double clear on stadium (which was also super-easy, but appropriate for the first show of the season), and my first "clean" (minus the speed faults) XC in a recorgnized show. I finally feel like we're putting it all together, and the mare had that look on her face like she knew the game and was eager to play. We finished with 43.5, which is our persinal best, but not good enough for a ribbon (8th). I did feel silly, because after stadium, my 37 had me in 11th, whereas in either of the other two Novice divisions I would have been in the top 3!!! The Sr. Novice always ends up like that. Anyway, after my speed faults, I wouldn't have placed in any division. Next time, next time, next time!!!

Oh, and the barns were GREAT! My mare hates stalls, and she LOVED her stall this time. We were on the outside facing the stadium, and I swear my horse studied the course while Prelim was going. And I loved their portable bathroom trailer! There were a few porta-potties, but it was sooo nice to have a better option! They were also kind enough to let us school in the indoor, which was a new experience for my country-bumpkin mare! Overall, I give Kim & Carsten an A+!!!!!!
    *#~*#~*#~*#~*

I really liked the facilities and I thought the rings were great. The stadium for prelim was actually maxed out and tricky for Prelim, calling for decisive riding. I made two mistakes and paid for it with two rails, as it should be.

Also, they needed to put up stabling charts on the end of the barn, and/or names on the stalls. There were quite a few stabling mix ups.

On cross country....well, I ended up withdrawing from the prelim. The course was the minimum possible distance, 2200 m and only 4:14 long. It was crammed into one field with many switchbacks over terrain that was less than ideal. Only one bank combination was even prelim level and the footing on that bank was so new that everyone but two rode the option.

In my opinion, the reward was very little compared to the risk of riding. When my friend and I walked the prelim on Saturday afternoon, many spots were still greasy and slick, or sloppy. We withdrew, as the whole idea for the TRHP was to have a nice confident run before going to Poplar. There was no way to have a confident, forward ride on that Prelim course, it would have been a lot of hauling on his mouth and turning in 20 meter jump returns, even if the footing was perfect, which it wasn't.

I've heard that they are expanding the fields used in the future, and if they do use some of the gorgeous fields that I saw from the barns and the highway, then I would be happy to come back. The facilities were top notch, and they got the best for show management (Rick Dunkerton).

I got to watch all the prelim XC, and it was nice that Carsten had guys stationed at both banks to touch up the footing after every horse. Those that rode the first bank with the wall did it well and made it look easy, but the bank up by the water was scary for many- the horses hopped up happily, but several went skidding on the loose footing as soon as they were up. Luckily, all recovered.

I did NOT like having to gallop across the edge of the parking lot. The coop in the corner could easily be moved, but I don't see WHY the ditchh complex was built at such an odd place, unless they do eventually plan to cut through those woods into another field for that approach?
    *#~*#~*#~*#~*

We had such a great time! The facility was definitely top notch, and things seemed to run pretty smoothly. Loved the footing in the jumping rings, it felt like fibered sand maybe. The stadium course was nice and flowing, and a confidence builder.

The cross country seemed pretty straightforward until you figured in the terrain, and then I thought it was pretty technical, though fair. But maybe that's just me, from way down here in East Texas, where the only hills we have are usually man made. I didn't have any issue at all with the footing, which had been aerated and groomed extensively, and really thought the x-c was spread out nicely with some chances for some galloping. Considering the amount of rain we've had recently it really wasn't bad. Besides, the sun was shining, the temperature was perfect, and how awesome was that warm-up for x-c!

There were a few nitpicky things to complain about, but figure they will be worked out in the future since it was a new venue. We were asked at least twice for suggestions or complaints, and thanked once for being there.

Quote Originally Posted by archieflies View Post
    I did NOT like having to gallop across the edge of the parking lot. The coop in the corner could easily be moved, but I don't see WHY the ditchh complex was built at such an odd place, unless they do eventually plan to cut through those woods into another field for that approach?
    Yes, apparently that IS what they plan to do. And it's great that they had people stationed at the banks to fix the footing, but since almost everyone took the option at the first complex, was that really a prelim question? Especially since that was pretty much the only true prelim question, although the corners weren't bad.

JMO, otherwise I thought the facilities were top notch and I certainly would go back again if they changed the prelim courses quite a bit and added an intermediate course in other fields.

