The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Story About ASB Broker Owned Horse Saved (AC4H)

This is the Palomino ASB gelding: http://www.examiner.com/x-25445-West...l-this-article

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

He's handsome. I am glad he is on his way to a new home.
    Dreaming in Color

Wonderful!
    Free bar.ka and tidy rabbit.

If AC4H had not posted him on their website no one would have known his fate; lost to a dinner plate. This is why AC4H goes to the brokers takes pictures/video of the horses to give them a second chance before they get on the meat trucks. He was bought to fill a truck; not to sell but for being listed by AC4H he would have been on that truck. I would never have found my Paso Fino mare w/papers if AC4H had not listed her on their website. I bought her from the broker last October with AC4H's help. She is the best little horse. I had been looking for over 6 months for a Paso Fino since I cannot ride trotting horses any longer due to my RA. With purchase price, vetting, QT and transport she still cost less than the horses in those 6 months I had looked at that were advertised for sale. I know there is a big debate about listing broker owned horses but I start a new thread each week not to promote the brokers or AC4H but to help the horses; no other reason. So many nice horses have been bought from the brokers and they do barter.

Yes, it should be all about the horses. Quite a few horses have been recovered by their owners through the broker pages over the past few years and just this past week a gal recognised a buckskin we had listed on there and she wrote to us explaining who he was and what a wonderful horse he had been. He was purchased by a really nice person who can't wait to get him home, and we've linked her up with this girl so his history can be learned.

Last Monday we vetted 24 broker horses and sent them on to new homes. This week we found homes for every single horse listed on the broker pages; I'm not sure yet what the count is but it has to be close to 20. These horses would be dead by now had we not been running the broker program. We don't do it for the brokers, we don't do it for anything except to give those innocent animals "another chance".

Sue
    ac4h.com
    The horse I bet on was so slow, the jockey kept a diary of the trip.
    Henny Youngman

So far, I have clicked over these threads. Can I have a 'Coles Notes' thumbnail sketch version of broker owned horses/AC4h. Who they are and what they do?
    What is the controversy?

The home page of AC4H you can read all about everything they do http://www.ac4h.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    So far, I have clicked over these threads. Can I have a 'Coles Notes' thumbnail sketch version of broker owned horses/AC4h. Who they are and what they do?
    What is the controversy?
    People who don't care/starve/beat or otherwise mistreat horses sell them at auction or sell/give them to a low-end horse broker. ac4h and other rescues take pictures of the horses and list them to get a broader market. Many people don't like the fact that the horses are for sale, and are posted here. It is an outright purchase, and the brokers are making money through a horse rescue and horse BBs.

Meanwhile, people who care about horses and try to help them are left high and dry when trying to rehome them or getting help from the rescues. The smart thing to do is starve them, let their feet get long and send them to a broker or New Holland where the rescues will "save" them.

Quote Originally Posted by FancyASB View Post
    If AC4H had not posted him on their website no one would have known his fate...
    Yep, he was one of the lucky ones. Nice to read happy endings like that. Thanks for that update!
    Equus Keepus Brokus

I'm glad this horse found a home, and I congratulate those who work so hard to help these animals.

But I have a question for the OP: Why are so many Saddlebreds ending up on the AC4H website? Or are they just the ones that are picked out and featured here on Chron?
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

Amish dump the used up ASB's when they can't do 20 miles a day. PA is Amish country same with the drafts when they can't plow anymore. I have two used up Amish ASB buggy horses that went through New Holland. Ugly ankles but sound, super safe trail horses, been there done that kind of horses. This gelding had not been with the Amish he had gone through I think two auctions in two weeks and ended up with this broker. He was purchased to fill a meat truck but AC4H listed him on their website and he found a home. Amazing his papers followed him. My one mare her papers followed her even after being on the road for 7 years. When I post the weekly broker owned horses they are all listed. Just thought it was nice this horse had a story done about his life being saved so I started his own thread.

