The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Chief2 View Post
    A horse I took in for rehoming needs to have a front lower incisor removed in the near future. We are looking at a few thousand dollars to get that one tooth removed. Without general anesthesia. Floats usually cost about $75, with manual tools.

Chief2, who is doing the extraction? Lizzy had 2 teeth pulled last year by Dr Barrett from Salem Vet and it was only about $1,000.

As for floating, I use an equine dentist who charges me $85. Manual float, and no sedation needed. I actually just switched to a new dentist this year due to problem with my old dentist not showing up and while she is a bit more expensive (10 dollars more) it is worth every penny to have someone reliable who show up when they say they will!!!
    Last edited by LoriO; Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Forgot to add floating info
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

Connecticut Equine Clinic, Scott Sears. The horse in question is a draft horse. Big tooth, deep roots. Believe it or not, it is still in there tight as a tick and he is still doing fine. We get it vet checked every six months and we are still waiting for it to loosen! I figured it would have been gone by now! Thanks for letting me know about Salem Vet. I'll keep it in mind, as well.

By the way, floats are now $85.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Well I just paid a float bill of that was bigger tham my monthly mortgage, but I own 18 horses. Not all of them were done because my vet only floats when needed and doesn't charge for checking the ones that don't. We just keep rotating the dental "patients" in and out of 3 stalls so that my vet just moves along. I am not sure how the man's arm stays on because he does it manually. Cost is usually $100 per horse including sedation.

I consider floating one of those maintenance MUSTS for horses along with vaccinations, worming, and trimming hooves. It's the baseline of care and even though I hate writing that big float check, it's not something I will skip.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com