The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by tempichange View Post
    Why does that remind me of Huge Heffner?
    I'm sure he would be fine with Huge, he may even change his name, I think it's hysterical

BTW I love the idea of an ascot or a little color, I'm going to have to try it.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Look--there are some options out there between "a properly tied stock tie", and looking like you are going to introduce Masterpiece Theater. Link is below. I used this last year and loved it. Not too "poofy" and doesn't require a pin, or any high level mastery of knots.

Now, keep in mind, this advice is coming from someone who openly admits that she wears a SHOW BOW (gasp!) I have a lot of hair and unless it's contained in a "net" I can't seem to get it neat looking (I tried to go "sans showbow once and actually had a dressage judge comment about it on my sheet).
    Message[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=147512437[/SIZE][/FONT]

Last edited by slp2; Feb. 21, 2010 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slp2 View Post
    Look--there are some options out there between "a properly tied stock tie", vs. "cheesy ascot-y tie" (link to example below) I used this last year and loved it. Not too "poofy" and doesn't require a pin, or any high level mastery of knots.

Now, keep in mind, this advice is coming from someone who openly admits that she wears a SHOW BOW (gasp!) I have a lot of hair and unless it's contained in a "net" I can't seem to get it neat looking (I tried to go "sans showbow once and actually had a dressage judge comment about it on my sheet).
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=147512437
    I have the same problem with my hair. I French plait it and loop it into a bun. With a hairnet over the bun, it stays pretty tidy.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Kookicat: That would be assuming I could braid! Heh, heh, if there were a "Show Bow" my horses mane, I would totally use it (no matter how tacky!) But I am not very good at braiding a horses mane--let alone my mane! I cut deals to clean someone's tack in exchange for braiding whenever possible.

deltawave is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Again, it's not that I'm incapable of tying a stock tie. It's just that I don't like the way they look, and when I like how mine looks, that means it's choking me. And I'm all about fake ones and short cuts--I use RUBBER BANDS for braiding, after all! But they all just look . . . I dunno, fake. And again, secretly I just want to wear some paisley and have my little laugh.
    Last edited by deltawave; Feb. 21, 2010 at 06:53 PM. Reason: grammar
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Again, it's not that I'm incapable of tying a stock tie. It's just that I don't like the way they look, and when I like how mine looks, that mean's it's choking me. And I'm all about fake ones and short cuts--I use RUBBER BANDS for braiding, after all! But they all just look . . . I dunno, fake. And again, secretly I just want to wear some paisley and have my little laugh.
    OK I believe you.

If you want to look like Oscar Wilde on horseback, then I'd say go for it.

Shame you're not closer. We could do a trade! I'd rather plait than clean tack most days.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Ok, DW I have to tell you I'm going to start looking for an ascot. . . I love the idea and hey, so what if we get hired for Masterpiece Theater, or get mistaken for Robert Wagner

My instructor will not be happy though, I fear.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Original Poster

I'm totally doing it. Except ebay doesn't work today on my home computer (satellite psychosis) so I can't look at all the selections. Who knew you could find an ascot on Ebay?

I also think I have to find a collared shirt with no buttons to be "proper". (and I do use the term loosely)

God, there's no "neckwear must be white" rule, is there?

My trainer will go and die. She's one of those tall, elegant types who looks like an ad from the (insert really nice show clothes name of your choice, you can tell I don't own any) catalog, especially when she's riding.

I have worn a blue ascot tied like a menswear tie at a schooling show, with matching pad, and braided ribbon browband...but, in my defense this was after going to the Dublin horse show and being inspired. LOL

A friend wore a very subtle one to a recognized show and was whistled over by the dressage judge, who told her it was inappropriate. So, unless your dressage is way better than mine, it might be a risk in some places. As my husband says though, if they have time to notice my tie then I must be doing something right. He seems fairly secure in himself though, as he wears a viking helmet cross country, and rides a Morgan/Belgian mare named Diva.

I say go for it! At the Exquis Dressage Masters freestyle, one of the competitors was wearing a shiny, satin-y royal blue jacket and her music included Lady Gaga. Times, they are a -changin'!

Foxhunters wear colored stock ties with tweed for cubbing.

I would not recommend colored neck wear with black or navy unless it is a men's tie. Just sayin'.
    Liz
    Lionwood Irish Draught Horses
    irishdraught.co

You mean someone out there might have crazier neckwear than mine in the D?! Do it! I've worn a white stock with navy pin dots with my navy jacket for about a decade and never had a comment from a judge other than "very nice turnout!" at a schooling show. You can't tell me an ascot is more flamboyant than some of the stocks in D catalogues. You'll have to post pictures.

Three thoughts--

1) Basically I like the idea (that, and $3 will get you a Starbucks...).

2) Why not just tie your stock tie using the Ascot knot?

3) Just keep in mind that you do not want floppy collar points as you trot down the centerline.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Original Poster

Just keep in mind that you do not want floppy collar points as you trot down the centerline.
    As long as they keep time with everything else that's flopping (hands, elbows, chin, ankles, etc.) then it's all good.

I like it. go for it.

In answer to the other question, you can get away with a pale colored stock tie in the dressage - I regularly wear one that is white with a pale blue pattern with a navy coat, and I've seen a number of very attractive pale plaids (e.g., white background, pale red or green grid). Not going to get you to all kinds of wild, but they tend to look nice and if well tied, polished.

As for an ascot, well, er, um . . . carry on, then.

I just wanted to point out for DW's sake that there is more than one KIND of stock.

There's the kind you're probably used to seeing - http://www.gallopssaddlery.com/images/stocktie_lg2.jpg

the 'european' kind -
    http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/EquestrianCollections/WC00006-a?$oldimage$

and the 'waterfall' kind, which I can't seem to find a picture of. Its not all starchy-folded looking like the others, but soft folds and poofs. Very pretty.

I learned of these when I was shopping for a custom stock. They also come in lots of different, very neat fabrics (and colors!).

Worth checking out if you chicken out on the ascot.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Original Poster

I may chicken out at the ditch and wall, but I'm not going to chicken out over neckwear! Horse show attire in general needs to remove the collective stick from its arse--I'm just planning to do my small part.

The rule book just says "Shirt--white or light color, with stock and pin, or choker, or tie" but nothing about the color of the stock/choker/tie... so it looks like you're legal!