The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default COTH Community Cookbook

I was wondering who would be interested in doing a COTH Community cookbook. This idea was also suggested by ancientoaks last spring, so I've merged some of the suggestions to start a new thread.

It would be great if all the proceeds went directly to COTH causes-maybe divided between the favorite fundraising groups?

The reasoning behind a COTH cookbook:

1. It seems that most horsepeople are pressed for time, so a cookbook that allows for either fast prep (20 minutes or less)or prep at a more convenient time of day (slow cookers) would be a real boon to many horsepeople. I've become a great fan of the slow cooker because it allows me to make dinner mid day when I have some spare time. Dinner is then ready after my evening barn chores-everyone is happy!

2. Equestrians are athletes, so the food should be somewhat healthy, yet appealing to a wide variety of tastes. Something that both adults and children would enjoy. To keep it simple, recipes should include standard on hand ingredients. If you have to go to lots of specialty stores to find the ingredients, it sort of defeats the purpose!

3. I would love the idea of a special section geared towards eating healthy at competitions. What are the correct foods to eat if you are involved in all day competitions to keep your energy and focus? Maybe competitors from the various disciplines could share their secrets. Because many people are too nervous to eat at competitions, suggestions on easy to eat and easy to digest foods would be really helpful. It could even include prepurchased foods that would give the proper nutrition during competition day.

4. If the cookbook were geared towards the every day type of meals (the least inspiring type to make), it would be a great reference book-especially on harried days.

5. Maybe the contributors could share some anecdotes about the meals or funny stories with their recipes. It would be like a community cookbook.

I know there are many on board here that are in the writing/publishing fields. Maybe we could all join together to do something that benefits the nonprofit groups here as well as our fellow pressed for time or just hate cooking chefs?

What do you think?

What great idea! Keep us posted - Food Network, here we come!

I think it's a great idea, but a monstorous task for someone to take on! I did this for a family cookbook, and was going crazy by the end.

Some thoughts from my experience...

perhaps have someone designated to collect for each section (apps, soups, main meals etc.)

Everyone should submit in a specific font, size font etc. and check for spelling errors, incomplete recipes etc.

Have deadlines!!!

I would contribute a receipe or two!!

Yup!!! Definitly would love to help out or at least submit some recipes!

Not sure how really to go about doing it though.

P.

I'd love to help out! My grandmother has published at least a few cookbooks, I could ask her for advice...
    Different flavors of crazy, but totally NUTS. You know its true. - GreyHunterHorse

http://showertimecontemplations.blogspot.com/

1) Create a 'bible' for the publication. The most important thing is that everything be consistent so there's a polished overall look and that takes a lot of nit-picking. Do you spell out cups or write c.? Do you italicize recipe headings, bold ingredients, use footnotes, caption photos, capitalize each step, use lists or paragraphs, put nutrition information in charts or sentences... And on and on and on.... Look at existing cookbooks, the regular kind and those published as fundraisers, to see what you want yours to look like.

2) Be prepared to rewrite EVERYTHING, no matter how much people try to submit things in a certain style, format, etc. It just never works out that you can simply slot a submission right into a publication. There's always something.

3) Definitely include stories, anecdotes, photos, etc. These make the book unique and interesting. Include a letter or chapter at the front that explains the purpose of the book, outlines the inspiration, etc.

4) And have staggered deadlines. Everyone procrastinates

5) Get a lot of help. It's a lot of work for a volunteer effort.

If you want help, lemme know. Plenty of writing, proofing and editing background. I can kill widows, orphans and the occasional ad salesperson.

Keep us up to date! I am excited and would love to be a part of this...I love to cook, and even have a cooking blog!

I've flagged this thread for equineartworks - she had developed a cookbook to help raise money for the Special Horses Inc. Emergency Fund, so I know these things are possible.

I am happy to donate some of Ted's favorite recipes. I myself have only a few human ones, like (1) take out Chinese (2) pizza delivery. Not sure how much interest there would be in the latter...

mkevent, so glad you posted this!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Is it going to be sold or given away? If sold, how are the profits going to be used? Are you going to donate all your time for this project?

I think it's a great idea, just needs some more details hammered out.

I agree with the above suggestions that every one submit their recipes in the same format. You could make a template and instructions.

