The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

HiHoSilver Guest

Default Shipping a horse long distance?

Not sure if this is the read forum for this question but I am going to be shipping a horse from southern CA to northern MI. My mare is generally calm but can get a little worked up in small 2-horse trailers. We've always trailed her to shows with the partition down which seems to keep her calm. Any suggestions on shipping companies or should we just try and ship her ourselves? How does everyone find stop over barns along the way if you do it yourself?

You can get a box stall with all the major shipping companies- but I find most of them do fine in a straight stall with a view of 3 other horses.

I wouldn't ship that far in small, non-air-ride trailer. Just seems too hard on their legs. I know mostly East Coast companies, but a few do runs everywhere- Elite Horse Transport, Brookledge, Judge Manning. I'm sure others will have better company suggestions.

I see Bob Hubbard rigs often around here (southern California) and they always look in good repair and well maintained. I think I also got a quote from them when we moved from Colorado to California and they were pretty reasonable. We ended up doing the move ourselves and I wouldn't recommend it. Very stressful for us (not as much for the horses). But if you do decide to do it yourselves, there are a few books out there with listings of overnight stabling across the country. Or there are a few online directories...a google search just turned up www.horsetrip.com and www.overnightstabling.com. Good luck!
    Happiness is the sweet smell of horses, leather, and hay.

We had a client ship from here (PA) to UT with Nationwide and was happy.
    Recently a client shipped from here to CA and I asked her about her exp. Doug West twelve oaks horse transport- 1-951-532-7888 he was very responsive-kept in touch with me- horse was in good shape on arrival and rig was very clean and he traveled in a box stall He was less expensive than Bob Hubbard Horse Transport
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Draught Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

According to our shipper,(Potomac Horse Carriers whom I think only does East coast), Judge Manning and Brookledge are the best of the best. I'd get in touch with those guys and follow their advice.

For long distance travel, I feed wet, soupy suppers to my guys for about the last 4 nights before they travel. I also give Ulcergard to one of my OTTBs for about a week leading up to and a week following his trip. The big rigs are so comfy and the ride is so smooth the horses arrive very cheerful and ready to go. Much happier than when I drag them around in my 2 horse GN! Good luck.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

masterrig Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HiHoSilver View Post
    Not sure if this is the read forum for this question but I am going to be shipping a horse from southern CA to northern MI. My mare is generally calm but can get a little worked up in small 2-horse trailers. We've always trailed her to shows with the partition down which seems to keep her calm. Any suggestions on shipping companies or should we just try and ship her ourselves? How does everyone find stop over barns along the way if you do it yourself?
    I've trailered a 1-yr. old Appy from San Diego County to Michigan, in a 1-horse trailer. I made sure, I had plenty of water for him, with a little molasses in it. Carried his regular feed. Made sure he had all his vet work done and paper work for travelling with him. We stopped about every 4-hrs. and walked him around and munch a little grass. Along the way too, we'd put him up with a local rancher in the Western States, while we got a motel room. Once we crossed the Mississippi River, it was stops at road-side rest areas till we got to our destination. He did quite well and while traveling, just looked around. He never gave a minute's trouble. When we reached Michigan, I had a vet look him over and he found nothing wrong with my horse. I couldn't afford a transport company at the time but it made for an interesting and educational trip. I guess, it depends on what you can afford and what you care to do.

Chuck

Reese's All State Horse Express. I've used them more than once. (719) 392-1234.

I've also hauled from the east coast to the west coast myself. I used two guides regarding finding stabling along the way. Unfortunately, that was in 1987 and those two publications were out of print then. I don't know of anything available now.
    Last edited by Twiliath; Feb. 22, 2010 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Left stuff out.
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com