The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone else having problems accessing the GOV stallion service auction?

The auction is closing in an hour and I can't seem to access the site. Anyone else having this problem? Last I checked I was the high bidder on the stallion of my choice, but I haven't been able to get onto the website to see if that has changed!

Yes, I am having similar problems. VERY frustrating. The NEDA auction had a similar issue in the final hours, I think they are still investigating but they extended their close date because of it.

We are so sorry for the outage. Tech Support is working on it, but we have no answers at the moment - don't know if it is a hardware failure or a hacker issue.

Those wishing to bid can email your bids to auction manager Shari Glickman at shari.glickman**at**comcast.net.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

And just like that, we are back up!

http://oldenburghorse.auctionanything.com

Hooray! I won the Bridlewood Farms Breeder's choice! Looks like SPS Wallis will have a date with Dacaprio.

I got the Rubinus breeding! I never experienced the outage at all...

I got on earlier and noticed our boys were way up there. Very frustrating when access is denied at the end when most are wanting to bid. Congrats to the winners!
    Tomorrow the AHS auction
    www.immunallusa.com
    www.rainbowequus.com Home of stallions that actually produced champion hunter, jumper and dressage offspring and now also champion eventers

Again, we are very sorry for the outage. It sort of hit all of us out of the clear blue. The auction company had a technician on site that was able to get the site back up and they were going to run diagnostics overnight to try to determine what happened. Early indications were that it was not a hardware failure, and they have a 99% record of up-time, so are a bit perplexed about this outage.

There were a LOT of bids placed after the site came back up (two-thirds of yesterday's total bids), so it appears that most folks stuck with it.

Thanks again everyone for your understanding, and congrats to the winners!

(Edgar, your boys did great - they had the second highest bid! Thanks so much for your support!)

I thought it was a real shame. I had planned to bid again, but could not access the site while I was available. Hope not too many had the same issue!

I had also planned on bidding again, and was unable to access the site. Didn't the NEDA auction extend the bidding time by 24 hours or something like that? That seems more fair than expecting people to sit for over an hour, not knowing what the heck is going on, and if the site is coming back at all!

We discussed extending the auction but were afraid that would cause even more problems for the folks who got bids in after the site came back up. We are discussing options for those of you who were not able to bid - stay tuned.

We still don't have a final answer on what happened, but preliminary investigation indicates that the failure was NOT in the auction database or software. They are trying to determine if it was a targeted attack or a network connection issue.

How about a simple non tech solution?
    Have bidders send their contact info to Shari with info on stallions they are interested in, and she forwards the info the respective SO.

SO may want to offer a deal to more than one MO.

The ATA used to send SOs contact info on those who bid on the stallion but did not win the bid.

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    We discussed extending the auction but were afraid that would cause even more problems for the folks who got bids in after the site came back up. We are discussing options for those of you who were not able to bid - stay tuned.

We still don't have a final answer on what happened, but preliminary investigation indicates that the failure was NOT in the auction database or software. They are trying to determine if it was a targeted attack or a network connection issue.
    Were the problems with the NEDA auction and this one related? Is it the same auction company? I am wondering if there will be similar problems with the AHS auction that closes tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakstable View Post
    How about a simple non tech solution?
    Have bidders send their contact info to Shari with info on stallions they are interested in, and she forwards the info the respective SO.

SO may want to offer a deal to more than one MO.

The ATA used to send SOs contact info on those who bid on the stallion but did not win the bid.
    We are discussing something along these lines - not sure yet what the decision will be. Everyone on the committee is at work at our REAL jobs, so it is taking some time to discuss the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by myhorsehannah View Post
    Were the problems with the NEDA auction and this one related? Is it the same auction company? I am wondering if there will be similar problems with the AHS auction that closes tonight.
    I don't believe NEDA uses the same s/w, so I don't think the problems are related. I also don't think that AHS uses this s/w, but again - we are pretty sure it is not a problem with the s/w itself, or the auction company's equipment.

One of the possibilities is that ISPs are getting overwhelmed with traffic from people following the Olympics online. Other possibilities - as I mentioned earlier - are a targeted attack (although the company has incredibly strong firewall protection), or a h/w failure at the ISP. Whatever the cause, we are thankful they were able to get the site back up before the scheduled close, and that so many people did place bids after it came back up. This is our fourth year using this software and the first time we have had a problem like this. Unfortunately, we are all at the mercy of technology sometimes.

Default GOV Auction

Well, I am glad it just wasn't me! I was frantically trying to connect to the site........Sorry Down Yonder for all my e-mails to you!

OK, we think we have come up with a solution for those of you that wanted to bid in the auction but were unable to access the site. Please go to http://oldenburghorse.auctionanything.com/ for details.