The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fibroids and Riding, Chores

So since November I've been diagnosed as having both fibroids and cysts. Pain was dealt with meds - but they don't seem to be going away!! Even being on a bc pill.

and it makes chores (lifting hay, shoveling poo) almost impossible.

Riding was okay, until this weekend when it felt like I had a bag of marbles in there.

Speak to me - what did you do??

Thank you.
    Crayola posse ~ Lazer Lemon yellow
    Take time to give...it is too short a day to be selfish. - Ben Franklin

Surgery, and was riding again in a month. Gut surgery isn't fun, but then, neither was the fibroid. Fibroids are supposed to go away with menapause, but if you are a ways from that, too long to wait and bare it that long, surgery is the answer.

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Hysterectomy, partial (leave ovaries) rather than complete. I was diagnosed in 2001, and ended up having surgery in 2006. I tried to hang on and tough it out, but the pain got so bad that I would spend three days in bed after riding for 20 minutes. I had more problems than most because I listened when my doctor recommended a complete. DON'T!!!! Leave at least one ovary. You will be glad you did.

Oh, and that business about fibroids going away after menopause? They don't.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

I'm pretty positive I have the beginnings of them but my doc isn't too concerned unless they get more painful. Anecdotally, I've found when I lay off the sugar/simple carbs I see a fair improvement. I'm certainly no doctor though and if they're hurting you that badly I'd think about something more drastic if you can't find any improvement with anything else, pain like that can be horrible to deal with. Overdoing it with the Valentine's candy sent me spiralling for a week or so. I think it's something to do with sugar affecting the hormones.

I've had three fibroid surgeries and each time they kept growing back. Then a new doctor told me about UAE and that she'd had it done for her own fibroids.

I researched it and had it done three years ago and it changed my life. I was back to riding pain-free within two weeks and have never looked back. I'd do it again every year if I had to in order to avoid having a hysterectomy or another surgery.

It's not without controversy, so you should research it yourself if you consider having it done, but the sites that tell you it's "new" or "experimental" are flat-out wrong. It's been done for over 20 years in this country. PM me if you want more info.

Not sure about fibroids, but I have cysts , lots of them especially on the right ovary. Surgery is not an option right now because I am young and have not had children.

What I can tell you has helped me is remaining active and watching what i eat. my doctor would prefer I live an aktins lifestyle but knows that is not realistic.

Times in my life when I am skinnier, more active and/or eating less carbs all of my painful symptoms vanish.

For instance last year I was laid off and worked and rode for 7 months. I did not have 1 painful menstrual cycle, no tenderness in my abdomen, etc. Since July I have been working a desk job and all symptoms returned, worse when I have gotten so busy that I eat out everynight. So, i now know i have to stay leaner, eat better and work out.
    \"A smart lady knows its ok to change her mind, a damn fool never does\"

If you know you have fibroids and have any intention of getting pregnant at any time in the future, do something to deal with them.

I did not know I had fibroids, absolutely no idea, until I got pregnant. At 7 weeks pregnant I looked like I was 4 months pregant. I had a scan and they said that I had huge tumours. Apparently those suckers love the hormones you produce when pregnant. They got bigger and bigger and bigger. Because I was pregnant they suggested that I terminate, they would "clean" me out and help me get pregnant again. I didn't. However, I had weekly scans which showed my foetus stuck between 2 large fibroids both > 10cms each. Her head was in one area, her body another and she couldn't move. I felt her move once, that was all. She was born at 24 weeks, weighing 1lb 4oz. I had a 5 hour c-section/myomectomy to find my daughter (hard to find a small baby vs a large fibroid) and remove the fibroids. The next day, after continuing to bleed and bleed, I had a hysterectomy. (Hey - probably more info that ANY of you wanted!). I lost 14 pints of blood. My daughter spent 152 days in the NICU and by the age of 1 only weighed 13lbs.

On the positive side, I have no stretch marks, I no longer have that nasty monthly bleeding and I have a lovely 3.5 year old daughter. BUT - if I had known what I know now, and knew I had fibroids, I would have dealt with them asap.

OH - and this website was very useful to me!

http://www.hopeforfibroids.org/

I even emailed one of the docs on it with a question and he emailed back immediately

Thank you all for sharing!!
    Crayola posse ~ Lazer Lemon yellow
    Take time to give...it is too short a day to be selfish. - Ben Franklin

I had fibroids and around 8 years ago my Dr. tried to remove them without removing my uterus. That didn't work. I wasn't too uncomfortable except while riding. That was a big problem. I eventually had a partial hysterectomy (still have my ovaries) I was done having children so that wasn't an issue but if you can deal with them without losing your uterus I recommend it. However I was so uncomfortable riding my horses that it wasn't an option to keep it. The up side is that I no longer have to worry about the monthly bleeding. I still have my ovaries so I still get the monthly PMS This is a delicate subject but the doctors don't tell women this before the removal of their uterus....without the uterus sexual pleasure may not be as....um....intense.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Flying W View Post
    I've had three fibroid surgeries and each time they kept growing back. Then a new doctor told me about UAE and that she'd had it done for her own fibroids.

I researched it and had it done three years ago and it changed my life. I was back to riding pain-free within two weeks and have never looked back. I'd do it again every year if I had to in order to avoid having a hysterectomy or another surgery.

It's not without controversy, so you should research it yourself if you consider having it done, but the sites that tell you it's "new" or "experimental" are flat-out wrong. It's been done for over 20 years in this country. PM me if you want more info.
    I had one of these, too, in an effort to ward off a hysterectomy. Spectacularly unsuccessful. Of course, the clowns I had for doctors may have had something to do with it. If anyone in SE Texas is considering this procedure, PM me for the names of two practicioners to avoid like the plague!
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/