The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

cheap nippers are very hard to work with. Anything under the $75 range is bad. But a good pair should last you a while if you don't use them too much.

But You are better off just using a rasp if you aren't that experienced. You can do more harm than good with nippers if you aren't careful. I don't know a ton about hoof trimming, but I do trim my barefoot ones, however very rarely use nippers unless the hoof wall is insanely long.

Invest in a rasp ($20-$30) and go over the hooves 1x every week of 2 weeks.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Molly Micvee View Post
    I plan on calling my farrier, but as of now I only have one horse with one foot that needs to be trimmed. One foot. I don't want to end up paying 50 dollars for one foot when the other feet are fine and my other horse doesnt need shoes right now.
    op and everyone, I'm sorry I don't mean to sound rude, but I can't get past this statement here and I won't pretend its ok. You say you plan to call the farrier, but then go on to say you don't want to pay.

I read this as "I know I should be calling the farrier, but I really just want to skate until all 4 feet look really bad, not just one"

That is not cool. it is not ok to neglect your horse's feet because you don't want to pay $50. Old, young, naive or seasoned, there is no excuse for that. Thats being cheap at the expense of your animal's comfort.

And I'm sorry if I'm taking this a wee bit personal, but I currently am in the throws of a moral dilemma with a friend of many years...

who is looking to give away her beloved horse who served her faithfully and earned her a living, for almost 10 years...

because his hocks hurt and she doesn't want to go through exhaustion and expense of caring for an arthritic horse....

and the REASON his hocks hurt is because for the last 2 years she was too cheap to get a farrier out on a regular basis, and tried to do it HERSELF a nip here and a rasp there, she'd wait till the poor thing was walking around like a duck before she'd call the farrier out. Even the VET yelled at her for having miserable angles, and she didn't listen.. And guess what? farriers stopped returning her calls too. No farrier wants to be called out every 10 weeks to trim some crazy half nipped half rasped horse for $25.

sorry, but I am fumed over this sad story. A lovely horse, who has earned his keep and paid his dues and then some, is headed down a bad road by a careless owner who knew better but was too cheap.

Sorry op, and sorry anyone I might offend, but I am genuinely enraged and saddened when I read stuff like this. Horses are animals in our care, it is our responsibility to do right by them at every opportunity. Its OK to make a mistake when intentions were good we've all been there, its OK not to know better because you're inexperienced thats happened to everyone, its GREAT to ask for help, when its sincere is so encourage... but its not kosher to try to be cheap when you know better, not when an animals comfort is at stake.

sorry, I hope I didn't come across as rude, I really don't mean to be like that. really, I'm not rude by nature, I'm just genuinely upset by this.
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.
    Click for the ideal stocking stuffer for anyone equine!

Quote Originally Posted by Molly Micvee View Post
    I plan on calling my farrier, but as of now I only have one horse with one foot that needs to be trimmed. One foot. I don't want to end up paying 50 dollars for one foot when the other feet are fine and my other horse doesnt need shoes right now.
    I can't get over this statement...how DARE a farrier try and charge her $50 when only ONE foot needs to be trimmed...

I HAVE the right tools, TOOK the courses and STILL pay a farrier to do my horses...I have never met a farrier who charges "per foot"

No, you raise some very good points.

We don't know enough to be sure what is the case with the OP. But you are right that it is not okay to harm our horses because we are too cheap to get proper care.
    "Passion without knowledge is a runaway horse."

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

Well, Molly definitely needs help and in this case it's not possible to give that kind of help over the Internet--it just isn't! This is a case where you just have to be there to evaluate the situation, which we cannot.

If she isn't willing to get a farrier out there in person to help her what are we to do??? Horses are expensive and learning is a lifelong thing--if she's not willing to pay to get someone out there to help her who suffers the most????

Excuse me for trying to help! It's getting to the point where I'm beginning to be sorry for posting on this board....

There's a reason for the saying, "Don't ask a question if you don't know the answer.". Sometimes you get a rude awakening.
    "A very Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year! Let's hope it's a good one--without any fear".... ~John Winston Lennon~

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

Look, from someone whose horse was quite lame due to poor trimming ... don't go there. Some things with horses you can certainly learn to do yourself, and some of them will be easy to learn. This is not one of those things. If you screw up, you can *really* screw up, and that is not fair to your horse.

My mare needed almost a year off to grow a new foot and work through the resultant body soreness issues that long toes, underrun heels and piss-poor angles caused. I have a new trimmer now (not opposed to farriers, but mare doesn't need shoes right now and I liked this trimmer's work), and even though I've been watching more than a year and half's worth of trims and have become much more knowledgeable, I still would not attempt to trim my horse's feet without supervision.

I would also be surprised if your horse only had one hoof that needed trimming. Sometimes things are going on that aren't obvious to untrained eyes. The best thing you can do here is to educate yourself on hoof anatomy and function and then find a good farrier who is willing to teach you how to maintain between trims and what tools you need (cheap tools being almost worse than no tools).
    Full-time bargain hunter.

Glad you found somebody who trims your horse the way she needs to be done. It takes a while to get a better hoof form when they've been badly run forward. The cool thing is that they continue to get better as they grow more hoof. Initial changes are dramatic, but they continue to slowly improve.

I bet your trimmer would be happy to show you how to keep the toes back between visits. This kind of thing improves the fastest with more frequent trims, and keeping the toes back is key.
    "Passion without knowledge is a runaway horse."