I also like the ideas of healthy daily meals, healthy show meals and what about a section on horse treats?

I love the idea and would probably submit a recipe or two

I'm willing to help out with a template
    Winfield Farm
    Karrera "Zoee" ~ Redshift "Orion" ~ Inquisitive "Q" ~ No Doubts "Lady"
    I Paid For My Vet's New Truck Clique

Thanks everyone!!

I have absolutely no experience in publishing and I am really "kindergarten level" with computers. I basically love the idea and wanted to know if it would be feasible.

The cookbook would be for sale. I think all the proceeds should go to COTH causes-equineartworks, SKA, Bluebonnet to name just a few. I know enough to know that this would be a Herculean task but at least the rewards would be going to some really deserving charities.

I have many time tested recipes which is what originally got me thinking about the idea. It would definitely have to be a community effort. My leadership skills are rather limited but I'd be happy to do the "behind the scenes" type of help. Any ideas, suggestions and help is greatly appreciated! If someone with the skills would like to spearhead the project, that's great because I have no experience at this at all!! Ok-this is a plea for help if you are all interested!!

You might want to check on copyright issues. If too many of the recipes submitted are from other published sources, it could be a problem.
    Where Fjeral Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Hmmmmmmmm.... Wouldn't you think COTH could help a little? With the formatting and publishing and such. I think they have some experience in the matter. Costs could be covered by COTH (see how I am volunteering them!) and pre-orders of the cookbook.
    It could be called the Chronical of the Horse "Forum Cookbook". It could be gorgeous with pictures submitted by the fabulous photographers I have seen submit their pics here... there could be a chapter of hearty, warm recipes for winter and that could have people's pics and stories of "snowmageddon". There could be a section for the Foxhunter's tailgate recipes and cocktail recipes with photos! This could be so very cool.
    Last edited by headsupheelsdown; Feb. 23, 2010 at 05:55 PM.

I would definitely buy a bunch for Xmas and birthday gifts.

I would definitely buy a COTH cookbook. I love to cook (mainly because I love to eat) and I have a small but growing collection of cookbooks. It must be genetic, because my mom and grandma both have/had whole cupboards full of cookbooks, binders of their own recipes and recipe cards. Kinda scary to think what I'll be like in another 30 or 40 years!

I would also definitely contribute a recipe or two. Desserts, main course, whatever is needed.

In short, I love the idea! If there is sufficient interest, perhaps we need to make this a sticky and take up a list of who's interested in the various jobs.
    BES
    Proudly owned by 2 chestnut mares
    Crayola Posse: sea green
    Mighty Rehabbers Clique

Our trail riding club did this several years ago and we sold out of the books! We used the proceeds to buy firewood for campouts, pay for beach permits, etc stuff that everyone in the club could enjoy.

The book even had a section called "A Trail Rider's Life" and included photos of us camping, riding, etc Plus several of us that provided multiple receipes had photos of us riding along with a nice sentence or two about us.

We had a very dedicated member who gathered all the receipes, photos, etc and her daughter helped her with the cook book. I use it all the time and have several favorites.

I'd certainly buy another one.

I'm mortified to even be asking this, but what's a sticky and how does one do that? (slinks away in embarassment.....)(oh I can hear my daughters laughing now...)

I'm up for any suggestions. I was thinking if we kept it simple and focused on everyday meals that can be prepared quickly/easily, it would be a well used cookbook-one that we grab when rushed for time!

I like the idea of horse treats-there are always posts asking what to feed IR horses, etc. so that could be very helpful. Not to mention this is a horse related mission!!

I was thinking for the healthy eating for competitions, maybe we could post in each of the discussion forums such as dressage, eventing, trail, endurance, driving, hunter/jumper and ask competitors what they've found that works. It would be great if some of the upper level riders could "teach" us how to eat like an athlete for competitions!

I like the idea of basic nutritional information on the recipes for those on special diets or who are just trying to eat healthy.

There could be a "short stirrup" area with healthy recipes for kids submitted by kids along with their photos!

I LOFF the idea about the section for horse treats!! That is awesome!! A bran mash recipe could also be included!
    Last edited by headsupheelsdown; Feb. 23, 2010 at 01:24 PM.

I will be happy to contibute.

This is a great idea- just let us know.