The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How many take care of our bodies like we do our horses'?

I was thinking about how the high level horses are taken care of...weight management, chiro/massage/acupuncture, training programs, regular vet care. If the horse is less talented, the more these horses need the help. Is that true for us? I am not a talented rider, I have to work REALLY hard to ride at the level I do (not that high, either! About 2nd-3rd level dressage) and have decided, this year, I am focusing on getting my body right. I made an appointment with my MD to get some blood work pulled and make sure the extra weight I am carrying isn't just because of my eating/exercise program. I am hoping to get a referral to a nutritionist or endocrinologist to address whatever is found. I also started working with a chiropractor and massage therapist (luckily is covered under my insurance!) to make sure I am limber and balanced. So it's on, body! Time to accentuate the positive and eliminate the negative (as much as I can)! Anyone else feeling this is their year?

Not EVEN close!! My arthritic horse get supplements for his joints. Not me, I'm too cheap.

I meticulously control the feeding regime of all of my pets (dogs, cats, horses and geckos) to maintain their optimum weight. Myself? Heck no!! I'm sure that my husband WISHES that I were this concerned about my own weight. LOL

I'm impressed that you can afford to take care of you on top of taking care of said pony. My budget goes to my horse (oh and bills and savings and that sort of thing).

Yeah, I don't even have my own horse, though I've appropriated a school horse that I treat as my own. He definitely eats better than I do. I even considered (for one wild moment) offering to pay for a massage for him.

And yet I'm the one with scoliosis and an achy back....funny.
    Forward momentum!

Yes. I challenged myself a few years ago to have healthy mind/body/spirit and that included taking care of myself physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually. This is a very eastern philosophy and thought and I can say that I grasped most of this through practicing yoga (few Uni classes on self/identity helped as well! ).

Transferring this to horses, we are asking them to be athletes and through the physical work that they do for us, I think it's important to compliment that with proper nutrition, shoeing, and mental stimulation (turnout with other horses). Of course, if you are serious about riding, then you are an athlete as well and need to take care of yourself. A lot of riding is mental, and if you have an unhealthy body then you likely have an unhealthy mind. Furthermore, our bodies are a separate entity of how we feel about ourselves (mind/body connection). If you are feeding your body junk (processed foods, high fat) then this is likely going to be transferred to your self-worth, as a person or as an athlete. We treat our horses with respect, and so we should treat our bodies similarly.

That being said, I eat well, exercise, know my boundaries and limits (very important in my field, working with criminogenic individuals with a lot of mental health and addiction issues), set time for myself (personal thought/reflection), and I do love massages!!!
    Member OMGiH I loff my mares clique!!!

Heh. I don't give my HORSE that! He gets a massage because a friend of the BO is starting out and practices on the horses at our barn. Basically we both work and eat on the old-school plan--no fancy equipment or consults, just working with what you've got! (But if he needs fancy shoes, he gets them before I get the fancy shoes. Cost is about the same, and I can always get mine at Wal-Mart.)

Well, I don't have a horse at the moment to take care of. BUT, I do have a lovely schoolmaster I am privileged to ride, so I kind of feel like I need to step up my game! Plus, the dr, chiro and some of the massage is covered by my insurance (thank god for university job!) so it's not TOO expensive. But groceries that aren't junk ARE expensive, and a gym membership/yoga classes too. I feel like we can take care of our horses, but if we don't give ourselves at least some of that, we can't expect our riding to progress, no matter how nice our horses are. I've ridden some fabulous horses and had some incredible teachers/trainers, but I still have not progressed as far as I would like. The only thing left is to work on my body like I would on a horse that is not progressing like I would like. Only rational right? Common denominator is ME!

I'm at the age where, if I don't take care of myself, I won't be able to ride anymore. I went to a physio and got a set of exercises for my back and bought weights and an exercise bike to add to my longstanding walking routine. (I eschewed a gym membership for financial reasons and because I spend 1 1/2 hours getting to and from the barn as it is).

Now, as someone mentioned earlier, if only I could regulate my caloric intake like I do for my horse.

I'd fail a PPE, Jet wouldn't.

