The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default If you have to feed Nutrena...

I know there have been many feed/nutrition posts lately, but this has been bothering me.

My feed of choice is Seminole, however the local dealer closed, and the nearest one isn't around me. The other feed store only carries Nutrena. I have little experience with Nutrena, but if you are forced to feed them, what is a good basic feed for a fairly easy keeper.

Do you go with Vitality? XTN? Safechoice?

Thanks for any help, I am still learning my equine nutrition facts!

I've seen safechoice fed to a range of horses.

I'm under the impression vitality and XTN are for more hard keepers.

I also know some people who feed compete to their horses who don't work a whole lot or have fast metabolisms.

For an easy keeper, my first choice would probably be their "LiteBalance." Formulated for easy keepers. XTN is way too high test for an easy keeper. You could probably get away with some form of the Vitality, but it wouldn't be my first choice for an easy keeper, and I've never been THAT impressed with the SafeChoice.

Nutrena also doesn't used fixed formulas for their feeds. The ingredients change frequently. And as has been stated several times here the NSC for Safe Choice is not really that low. I believe it is around 26%.

But not everyone worries about "fixed formulas". And if you're only feeding a half pound of something, the NSC content really vanishes into the background, assuming the hay is good stuff and the horse is not made of eggshells, nutritionally speaking.

Mine get switched to Safe Choice in the winter when they go to my trainer's barn. They do fine, and handle the switch over spring and fall with no trouble--at home they get a Purina ration balancer (also a non-fixed formula, oh no!) and some vitamin/minerals.
    Click here before you buy.

Thanks, while he is an easy keeper, I still want something that will allow him to have the energy to compete comfortably and provide him with whatever else he needs. He gets no supplements, and like Delta said, probably only 1/2 a pound of feed morning and night.

Since I'm speaking of him, here are a few pictures from his last horse show:
    http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/Thum...9&g=00FD00FZ01

(if it doesn't link directly, I'm rider #15 in the Rocking Horse Derby)

He's just one of those hardy little paints that is fairly indifferent with what I give him.

Thanks for the suggestions so far! The woman at the feed store suggested Vitality, but her reasoning was just because it is one of her more commonly sold feeds for performance horses. I kind of wanted more of a nutritional reason for it!

When a horse only needs a very small amount of concentrate, I always like to choose a ration balancer; at least there you're getting relatively high amounts of your "extras" in a small volume. But even using a RB, I feed so little of it (other than the BOTTOMLESS PIT of a broodmare) I still add a vit/min supplement because we're so pitifully lacking here in some important stuff in the hay and soil.
    Click here before you buy.

If he's not losing weight when he competes and he's not sluggish, then he doesn't need grain for the energy. And 1 pound of grain isn't providing much energy anyway.

The other reason you'd be feeding a grain is to balance out nutrients from the hay ration. Most grains (like Vitality, SafeChoice, XTN, etc.) are fortified so that the horse needs to eat at least 5-6 pounds to get the appropriate level of vits/mins.

LiteBalance looks like a ration balancer that's designed to be fed in in the range of 1-2 lbs daily, so LiteBalance would get you the vit/mins you need at the quantities you're wanting to feed.

I fed I think the same ration balancer dw uses for several years to several fat little chunks who were hard working and competing. They all did GREAT on it. There's was energy to spare for a couple of them. I currently feed my chunkies Pennfield Cool N Lite, which isn't an RB but is formulated for ponies and easy keepers. Again, all the little chunkies (and BIG chunkies. The biggest horse in the barn gets the least amount of feed! He DOES get a vit/min sup since he gets SO little) are sleek, shiny, and do their jobs with ease. These chunks of mine range from BN type horses to training level horses that are doing a good bit of galloping (well, when we can gallop). The big guy has to work HARD to be fit enough for training level, but he just does NOT need a bunch of feed. If the hay and pasture are good and you fill in the gaps right, you don't necessarily need to feed a ton of concentrates, just because they work (obviously, that isn't true for EVERY horse, but it's a good jumping off point in basic feeding 101).

Now, if energy IS an issue, then you need to figure out why. One of my ponies was getting the Cool N Lite, but was definitely a little low. We ran blood (he apparently had been fighting a real low grade virus), but we also decided with the vet that due to his big workload (his kid has to be reminded to give him a day off) that he just was not getting enough calories. Switched him to something with more calories, and he perked up.

