The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov. 10, 2009
    Posts
    141

    Default thin rubber/plastic bits

    I'm looking for a rubber or plastic bit for a horse that doesn't like metal but has a small mouth. I'd like something around 12-14mm, but can't seem to find anything that fits the bill. Anyone know of a company that makes something like this?

    I'm also looking for a skinny (12-14mm) copper mouth french link D or eggbutt bit in a 4.5 or 4.75...having a hard time finding this also!



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug. 2, 2009
    Location
    Osteen, FL
    Posts
    1,658

    Default

    What about Nathe bits? They're thinner than the traditional black hard rubber bits.

    Link to some more Nathe Bits.

    I've used them in past with great success.
    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
    Sakura Hill Farm & Facebook Page
    Boarding, Training, Consignment Sales & Breeding
    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov. 10, 2009
    Posts
    141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MCarverS View Post
    What about Nathe bits? They're thinner than the traditional black hard rubber bits.

    Link to some more Nathe Bits.

    I've used them in past with great success.
    Those look a little closer than say a happy mouth, but still the thinnest one has an 18mm mouth piece. Thanks for the suggestion though!



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug. 2, 2009
    Location
    Osteen, FL
    Posts
    1,658

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tigrrlily04 View Post
    Those look a little closer than say a happy mouth, but still the thinnest one has an 18mm mouth piece. Thanks for the suggestion though!
    That's what I was afraid of. What about wrapping a metal bit in Latex?
    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
    Sakura Hill Farm & Facebook Page
    Boarding, Training, Consignment Sales & Breeding
    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov. 10, 2009
    Posts
    141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MCarverS View Post
    That's what I was afraid of. What about wrapping a metal bit in Latex?
    Do you know if that's legal in the show ring?



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb. 18, 2001
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    6,979

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tigrrlily04 View Post
    Do you know if that's legal in the show ring?
    Yes. Nothing is "illegal" in the Hunter world, just unconventional. But, I doubt any judge is going to look in your horse's mouth.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr. 28, 2008
    Posts
    7,559

    Default

    As a word of caution, you don't necessarily want a plastic bit that is very thin. Plastic is subject to damage from chewing, and a very thin plastic bit may not have sufficient structural integrity (may be why there aren't extremely thin ones available). Wrapping in latex is your best bet, but you would have to get a very, very thin mouthpiece for it to work as latex wrap is not thin itself.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov. 28, 2006
    Location
    ON, Canada
    Posts
    854

    Default

    Not quite as thin as you stated, but worth a look.

    http://www.doversaddlery.com/herm-sp...11921/cn/1459/
    Proud Member of the "Tidy Rabbit Tinfoil Hat Wearers" clique and the "I'm in my 30's and Hope to be a Good Rider Someday" clique



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov. 10, 2009
    Posts
    141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    As a word of caution, you don't necessarily want a plastic bit that is very thin. Plastic is subject to damage from chewing, and a very thin plastic bit may not have sufficient structural integrity (may be why there aren't extremely thin ones available). Wrapping in latex is your best bet, but you would have to get a very, very thin mouthpiece for it to work as latex wrap is not thin itself.
    I was afraid of that. I figured especially since thinner bits are becoming very popular (and we all know how manufacturers like to take advantage of what is the new "in thing" in the horse world), it has something to do with the structure of the bit why they don't offer thinner mouthpieces.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan. 10, 2007
    Location
    too far from the barn
    Posts
    5,715

    Default Sprenger has a 16mm mouth

    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!



Similar Threads

  1. Types of Rubber Bits - best option?
    By Barnes in forum Dressage
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Oct. 19, 2012, 03:54 PM
  2. Tip--repairing Plastic bits
    By vineyridge in forum Off Course
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Sep. 3, 2011, 11:42 PM
  3. Rubber Bits
    By Just Not Native in forum Dressage
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Nov. 3, 2010, 10:38 AM
  4. Replies: 13
    Last Post: Jun. 26, 2009, 09:16 AM
  5. The bumpy plastic mullen bits
    By poltroon in forum Dressage
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Feb. 2, 2009, 12:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •