The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Need a western themed gift idea

For the BO who cared so well for my late sisters aged pony till it was her time to go.

This Lady, In Germany, owns a chestnut paint - for lack of exact knowledge of his breeding.

When I go back over in the Summer I would like to give her something as thank you. (Saddles are out of the question though)

Anybody have a good source of saddle blankets or something like that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Would a nice metal art coat hanger with western motif or such work?

http://www.imaginethatmakesit.com/in...d002bb7a00888d

Some nice stuff! Def. on the list! thanks!
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

How much to you want to spend?

Does she ride her Eurobeast in western tack?

I think you should get here a really spectacular version of some bit of western equipment that you can only get in the States.

A really beautiful saddle wool blanket or spurs and straps would be my vote.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

An indian type western wool saddle pad, without leathers, would be nice, because she could use it as a throw on a chair or sofa or on the floor as a rug.

I think she rides him in western tack. I only saw a picture of her riding him when we cleaned my sister's house. She was her neighbor.

It needs to fit into the suit case, and it should be economical, not cheap, but affordable, so the 600$ show pad is not in the cards.

But something uniquely American for the beast would be cool (and don't nobody suggest a carrot stick, puleeeze!!! )

How about one of those with her initials and some western scrolling or horse motif:

http://campbellsbitsandspurs.com/hoofpicks.html

They sell cheap ones, just with western event silhouettes, for little, on internet catalogs like Smith Brothers, etc.

nice stuff, a lot I have not thought about!!

I figured I get a blanket, maybe a matching rope halter, but this stuff is so much better!

Western theme photo albums with nice western buckles or saddle silver

http://stores.ebay.com/Mac-Mountain-Tack-Repair
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

Keep them coming!

Here's something really cool that is only available stateside:
    Chinks.
    Really nice chinks can be in the $300-400 range, but you can find adequate and functional plainer ones in the $100-200 range.
    They should have fringe. My good pair has curled fringe, known as the buffalo curl, because it looks like the hair on a bison.

This website, buckskinlady.com, shows an array of custom chinks, and mine are similar to #23. You can find decent looking chinks at any western store or a farm store that carries tack. If you go to a Western event with vendors, the sky is the limit. Even plain leather chinks can be dressed up with a few conchos.
    http://www.buckskinlady.com/chinks.html

Why chinks? They are distinctive. They give good weather and brush protection when trail riding, and look darn cool. They give you a little grip, and don't need to be custom-fitted, as the fasteners are adjustable on most of them. They are easier to move around in than full length shotgun chaps, and only rodeo riders wear batwings these days.

This is probably much more than you wish to spend for this kind of gift, but they last indefinitely, particularly if you only wear them occasionally. They make great wall-hanger decor when you aren't using them.

The same website has other gift items, including tooled picture frames and other Western-flavored things.

For $350 you can get a custom woven saddle blanket from these guys: http://www.thebrowncow.com/browncow-saddleblankets.cfm.

It will be beautiful and heavy-- you only need to buy one in a iifetime. But this may not be ideal since it's expensive and it will certainly screw up your packing.

Santa Fe Ranch Supply on Rodeo Rd. (no website, but you can google them and get a phone number) has the most beautiful tooled belts in the history of the world. Some dude in some Dakota makes them by hand. Again, you will spend some money-- $100-$200?-- but one of these belts will hold it's own in any company. The tough part is that a nice belt demands a nice silver buckle....

In any case, the woman who owns Santa Fe Ranch Supply is Frannie and she is very nice. She may be able to steer you in the direction of spur straps or some other nice gift of the western persuasion.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    For $350 you can get a custom woven saddle blanket from these guys: http://www.thebrowncow.com/browncow-saddleblankets.cfm.

It will be beautiful and heavy-- you only need to buy one in a iifetime. But this may not be ideal since it's expensive and it will certainly screw up your packing.

Santa Fe Ranch Supply on Rodeo Rd. (no website, but you can google them and get a phone number) has the most beautiful tooled belts in the history of the world. Some dude in some Dakota makes them by hand. Again, you will spend some money-- $100-$200?-- but one of these belts will hold it's own in any company. The tough part is that a nice belt demands a nice silver buckle....

In any case, the woman who owns Santa Fe Ranch Supply is Frannie and she is very nice. She may be able to steer you in the direction of spur straps or some other nice gift of the western persuasion.
    I might need to visit those guys, my mom is a weaver and I told her she should make some for the western crowd in Germany.... Might have to kill 2 birds with one stone, get a sample for my mom to look at...