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

RnR, why don't you just speak with a representative from Nutrena??? I would think they would know their products better than anyone. Just tell them about your horse and what you do with him and let them recommend the best feed.
    "If you can't be thankful for what you have, you can at least be thankful for what you've avoided." author unknown

jn4jenny- good point, I that didn't even occur to me. I doubt it won't make a large difference at the small amount he's eating anyway.

And thanks for the suggestion Cherry, I'll try calling them and seeing what they recommend. I just wanted to know from a more personal point of view, what Nutrena feeders like and recommend, and why.

AS mentioned, if it's an easy keeper and you're feeding just 1-2lb of a "lite" product, then not having a fixed formula isn't an issue unless you have a horse so sensitive to something like corn and can't risk having it in there at all.

But even at that point, it's even easier to use a vit/min supplement and a pound or so of alfalfa pellets or beet pulp, if even that much (depending on the easiness of the horse).

Quote Originally Posted by Cherry View Post
    RnR, why don't you just speak with a representative from Nutrena??? I would think they would know their products better than anyone. Just tell them about your horse and what you do with him and let them recommend the best feed.
    Excellent sensible idea!

I feed Nutrena here daily

Most horses in my barn receive Stock & Stable by Nutrena. And they look FABULOUS! They were on Safe Choice previously. I also have some on Senior and some on XTN(halter horses & a barrel horse). My horses get very small/moderate amounts unless they are here for humane rehab - and that is a different story all together. Since many of the horses in my care are "in storage" for the winter as their owners rarely if ever come out when it is cold, they need very little to maintain great condition.
    Last edited by Woodland; Feb. 21, 2010 at 09:51 AM.
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

I feed Safechoice to my coming 3 year old and 7 year old Morgans. Love it.

My TB was on Safechoice while training and competing actively at Training and Preliminary in eventing. I eventually changed him to McCauley's Alam since another horse at the barn was getting it and it was easier on the barn manger. Otherwise, I was happy with how my horse did on the Safechoice and had no bad experience with it.
    Failure is always an option*
    -Mythbusters

*As long as you figure out what you f'ed up and fix it! -Me

Quote Originally Posted by RnR View Post
    Thanks, while he is an easy keeper, I still want something that will allow him to have the energy to compete comfortably and provide him with whatever else he needs. He gets no supplements, and like Delta said, probably only 1/2 a pound of feed morning and night.

Since I'm speaking of him, here are a few pictures from his last horse show:
    http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/Thum...9&g=00FD00FZ01

(if it doesn't link directly, I'm rider #15 in the Rocking Horse Derby)

He's just one of those hardy little paints that is fairly indifferent with what I give him.

Thanks for the suggestions so far! The woman at the feed store suggested Vitality, but her reasoning was just because it is one of her more commonly sold feeds for performance horses. I kind of wanted more of a nutritional reason for it!

I would recommend talking to a Nutrena rep. I don't feed Nutrena...but was watching a Nutrena rep on Chris Cox's show and she said that for horses in competiition, she recommended using adding Empower to Safe Choice, as Safe Choice didn't offer enough fat for a competition horse. So you might want to talk to a feed rep.

Edited because I skimmed the first time (oops)...if your horse doesn't need alot of grain, you are wasting your money buying "regular grain"..he's not not getting what he needs from it. I would also recommend feeding a ration balancer of some sort. I feed Pennfield's Cool N Lite to my easy keeper. You can also feed Platinum Performance with just hay for easy keepers. And heck, they ship it to your door.

If you are feeding a 1000 pound plus horse only a pound of Safe Choice for instance you aren't meeting nutritional requirements for that feed anyways. Like mentioned best to do a ration balancer or add vit/min along with the pound of feed. Safe Choice says right on the bag .25-.5 pounds of feed/hundred weight for maintenance. So the minimum required to feed for Safe Choice would be 2.5 pounds for a 1000 pound horse. I feed it because I pick it up a mile from my house and overall I think it's pretty good for the price.

Which Seminole Feed were you feeding? That might give all of us a better idea of what he's been doing well on, as well as what would best compare....
    Standardbred Lover- owner of Studs Hooligan, aka Strider, ex- pacer, retrained for eventing and endurance
    Strider-OTSTB-, Gus-OTTB-, and Rio-rescued QH!
    Founder of the High Maintenance Horses Clique