The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Poisonous to Cows?

Our property backs on to my neighbour's cow field, convinently where my veggie garden is also located (good fences make good neighbours ).

I would like to make sure I don't accidentally poison any of his cows if they do come near the fence to browse. So I keep things like tomato plants away from the fence (not sure if they are actually poisonous to the cows, but I do anyway).

I know those 4 stomachs are a little strong then our ponies - but what (that I might grow) could be poisonous to the bovines?

Tx!
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

Most everything that's not good for us (like the plant parts of solanum plants, tomatoes, peppers etc) is not good for animals either.

best thing would maybe be a row of rasp- or black berries along the fence...I think beans would be ok...but you can just put a sacrifice strip down along the fence, 2 or 3 feet, and put pretty stuff in there, like sunflowers and other blooming things which also helps your garden out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/in.../bc/212703.htm

Unfortunately, most of what is listed are weeds - but onions are on there.

Read thru the list again (click on the link for the chart) - looks like (among the things you might plant!) you also want to avoid mustard greens and peaches.
    Last edited by Ben and Me; Feb. 19, 2010 at 07:14 PM.

You're not likely to grow ragwort but don't

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_1 View Post
    You're not likely to grow ragwort but don't
    Don't bank on that Thomas! I had an argument with a woman last year who was growing it in planters. I had to show her proof that it was toxic before she was willing to get rid of it.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post
    Don't bank on that Thomas! I had an argument with a woman last year who was growing it in planters. I had to show her proof that it was toxic before she was willing to get rid of it.

ROFLMAO!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

LOL...just had to comment that I read the title too fast and had to open it...was worried there was a herd of poisonous cows rampaging around somewhere.
    Nes, it's to see someone worried for their neighbor's animals.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    ROFLMAO!!!
    Yeah, I know! Floored me

She was like 'But it's so pretty... and it smells so nice...'

Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post
    Yeah, I know! Floored me

She was like 'But it's so pretty... and it smells so nice...'
    You're probably not old enough to remember when the Highways Departments planted it at the sides of motorways with their mixed wild flower seeds as part of an initiative to make it all look pretty and provide a habitat for wildlife.

It's one of the main reasons why the UK has so damned much of the stuff now and why farmers are constantly fighting the battle to keep it off their pastures !

As you'll probably know it's a controllable weed here and so farmers have an obligation to get shut of it.

You try phoning a highway department and telling them to spray and rip out ragwort on their land. NOT A CHANCE!!!

You're probably not old enough to remember when the Highways Departments planted it at the sides of motorways with their mixed wild flower seeds as part of an initiative to make it all look pretty and provide a habitat for wildlife.
    Nope, I'm not old enough, but I can believe that. Sounds about right for our country.

It's one of the main reasons why the UK has so damned much of the stuff now and why farmers are constantly fighting the battle to keep it off their pastures !

As you'll probably know it's a controllable weed here and so farmers have an obligation to get shut of it.
    Yep, it's a constant battle against the damned stuff. It grows everywhere. I've even seen it growing on a very exposed beach.

You try phoning a highway department and telling them to spray and rip out ragwort on their land. NOT A CHANCE!!!
    Been there, done that. The verges on part of the A19 were covered in the stuff. I got really sick of seeing it every day when I was going to and from work. Took me three phone calls to speak to someone who knew what it was. I gave up in the end and contacted Defra.

It was the A1 and the A19 where I first remembered it planted. I farmed near Thirsk and had a stud farm near Malton too then.

Must be 40 years ago now and the stuff is still there!

It was the A1 and the A19 where I first remembered it planted. I farmed near Thirsk and had a stud farm near Malton too then.

Must be 40 years ago now and the stuff is still there!
    I think it would keep going if the world ended. It'd be ragwort, rats and cockroaches left.

The stuff I reported was near Thirsk. Small world, eh?