I'd be a pasture pet or ...........
    \"You have two choices when a defining moment comes along - you can either define the moment, or let the moment define you.\" Tin Cup

fizzy fuzzy or whatever and vesper sparrow, you are speaking my language...I have just decided that i have to do something to help my body out! I am thinking yoga but I am also thinking dvd at home...I started vitamins ( if I can remember to take them) and even the "Elations" joint supplement in drink form ( taking too many pills to add that too)... work hard on horses and if I am to keep up (catch up) I gotta start working on ME! give me ideas...know massages would help but not sure i can afford them, thanks

Someone really needs to fit me with a grazing muzzle

I do.
    I eat scheduled meals under the guidance of a nutrionist, I exercise regularly with a personal trainer who also rides, i get at least 8 hrs of sleep a night, and drink 5L of water daily. Granted it's the ye ol barter system that allows me to afford the nutritionist and trainer.

My horse follows a strict nutrition and diet program, and *sigh* spends his vet care budget lately.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Default After the Finish Line

I grew up swimming competitively...for 10 years to be exact. I spent so much time with my head under water! It was the best exercise I could have done for overall fitness - cardio and strength training. I was also a tri-athlete and runner. Yoga has been great for stretching and lengthening the muscles. It has helped my posture when riding. I eat healthy and my body feels lousy if I junk out. I feel more confident as a rider by keeping myself in shape.

Wow, I am envious of those who have the time and money to take care of themselves! I'm a groom and am broken like your typical groom. Hahahaha. My back is never right, my muscles and joints ache every day, pinching, pulling, owowow... yup!
    The horses are happy and healthy, though. I only eat two meals a day lately and they get their three hay two grains daily. I have the opposite problem of a lot of people - I am not an easy keeper so I technically should be eating much more, but so far I'm surviving, just not an ounce of fat on me at the moment! I would love to have another five pounds on me (preferably in areas that I choose...)
    I'd rather be riding!

Healthy food isn't more expensive than junk food. Healthy food just requires preparation usually as opposed to opening a package or popping in the microwave.
    But if you exercise portion control and find a few minutes a time or two a week...you can eat healthy food at the same price (or less) than junk food. Might take a short while for your taste buds to get used to it, but once you get used to healthy food, you realize how crapp the junk food made you feel.
    After all, you can't improve your physical fitness if you keep eating junk. The body needs healthy stuff to run on and repair itself.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

MistyBlue -- I agree 100%!! I will be the first to admit I'm lazy about cooking! I know that eating at home is actually cheaper than what I usually do (eat out), but preplanning for meals was never my strong suit! That's one of the things I am working on this year! I'm going to put myself into a training program like I would a new horse that needs some rehab!!

I try really hard to take as good care of myself as I do my "kids" (aka 2 horses, 2 cats and my beloved dog). I do eat fairly healthy and recently lost 13lbs and am keeping it off. I'd love to take another 5lbs off... but I just don't think I can do it. Oh well. I'm a perfect weight now (not that I wasn't before though).

I do see my chiro regularly. She's amazing. Of course, all my issues would be solved and I wouldn't need to see her if I stopped riding, not that that is going to happen anytime soon though. I also see my massage therapist regularly too. She's equally amazing and together they make a great "team" - it's a good thing they are both in the same clinic too.

And I get routine physicals and bloodwork, just like my horses/dogs/cats. Oh and I see the dentist twice a year, like the horses. Never had a cavity or any major issues (except braces) in my 25 years of life. GLAD I've never had a "power float" cause I think I'd pass out.

And all of this is on a single budget... and I'm planning a wedding in a couple months. So it is doable. But you have to be committed to doing it. It helps that both my parents are in the medical field and I know and see first hand what happens when you let your body "go to pot", as the saying goes. True, I could definitely stand some strength training in my core and upper body... but well, we all have something we need to work on.

And I agree with MistyBlue too - about eating right and portion control. Portion control is the big thing though - and nearly everything is okay in moderation (so I keep telling myslef as I LOVE chocolates). I'm so excited for spring and FRESH produce and vegetables. I even planted my peppers last weekend in hopes that spring will show up sooner (I doubt it).
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

Typically.....not so much, they seem to be taken care of much better then myself. Currently we are totally on the same wavelength! Pony boy got hurt again so instead of the stem cell and controlled walking again, we went au natural and out to pasture he went until August. Works out quite well as I am currently 6 months preggo, so yup right now we are both getting fluffy enjoying our grazing time.

I take care of the basics (eating right and exercising) but I very rarely go to the doc unless it's an emergency (yet I call the vet ASAP if poopsie has a scrape)....my lower back is killing me, but I would rather spend the chiro money on my horse's back, so he's happy....he gets all the latest and greatest tack, treats, accomodations - I'm wearing 3 year old jeans and buy street clothes on clearance... lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by barka.lounger View Post
    u get big old crop and bust that nags ass the next time it even slow down.

we see u in gp ring in no time.