The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default spirulina and msm for COPD

What dosage MSM and Spirulina is your horse on for their COPD? I haven't been really clear whether using the dosage on the container is correct for this purpose or if it's something else. Is dividing the medicine up twice a day if it says once doing no good? Still trying to get the little turd to eat the spirulina happily...

Spirulina: The yahoo COPD_HEAVES files recommend 20 gm. (about 2 Tablespoons) twice a day. It is also recommended that we start w/ just a little bit of the spirulina and very gradually increase, as it is normal for the horse to reject it if given full dosage from the start.

Still searching for the recommended dosage of MSM.

O.K. General consensus on MSM is follow dosage recommendations on container. Although I have read dosages all over the place from 6000 mg. to 20,000 mg. (Eee-Gads!!)

Most people say to experiment to find out what works for our horse. They do say that we shouldn't start them both together though, in case there is a reaction to one of them, we won't know which is causing the trouble. In my case, I have found that MSM makes my pony worse instead of better.

The combination of Spirulina and MSM does wonders for my geriatric COPD horse. During flare-ups of coughing spells, I use the dosage of Spirulina listed in lil bit's post. However, once the flare-up is under control, I use half the dosage of Sprilulina. And yes - I divide these doses between two feedings each day. For the MSM, I used the recommened dosage on the container.

Used this as well as soaking a hay for a horse I use to own: 20000 mg MSM, and can't remember dosage for Spirulina in grams but it was 2 big tables spoons twice day

thanks everyone! I'm going over there tonight so I have to see the actual gm/mg. The spirulina says one scoop once a day and I'm giving 1/2 scoop twice a day. The msm is the same thing.

Anyone use the Spirulina Wafers by Springtime? I fed the powdered version 8 years ago to my late appaloosa, but am interested in getting my Percheron on it since she's now coughing. Thought the wafers would be MUCH easier to deal with.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    Anyone use the Spirulina Wafers by Springtime? I fed the powdered version 8 years ago to my late appaloosa, but am interested in getting my Percheron on it since she's now coughing. Thought the wafers would be MUCH easier to deal with.
    I haven't tried those but would love to hear about them also. I've gotten used to the powder... just don't stick your face close to it when you're feeding lol! It did actually make my horse cough MORE at first because I was just dumping the powder in. Now I put the grain in, dump powder on, and mix with water to make it all stick.

I used them with a horse who would eat rocks if offered them, and he ate them right up w/o incident. A GF of mine, though, found her gelding would pick them out and avoid them in his feed. They are big, like thick nickels, so easily sorted and not eaten. But- they could be crushed or busted up and not be anywhere nearly so vile as spirulina powder is. That stuff is disgusting.

My gelding does really well on 20,000mg MSM/day. Haven't tried spirulina.
    Liz
    Ainninn House Stud
    Irish Draughts and Connemaras
    Co. Westmeath, Ireland

Fortunately my Percheron mare will eat almost anything I put in front of her. She'll just have to have quite a number of those wafers for her 2,000 pounds!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    Fortunately my Percheron mare will eat almost anything I put in front of her. She'll just have to have quite a number of those wafers for her 2,000 pounds!
    $$$$$. I looked at the site and I think I'll stick with the icky powder.

I'm only gonna go with the wafers because they're running a 2 for 1 special. Plus if I order $150 and over, I get a "freebie" and I chose another 360 bottle