The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Lazy horse

I have a coming 6 yo WB that I have bred and raised myself. She is super quiet, because she was bred that way. Her mother is super quiet and I bred her to a very quiet stallion to get a nice Am. Hunter that I could do myself. That's what I have, but sometimes this girl is ridiculously quiet. This is not a new development, but her general state of being. I have been thinking a supplement like Red Cell might give her a hair more energy and it seems inexpensive enough. She is on 24/7 turnout (and has been most of her life) and on an MSM/glucosamine supplement. I don't want her to be hot or anything. I love my "kick along" WBs, just have been wondering if she might be missing a little something. What supplement would you recommend?

often between a rock and hard place in Ky

I have a slightly lazy TB.. (yes they DO exist) I just started him on equi-jewel rice bran and have noticed a big difference in him. He's not hot at all just more responsive to my leg. When I say lets go now he is ready to kick it up a notch but comes back easily. His coat is looking much better too. Overall I am very happy with it for perking him up without making him hot.
    ___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
    ____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
    ';;;;;;; clique
    //__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!

Like I just posted on the other thread, most of the "lazy" I see is lack of proper training to the forward aids.

Red Cell really should never be used unless the vet has determined, via bloodwork, that the horse truly IS anemic, and then it's used as an intermediary step while the cause of the anemia is found.

If her diet is only forage and the msm/glucosamine, then assuming her weight is fine, I'd put her on a vitamin/mineral supplement and fix the training

You bred a super quiet mare to a super quiet stallion. To put "energy" on her with food is going to mean it's not energy that is all that healthy.

hehehe... Sydney? Quiet? Nah, lol. Maybe she and Panache should mind-meld and trade some quiet for hot and vice versa.
    "Beware the hobby that eats."
    Benjamin Franklin

I just told them at the barn that we need to do some blood transfusions. Take some blood from the hot ones and give it to her and some of her "tired blood" and give it to the crazies!

I have been looking at horse-loverz suggestion about rice bran. It had been an unusally tough winter and she has moved from a barn with more forage (although not sure what they might have, now!), so that might be worth a try. At this point, a few extra calories wouldn't hurt. I have, also, been looking at a supplement that is rice bran, flax, and yeast culture called Gleam & Gain 60. She was getting flax at her last barn. Just have to decide between the supplement and plain rice bran. Horse-loverz, how much rice bran are you feeding?

Like I just posted on the other thread, most of the "lazy" I see is lack of proper training to the forward aids
    I agree 100% a quiet horse does not equal a lazy horse. My last horse was nice and quiet but was forward and in front of my leg to ride.

When you ask for go, expect it and back it up each time.

This doesn't sound like a food/feeding issue.
    I have horse to sell to you. Horse good for riding. Can pull cart. Horse good size. Eats carrots and apples. Likes attention. Move head to music. No like opera! You like you buy.

Yep. My pony mare is like that, and man do I get . She was a lesson pony for a couple years and the trainer said "I give the kids spurs to ride her or they get too tired." That translates to a mare that ignores leg. Last year I felt bad about rubbing her with my spurs, blaming poor riding for the rubs, and realized that I was squeezing at every "sit" when I posted, hence the rubs. If I didn't, she stopped.

Now we back up the squeeze with a jab, the jab with a blast on the flank with the crop, and she is finally getting to the point where I squeeze and she goes.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

often between a rock and hard place in Ky

Quote Originally Posted by luckeys71 View Post
    I just told them at the barn that we need to do some blood transfusions. Take some blood from the hot ones and give it to her and some of her "tired blood" and give it to the crazies!

I have been looking at horse-loverz suggestion about rice bran. It had been an unusally tough winter and she has moved from a barn with more forage (although not sure what they might have, now!), so that might be worth a try. At this point, a few extra calories wouldn't hurt. I have, also, been looking at a supplement that is rice bran, flax, and yeast culture called Gleam & Gain 60. She was getting flax at her last barn. Just have to decide between the supplement and plain rice bran. Horse-loverz, how much rice bran are you feeding?

He gets about 1/2 of one of those standard scoops twice a day. I think it's the extra calories that helped him. He's in good weight but I can definately tell a difference in his get up and go with that little bit of rice bran added.
    ___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
    ____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
    ';;;;;;; clique
    //__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!

Default Hay

I LOVE lazy horses! I'll trade.
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook

A supplement like Red Cell should never be used unless the horse truely needs it such as in the case of anemia. The iron can do more harm than good. Establish the forward aids and sometimes with the lazy ones you need to maintain a higher level of fitness.

pines4equines, I love them, too! That's why I have 2. I hate being pulled on by a horse. I'd much rather have to use more leg. I was just thinking that maybe she needed a little something more. She does go and does everything you ask, just not overly enthusiastically. She is a good mover and a great jumper, but halt has always been her favorite gait! If there was only an opposite of Ace! About 1/2 cc of "opposite Ace" would be just about perfect! It has been a tough winter and although I have been fortunate to be able to ride more than a lot of folks, she has had a lot of down time, so the fitness level is down. At least she has been out moving around and not one just standing in a stall all these long messy days.

"Quiet" is not a typical symptom of anemia, and Red Cell is really only useful for treatment of anemia. "Quiet" is also not a typical symptom of being mildly lacking in calories, and rice bran is basically fat/calories. If she's ribby and dull-coated, sure, fat is great. If she's profoundly anemic, some Red Cell might be just the ticket. Otherwise I'd suggest a pair of spurs.

Her fitness level is down, she's purpose-bred to be exceptionally quiet, and you want to sprinkle on something to "fix" that?

A few lessons that "leg means go" would probably work a lot better, followed by some trot sets.
    Click here before you buy.

Default Hay

What a trail ride to brighten things up a bit too? Maybe a change of scenery will take her from doggy to puppy! Have fun!
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    Now we back up the squeeze with a jab, the jab with a blast on the flank with the crop, and she is finally getting to the point where I squeeze and she goes.
    This is what I do with my lazy/quiet one, seems to work!
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

Yup, the "ask, tell, SPANK" method. Doesn't take but one repetition every couple of weeks to keep my wannabe-lazy mare from forgetting that at the end of each boot heel is a little pointy thing that will be contacting her ribs if needed.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Yup, the "ask, tell, SPANK" method. Doesn't take but one repetition every couple of weeks to keep my wannabe-lazy mare from forgetting that at the end of each boot heel is a little pointy thing that will be contacting her ribs if needed.
    Yep... my guy has received a rude awakening this winter. This was my main goal to work on since we had to take it slow and steady because of the colic surgery.

And I have to say... he is much more responsive.

I agree it's a training issue. And supps/food aren't going to fix that.