The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Harry Dabbs Stockholm dressage saddle

Does anyone know anything about these saddles please?

This won't be any help, I'm sure. Years ago I had a Hartley, evidently built by Dabbs. Wish I'd kept it.

Check them for twists in the tree. I mean the asymmetrical kind that you don't want. A couple of the used ones I've seen were slightly twisted. Don't know if that's a manufacturing defect or a result of abuse.

All I can say is my trainer won't have any of thier saddles on her yard!

Lgd1, could you elaborate? Was I lucky to find a Dabbs-manufactured saddle that wasn't junk?

I don't know about the Stockholm, but I have a Harry Dabbs saddle, I sold years ago because it was too narrow for my horse. I just bought it back (new horse), and I will never sell it again! I Love that saddle, it fits me perfectly, and no tree or quality problems.

Now I am small and swim in many saddles. This is a 17", set back stirrups bars and shorter flap, OH heaven! I saddle built for a girl, not a thumping big man!!

Quote Originally Posted by Beasmom View Post
    Lgd1, could you elaborate? Was I lucky to find a Dabbs-manufactured saddle that wasn't junk?
    Crooked tree on a Jaguar caused a young horse from the yard to miss out on winning the YH world champs for his age group. Made him VERY sore and needed quite some time off to recover. The bearing surface on the Jaguars is not very large either. That model is quite popular in the UK and after the issue above occured I've paid attention to them a lot more. Some may be fitting/rider issues but it is noticeable that a lot seem to drift off to the right.
    Saddler friend also says the innards were not stellar when she had occasion to have one apart.

That observation aligns with my impression that many Dabbs saddles are crooked. I was lucky, I guess, my Hartley was straight.

Thank you.

I recently went shopping for a Dominus dressage saddle, which was the line Peter Menet designed before designing Amerigo/Vega. The Dominus saddles were built by Harry Dabbs. Along the way I saw three Dominus saddles that had twisted trees, broken trees, pommel nails coming loose, and/or cracking on the seat.

At the time I assumed that it was just an old discontinued saddle line, and therefore some of the saddles would be worn out. But given this thread, I wonder if it's a problem with Harry Dabbs saddle trees from that era.

I did finally find an unbroken Dominus that seems very different from the broken ones that I saw (totally different panel configuration, etc). I'm very happy with the one that I bought.

lol well it's on it's way to me for a trial so I will let you know as I won't have a crooked saddle anywhere near my horse!! I'm hoping I will be like Bronte