The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Dreamhorse Addiction...

So I'm currently a horse-less college kid that has been known to show up at my old barn on weekends to help out with feeding, mucking, turn-out etc... just to be able to be around horses. I've also started lurking around COTH, and my newest thing is to look around dreamhorse and drool over the horses I find that would be perfect. I just found a horse that seems like a pretty good deal and is in central NC. I'm not entirely sure that posting a link here is allowed... so if it isn't please correct or delete this thread. But here's the horse I found:

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse...1&share_this=Y

He seems like the perfect been there done that horse that would take a beginner or intermediate rider far... and for quite a great price in this economy. Just thought I'd share my latest find, who knows maybe someone on here is close to there and can give this great sounding guy a home! Any other habits you guys have to fulfill your need for horses when you can't be around horses yourself?

...and my newest thing is to look around dreamhorse and drool over the horses I find that would be perfect.
    I've been doing this since middle school.

Lol I used to when I was younger then when I actually got more involved with real horses I stopped... now I'm back to it!

I could have seen myself doing some "window" shopping like this before I had horses. Got my horses before the internet tho. I do know someone, with whom I no longer associate, who takes the occasional weekend and goes "horse shopping" she does not have the means to buy or keep a horse but she likes to go "try" a few horses on these weekends. When she told me what she does I was appalled that she would waste someone's time like that.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

I'm actively shopping for a horse, and not only do I look at Dreamhorse, but I look at it several times a day, in addition to Equine.com, and about a half-dozen other sites! I fall in love with everything I see.

Quote Originally Posted by ponyxjd View Post
    I've been doing this since middle school.
    ...and then my TB-crazy self discovered CANTER...
    Why do I work two jobs to support a horse I don't have time to ride?

I'm addicted to Dreamhorse.com and Equine.com and check both sites every day for new additions in my area. I will admit I also check about 4 or 5 other sites every week (or more). And I am in now way in the market - I have my dream horse! She's a big beautiful 3 year old black pinto filly by Art Deco. I just like looking at what's currently out there. It's fun! My husband gets very upset with me.

If these had been around when I was a teen I would have spent 24/7 online. My substitute back then was paging through all the "Horses of the World" type books and marking each one I wanted.

I do love the window shopping even now. (I have to say I think it's pretty cool that I can use equine.com to search for my very own Pyrenean Tarpan. What breed is that? I have no idea either. And I will put money on there being not a single one for sale in the entire USA.)

I love Bigeq.com! I drool over all the fancy eq and hunter horses... so far out of my price range.
    Different flavors of crazy, but totally NUTS. You know its true. - GreyHunterHorse

http://showertimecontemplations.blogspot.com/

I bought my horse virtually sight unseen off equine.com (she was a great deal and I don't regret my foolish decision one bit!) ... and I still look for good deals on occasion :X

Dreamhorse, Petfinder and craigslist. I make up imaginary farms every couple of months, complete with chickens, horses, cats and guinea pigs.

As for other ways to satisfy the horse thing without the genuine article - I read. Nonfiction (useful) and children's fiction (fantasy x 200000000)

I have had a dreamhorse addiction for like 5 years or so now.. lol. The horse I found on dreamhorse and bought ended up not working out so well, so the addiction continues, even though my family and I are in no place to buy another horse, I still am always looking! Boring weekends in the dorm turn into horsey window shopping

Quote Originally Posted by CR Gorge Girl View Post
    Boring weekends in the dorm turn into horsey window shopping
    Exactly... I get bored easily and so I read COTH and window shop for horses! I have a few that I just keep going back to and thinking another time another place and you'd be mine.... Le Sigh. It's not for me in my current situation.

Default When geeks and horses collide.....

When I was in college, I managed to turn my dreamhorse.com obsession into a final project for a statistics class (hey, I was already looking at the site everyday anyhow!). The only requirement was that it had to involved "real world" data analyzed in a mathematically correct way, with the topic having to be pre-approved by the prof. For 2.5 months, I recorded every QH listed on dreamhorse, asking price, color, sex, age, # of world/congress champions in pedigree, discipline, time to sell. I forget the details, but it involved lots of correlations and modeling asking price with equations.

I got an A, though I don't think the prof had ANY idea what I was talking about.
    BES
    Proudly owned by 2 chestnut mares
    Crayola Posse: sea green
    Mighty Rehabbers Clique

I'm totally addicted to CANTER... so many horses practically in my backyard, so cheap... too bad I can't afford board!

Oh, and COTH got me into the Finger Lakes Trainer board, had a few horses bookmarked on there that I was drooling over on a regular basis
    'Not all those who wander are lost.'

Even though I have my own horse now, I still visit Equine.com and Craigslist to look at pretty ponies. :P Glad to know that I'm not alone!
    "A canter is a cure for every evil." -Benjamin Disraeli

Default Idea for horseless

I had many horseless years while busy with school and other activities. This was before internet shopping as well. One idea for where to spend the energy and time would be to find a rescue that could use some help. So many horses in need now and likely to continue. I never thought of that option when I did not have the money or means to commit to owning my own horse.

Please forgive me for unsolicited advice

Quote Originally Posted by twofatponies View Post
    If these had been around when I was a teen I would have spent 24/7 online. My substitute back then was paging through all the "Horses of the World" type books and marking each one I wanted.

I do love the window shopping even now. (I have to say I think it's pretty cool that I can use equine.com to search for my very own Pyrenean Tarpan. What breed is that? I have no idea either. And I will put money on there being not a single one for sale in the entire USA.)
    http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/h...rpan/index.htm

Ooh, yeah. I bet there's loads of them about.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by izzy View Post
    I had many horseless years while busy with school and other activities. This was before internet shopping as well. One idea for where to spend the energy and time would be to find a rescue that could use some help. So many horses in need now and likely to continue. I never thought of that option when I did not have the money or means to commit to owning my own horse.

Please forgive me for unsolicited advice
    Actually I did ask for the advice! And I've been in contact with a lady that lives in the same town as I do that owns a Friesian cross she needs ridden who will be coming home in the Spring and I will be able to ride her The lady also recommended a rescue to me one city over that I've just sent off an e-mail to the person who runs it and also happens to be a history professor at my school! I'm hoping to get to start that soon. I've been desperately digging around for horse opportunities but where my school is, it's very slim pickings but I think I've found a few good options

If your looking for someone to tell you to stop ... forget it, we all enable around here.LOL