Quote Originally Posted by chaltagor View Post
    Meanwhile, people who care about horses and try to help them are left high and dry when trying to rehome them or getting help from the rescues. The smart thing to do is starve them, let their feet get long and send them to a broker or New Holland where the rescues will "save" them.
    Chalt, this is not entirely true, at least not at AC4H. We help ALL horses in need, not just broker horses. If you look at the website, there are various ways explained where we help. I sit side by side with Christy in the office several days a week doing paperwork and returning phone calls, and often some of those calls are from people calling us who can no longer keep their horse. We try very hard to help those folks, and offer a $0 fee consignment page as well. We can't save them all, no rescue can, but we try very hard to be there for any horse so it DOESN'T end up at the auction or a broker lot. Sadly, we only have so much room and so much funding, but we're pro-active in helping.
    Sue
    ac4h.com
    Henny Youngman

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Aria View Post
    Chalt, this is not entirely true, at least not at AC4H. We help ALL horses in need, not just broker horses.
    Yes, a horse abandoned at my barn that I started feeding is on ac4h's free page. Thanks for that. Another boarder at my barn neglected her horse, gave him to the broker and the horse later turned up at ac4h, "saved." AFTER I inquired about ac4h taking on the abandoned horse I now care for. So I'm a little bitter about doing the right thing and facing euthing a healthy horse while a jerk dumps her horse and the broker makes money on it, and everyone gets back slaps and feels great about "bailing out" a doomed horse.

^ I'm totally with you on your sentiments and I'll never "get" why COTH allows broker horses to be freely and widely advertised whilst preventing others selling horses.

Quote Originally Posted by chaltagor View Post
    Yes, a horse abandoned at my barn that I started feeding is on ac4h's free page. Thanks for that. Another boarder at my barn neglected her horse, gave him to the broker and the horse later turned up at ac4h, "saved." AFTER I inquired about ac4h taking on the abandoned horse I now care for. So I'm a little bitter about doing the right thing and facing euthing a healthy horse while a jerk dumps her horse and the broker makes money on it, and everyone gets back slaps and feels great about "bailing out" a doomed horse.
    AC4H is not responsible for some boarder sending her horse off to a broker, but we certainly helped try to save that horse's life by listing him on the pages. And the issue between you and the horse you keep saying you're going to euthanize has been addressed before privately. Not sure why you're so bitter but that's up to you.

And Thomas, there is no 'advertising' done on here of broker horses, certainly our rescue never actively comes on here and promotes them, we have our own group and FB page. We have no control over what others do, however. I'm sorry working to save a life isn't important to you but that's certainly your option, too.

Sue
    ac4h.com
    Henny Youngman

It is not just Saddlebreds that turn up on AC4H website. Many other breeds including Standardbreds, Thoroughbreds right off the track, ponies, Morgans, QH and more all are represented.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Aria View Post
    And Thomas, there is no 'advertising' done on here of broker horses, certainly our rescue never actively comes on here and promotes them, we have our own group and FB page. We have no control over what others do, however. I'm sorry working to save a life isn't important to you but that's certainly your option, too.

Sue
    ac4h.com
    You may not put these horses up, but FancyASB advertises for the brokers and for the Camelot Auction, helping them get money for the horses and bringing business in.

As far as chaltagor's situation goes, I have had a similar experience with AC4H and other rescues when I acquired a horse who was sound for light riding only. Don't worry, I did hold up to 'my word'' and he is currently wormfood.

This is what frustrates people. People like me, who know they are running low on funds, pick up a stray horse and try to get help in finding a home for said healthy, well taken care of horse. We get 'sorry, no room at the inn'. A week later, said rescue is taking in a half starved horse that cost tons of money in vet bills.

All the broker owned horses and Camelot advertisements do is put money into the hands of the sellers. If the seller did not have that extra outlet and HAD to ship the horses to slaughter to make money, chances are they would be out of business. You know those prices are 5 times as much as they would profit from the slaughter house.