The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default I would totally, totally wear this in dressage and think it looks great.

I loathe tight collars around my neck. Stock ties are seemingly beyond my capabilities to "do" properly, and fake ones, although I have several, just never look right.

I was searching for something else on Ebay (I have a paisley addiction) and I saw this. It's totally goofy for "normal" wear, but wouldn't this look awesome with a dressage jacket? A nice, comfy open collar and one of these for style.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Classic-suave-st...item35a4ad3dfe
    Click here before you buy.

I have one like that that I wore to work in the 1980's, sort of like in when Harry met Sally. Sorry, I cannot look at this one without remembering that dreadful style, nor the British riding instructor that wore those to the awful riding school in NYC to teach every day.

Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I don't like the high collar version, but DANG the thought of a little bit of "zip" in my neckwear is just about irresistible! Deep, deep down inside this non-fashionista is someone who really wants to have a little bit of not-in-your-face-too-much fun dressing up for horse shows.

I just might have to do it. Anyone know how to tie one of those things?

I love those! Sadly, I can barely manage a stock tie so I am pretty sure one of those would be out of the question. They do look really nice, though.

Wow, DW, methinks you must be descended from British aristocracy?

YIKES...an ASCOT???

DW, you are FAR too intelligent to be confuzzled by a simple square knot: Right over left, then left over right. Tighten then flip over the ends and pin.

I look up to you in so many areas, don't fail me NOW on THIS!!!
    \"I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed.\"--Pogo

Quote Originally Posted by Mary in Area 1 View Post
    Right over left, then left over right. Tighten then flip over the ends and pin.
    Umm...IT'S A SQUARE KNOT?! Why didn't anyone say so? I've been trying to follow that bad drawing that came with the tie for a year. But I'm an outward bound alum and a boy scout mom, I can do a square knot.

Maybe I'll see if I can find it and try it now.

Yeah, I know it's a square knot, and I can tie them pretty well. (to pass our surgical rotation we had to throw 100 "surgeon's knots"--which are square knots--in less than a minute, without looking, both with two hands, using instruments, and if you wanted a surgical residency, ONE hand) But although my sutures stay put, my stock always look sort of sad and lumpy. I think it's because I have an aversion to "poof" and always want to squash mine down, which kills the effect.

I'm not sure if this wouldn't be just as "poofy" and if you made it subtle it might still look sad and squashed. But the thought of NOT having something tight around my neck is so tempting.

British aristocracy, haaaa! More like immigrant proletariat.

See? It couldn't be simpler. http://suityourself.com/tie_a_ascot.asp People, you are witnessing the birth of a fashion trend in lower level eventing.

You see, men don't really have a "fashion option". Yes, I'm jealous. I have the same crappy white polyester men's tie I've always had.

Default WEEEELLLLL,

I'm not big into "poof" either, but I always say I like my stock ties the way I like my men: long and stiff!

And, I don't like them tight, either!
    \"I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed.\"--Pogo

Oh come on, riderboy, an Ascot IS a man's neckwear. Be secure in your manliness! Get one that's black with skulls on it or something.

Mary!

After looking at the Ascot directions, I realize that that's how I've been doing my "stock" tie all these years. Ooops.

So I googled "tying a stock tie" and lookee what came up, circa 2003! :

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=24263

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    I loathe tight collars around my neck. Stock ties are seemingly beyond my capabilities to "do" properly, and fake ones, although I have several, just never look right.

I was searching for something else on Ebay (I have a paisley addiction) and I saw this. It's totally goofy for "normal" wear, but wouldn't this look awesome with a dressage jacket? A nice, comfy open collar and one of these for style.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Classic-suave-st...item35a4ad3dfe
    If you want to look like you're about to star in Oscar Wilde's Imporance of Being Ernest then go ahead

But to ride dressage

For goodness sakes, I'm wondering how on earth you manage to tie your shoe laces!?

How easy is it to tie a stock tie!?! Look and learn:

http://www.saddleshop.com/extras/stocktie.htm

Meh. Gotta say I've never had anyone - judge, TD, or other competitor, tell me that my tie was wrong. So long as you've got some sort of neckwear on and are clean and neat, I don't think anyone really notices.

DW......a snifter of cognac and a pipe and the look would be complete

You and Cary Grant could wile away the hours together talking about your sailing adventures or Badminton runs or whatever.

Oh come on, riderboy, an Ascot IS a man's neckwear. Be secure in your manliness! Get one that's black with skulls on it or something.

Mary!
    Black with red flames?
    T3DE 2010 Pact Group
    Barefoot Eventers Clique
    http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...2lkxcbn110.jpg

Why does that remind me of Huge Heffner?
    Kelly
    It is rare to see a rider who is truly passionate about the horse and his training, taking a profound interest in dressage with self-abnegation, and making this extraordinarily subtle work one of the dominant motivations of his life.\"

Mary!
    I don't know, maybe if I went on the TV show "What Not to Wear" I could get help.