I agree--the facilities were great (can I just say that it was SOOOOO wonderful to have a stall BIG ENOUGH for my big horse?!?). And the footing in the dressage warm up (as well as the rings and S/J)...this is THE FIRST TIME I wasn't freaked out in the warm up ring! The footing was super and it was BIG ENOUGH so that I never felt once like we were going to crash into someone.

I concur re: stalls being more clearly marked (and charts at each barn). I also wish RV/Trailer parking were closer, but next time I'll get a tack stall.

I did N XC, and it was a blast. I, too, was worried about footing, but the only complaint I had was right after the jump out of the dressage arena (and can I just say it was sooo much fun to jump in/out of the dressage arena?!?). We sank up past fetlocks. I was worried he might hurt himself.

I, too, was worried about time, but we had so much fun going forward! I found out my horse is a lot fitter than I thought (and I he LOVES the hills, which we don't have any of in West TX)...and I found out I could stand to get fitter myself.

Other than a blunder on my part, my pony rocked.

Our dressage was good (though he got in the ring and saw folks walking XC, and XC jumps, and he really wanted to be OUT THERE). I'm FINALLY learning to push him into a connection, but it's not as consistent as I would have liked.

SJ was a BLAST. I loved it!

Can someone remind me who the photographer is, and where I might go to see the pictures?

KUDOS to all the folks at TX Rose, and the great volunteers. It was certainly worth the drive from Lubbock!
    --Becky in TX
    Clinic Blogs and Rolex Blogs
    She who throws dirt is losing ground.

Default OMG guys are you serious?

First off, a 37 would have put you in the end of the pack in the ON division.
    I had a 39 and was in last. Which is a crack in its own.
    That is my only complaint for the weekend...rubbish from the dressage judge.

You didn't have to gallop across the parking lot. A light left loop would have taken all novice riders around the hard packed gravel and kept all toes on grass.
    I remember watching a HT at the USET HQ in Gladstone. The riders had to gallop right across GRAVEL--there was no way around. The horse I was leasing ran at the HT and came home with purple soles on her hind feet. I wonder if anyone questioned the course design?

I actually thought the coffin was not set that poorly. You have a long gallop and then a small coup on a turn to set you up with a SJ canter to properly jump through a coffin complex. That is good course design and smart thinking. If you remember Holly Hill is also set up off of a turn, after a long gallop, and on the down hill approach.

And what is wrong with a little bit'o'mud in one spot on the XC course? It beats MCs entire course of boggy nappy mud. It's XC. The mud was so innocuous at TRHP, my horse just jumped the puddle and went about his merry way.

The Novice XC was not easy...as people showed. I went from 13th to 5th in XC. Yes I thought it was quite a glorious, fun gallop but 10 other people in my division of 15 obviously did not.

The loose horse that ran me over when I was galloping toward the finish line was a waker upper for sure. oooops!

I, too, had a rail in SJ. But the course was a rather quiet huntery moving course. Easier than a usual Carsten Meyer course. My rail was 100% due to poor riding on my part and being who I am and the the horse I was riding I deserved to have a rail.

I agree with Maggie, the P course was not suited to a huge forward moving horse. The speed needed to stay quite a bit under 520mpm.

I think the up hill galloping really ate a lot of rider's (and horse's) lunch.

My next super fun with the little Scare Master will be a [meter] jumper show. Now those courses are tough. : ) A bit more than side, diagonal, side, diagonal there for sure.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Default Great Weekend at TRHP!

The weather Sat & Sun was wonderful. The footing was really good despite the rain on Friday. The X-C crew kept it pulled together. TRHP did a great job - hope everyone had FUN!

It is very cold & rainy, a really bleak gray day in east Texas! Miserable yucky Monday - so we had it really good this weekend!

With all the input & suggestions from everyone, I can only think TRHP can only get better for June HT. Stall Cards, Barn Maps, & Facility Maps - YES - we need them! Those are easy to fix.

The horses will really appreciate the big stalls in the big airy barns when it gets hotter. This is Texas - it will warm up again - right? I am so tired of dressing in layers - look like a blimp!

Does anyone remember who the photographer was?? I know there was one there, but I don't recall seeing anyone taking pictures...

Thanks!!

Default TRHP Photos - Jim Stoner

Jim was there part of the time - not sure if he was officially working the whole weekend. I talked to him and know he went to Caldwell Zoo in Tyler to shot some other animals!

Try his website on Tuesday to see if he has anything up!

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/store.aspx?p=2464

Default www.neldaspics.smugmug.com