The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Truck tires - for dually

I may or may not be getting all new tires this week, I picked up a bolt/screw of some sort in the RF and it cannot be patched. So, when the store manager was telling me I'd have to get a new tire, I was not happy, because I don't like those tires. At. all.

store manager was very surprised, but then he went and looked more closely at the tread, and noticed that they are pretty worn for 20K miles. And, then noticed that my tires are a discontinued version of the ones he thought they were that "everyone with trucks" has good luck with.

My issues are, worse handling in the snow than the OEM.

What I noticed today is that the spare (the OEM, which was the same as the originals) is a narrower footprint. Both are Goodyear tires, but the new ones that I'm not loving are Wrangler Silent Armour, the OEM is a Goodyear AP of some sort.

In 2003, my truck was a beast in nearly the same amount of snow, with those OEM tires. In 2010, my truck is fishtailing all over the road with the supposedly better snow tires.

I read somewhere that narrower tires are better in snow, is this true? Because my limited experience says that there might be something to that. Also, the first tires lasted just under 50K miles. These are looking pretty low on tread at 20K miles.

I definitely need more than 25K miles out of 6 tires, especially given the prices these days, what brand/style of tires do you use on 4x4 dually trucks, mainly used for hauling?

Thanks!

Have to say my dually is a whale in deeper snow, good tread or not. Deep stuff, it just wallows around on the surface. Mine is a 2-wheel drive, great for highway hauling, not so good on poor surfaces like mud or wet grass by itself. Adding weight is a big help, but that is a lot of weight to make a one-ton truck do any squatting down.

With dually trucks, the wider rear set of tires just "floats" above instead of really biting into snow or mud. You have too much surface on the tire width in pairs. Side by side, the tires do not really get bite into the snow or mud, to get a grip and bite, like single tire model trucks do. Part of the good and the bad of driving a dually. I try real hard not to take it out on winter snowy roads, just can't grab surface well. Lucky I have a small truck to drive for daily running.

Any chance of taking one rear tire off each side, for winter? Maybe call the Dealer and ask about it. Just an idea to consider for bad weather times. You may hear some jokes about the looks, but that is MUCH better than getting stuck often. Even with only 2-wheel drive, I could go MANY places and get back out of them, when I had the old truck with 4 tires, snow treads on behind.

My dually is not a happy camper in deep snow either and I have 4WD! The snow packs in between and they are not especially effecient in deep going at all

I JUST replaced the 6 tires on my dually at 130,000 kms (about 81,000 miles) and the tread was actually still decent in behind, but looking worn up front. They were (and still are!) the Goodyear Rugged Trail tires and I have nothing but the very best of things to say about them. I paid $190.00 a tire but owing to their performance on this truck and on all of the other dually's we have owned, I'd never put anything else on there

I know the duallies are supposed to be bad in snow, but in 2003, this truck was fabulous, as it was in other years of lighter snows. This year, it is bad. Since in 2003, I had a bed full of snow, and now I have a garage and a clear bed, I did go buy 12 bags of sand to sit back there, which helped some, but I haven't been happy with these tires.

I will not be taking off a tire on the rear though...I'm hopeful that I'll be back to my little car on Monday. The driveway is melting!

I'd replace with the tires you liked back in 2003 if you can.

No tires or even 4x can keep your traction in the worst conditions. Those nutty guys that go 4 wheelin in the mountains almost always have a truck mounted winch on at least one of the rigs.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I've had excellent luck with the Cooper All Terrain tires on both of our duallies. Even the 2 wheel drive one can make it out of a wet paper bag if it has them on LOL. Not only do they have good traction, they wear well and are comparatively cheap - always a good thing in my book.
    Lapeer ... a small drinking town with a farming problem.
    Proud Closet Canterer!

Thanks for all the suggestions. 5-7" of slush with 10K+ lbs behind proved a bit too much coming in this afternoon. Luckily, that was the driveway, so we unloaded all 4 horses, and then I got up the hill in 4 Low. That was annoying. No tire would be great there though, I sure do hope we get rain to keep melting this!

I'll decide what to do tomorrow when they call me back.

I have found the following tire ratings list pretty interesting (link below). Click on the specific tire to get to the "reviews" tab for each one; reviews are submitted by independent buyers where they also state what kind of vehicle they have and how many miles they've used said tire:
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=ORAT

I'm needing new tires all around on my '94 Chevy 4x4 and have about decided on the Michelin LTX AT/2's. All I need to do is come up with the $$$ (hopefully before the next snow/ice storm!)
    Equus Keepus Brokus

I have toyo open country h/t "tuff duty" tires on my dodge (non dually) and they are great, i think i have about 20k on them and they really look brand new. they are pretty quiet and are made for trucks that tow a lot. they are rated for mud and snow although i have never been in the snow with them.

as someone has mentioned before, trucks with duellies will just float on the snow. a narrower tire will help, but i dont know how much with the duals in back.

I put 6 new Michelin LTX- AT's on my dually 2 weeks after I got it. The difference between those and the stock tires is like night and day, especially in wet or icey conditions. I would NEVER go back to the stock tires, the Michelins are worth every penny extra and they weren't that much more than 6 goodyears.
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF