The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Rehabbing after stallrest: bellboots, schmellboots

My almost 4 year old is coming back into work after 6 months stall rest. He is on paddock turnout (1/3 acre) several hours/day until we're through the winter. He is still pretty weak/lacking in muscle. Lungeing 5-10 minutes, 2x a day was recommended.

Day 1: Despite being "all booted up" he came came back from lungeing with a deep abrasion on his heel.

I'd been using the standard rubber bell boot but I know I there are boots made of heavier materials out there.

Any recommendations for bell boots or protecting those heels?
    http://behindthebitblog.com
    Dressage, riding, sport horse blog

These are some of my favorite bell boots
    Pull-ons are a pain and the rubber ones with velcro rub my horse until he bleeds. These are thicker too.

The white gets kinda dirty though(!). For sizing the larges work for my TB who does have pretty small feet..
    Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Don't throw away opportunities because they aren't coming in exactly the form you want them to.

Do yourself a favor and buy the Professional's Choice Quick-Wrap bellboots. My farrier jokes that they are bulletproof! (And I think they might be.)

My guy used to wear bell boots 24/7 and the Davis ones were most durable for him.

Any others he would ruin/damage quickly or take off.

Treasure lives in these (literally)
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Quote Originally Posted by Grataan View Post
    Treasure lives in these (literally)
    *I* really liked those boots...however my horse did not...or maybe he did seeing as he was always found eating them.

How? I don't know. Even though he's missing two front teeth he does a heck of a job destroying clothing/apparel.

Default I bought professional choice

I went to Horseman's outlet and bought the Pro Choice Quickwrap boots -- Riley seems to go through bell boots (regular rubber) at a rate of one pair every 2 weeks, so maybe these'll hold up.

Grataan, I was leaning toward the Pro Choices you recommended, but they looked REALLY small and the biggest size was a medium. Do you have a size recommendation or can you tell me if they do indeed run small? Riley is a 16.2 warmblood with size 2 feet.

And finally, is it uncommon to have a horse get a bulb injury WHILE WEARING bell boots? I'm wondering if this was a product failure (maybe he managed to slip his back hoof under the boot) or if the rubber bell boot just reduced the trauma. This was a slice that left a small skin flap -- could have been a lot worse.

Beval bell boots are the only things in our barn.

What kind of injury? Don't know many injuries that require 6 months stall rest but then allow lunging. Generally I'd recommend increasing your ace dosage to settle the horse so he isn't re-injuring himself. The fresh off stall rest the tendons/ligaments are weak and need time to strengthen themselves. I'm not sure a very load bearing exercise, like lunging, is the best idea in general. I'd stick with ace then riding and/or controlled turnout.
    "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."

Default injury history

At age 3, horse got bone infection from abscess or stone bruise (not sure), surgery in July 2009 (radical resection through sole of foot, excise infection tract up to coronary band). Stall rest/glue-ons /hospital plate until Jan. In Jan he is slowly returned to turnout an/or light lungeing on ace. This shoeing cycle he got regular shoes and vet said he's ready to go back to work.

I've used Xylazine and or Ace for months while he was confined, and again for turnout and our first light lungeing sessions. He's not a total nutcase on the lunge, but he is excited, and weak enuf that he's not controlling where his feet go. I was hoping to move away from sedation...

As for riding, he was backed a few times in Spring 2009, but he's not yet a riding horse.

I just can't believe he injured himself THROUGH the bellboot like this. Do people ever double-boot bellboots?

Quote Originally Posted by staceyk View Post
    At age 3, horse got bone infection from abscess or stone bruise (not sure), surgery in July 2009 (radical resection through sole of foot, excise infection tract up to coronary band). Stall rest/glue-ons /hospital plate until Jan. In Jan he is slowly returned to turnout an/or light lungeing on ace. This shoeing cycle he got regular shoes and vet said he's ready to go back to work.

I've used Xylazine and or Ace for months while he was confined, and again for turnout and our first light lungeing sessions. He's not a total nutcase on the lunge, but he is excited, and weak enuf that he's not controlling where his feet go. I was hoping to move away from sedation...

As for riding, he was backed a few times in Spring 2009, but he's not yet a riding horse.

I just can't believe he injured himself THROUGH the bellboot like this. Do people ever double-boot bellboots?

YES people run the upper levels of eventing cross country like this all of the time. But its more for the possibility of pulling one off than getting through them...
    http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...7/PIC_0491.jpg
    Live, Cherish, and Enjoy every moment.

Quote Originally Posted by staceyk View Post
    I went to Horseman's outlet and bought the Pro Choice Quickwrap boots -- Riley seems to go through bell boots (regular rubber) at a rate of one pair every 2 weeks, so maybe these'll hold up.

Grataan, I was leaning toward the Pro Choices you recommended, but they looked REALLY small and the biggest size was a medium. Do you have a size recommendation or can you tell me if they do indeed run small? Riley is a 16.2 warmblood with size 2 feet.

And finally, is it uncommon to have a horse get a bulb injury WHILE WEARING bell boots? I'm wondering if this was a product failure (maybe he managed to slip his back hoof under the boot) or if the rubber bell boot just reduced the trauma. This was a slice that left a small skin flap -- could have been a lot worse.
    Oh they come in bigger-I think I have some Ls and Xls (we use them on the western and english horses in the barn)

I feel like they size pretty true. Treasure has huge feet for an Arabian - he takes in between a med and large (16hh true with stick) so when he is working hard he wears mediums but just hanging out he lives in larges.

I just released him from restricted turnout AGAIN because he attempted to remove part of his heel-a horse can absolutely injure themselves with bells on-I'm just greatful that Treasure had the boots on-he was running so hard even with boots that he bruised his entire heel purple and cut a small flap.

Such is the joy of a racebred stallion lol. Now I need to find an hour between appointments today to go search our outdoor roping arena for his latest pair of boots that he felt the need to remove last night while turned out.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.