The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Body Clipped Horse

I body clipped my horse right at the end of October last year and I only decided to do her once. All the other horses at our barn, who arent body clipped, are shedding again, bad! But she isnt shedding one bit. She doesnt have her normal thick winter coat bit did grow hair back. Im wondering, do I need to body clip her again? Or will she eventually shed? I dont want her to get too hot when spring comes around and we start showing again in March.

She will shed. The clipping really should have nothing to do with it. They all start shedding depending on daylight hours, some faster than others. I would bet she's always been slower to start but you've never really noticed it before. Usually the ones that start later blow their coats pretty fast.
    Do not toy with the dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

be glad you dont have a pinto. His white hairs shed first, then his bay markings go.....slowly. Its like having two sheddings each season.

Or she could be like my son's pony who is a total fur ball, almost like a Thelwell pony except that we can usually tell his head from his tail, and who has already started shedding like crazy and will continue shedding for the next three months. It gets so bad that you have to take off all your barn clothes in the mud room as soon as you walk in the door as my husband is particularly grossed out by horse hair. Did I mention that the pony is white?

Oh, and he usually starts getting his winter fuzzies by around the 1st of September, and yes we did test him for Cushing's.

ok great, thanks everyone! and oh my gosh i bet that is a site to see with your pinto! and another horse i ride, who is grey but become very white, is shedding and i get covered with white hairs so i know the feeling!

EAY, I have one like that who is 16 hands... his hair is 3" long.

I feel like I should be coughing up hairballs by the time I get in the house.

She'll shed. Just be patient. If you want to encourage the shedding add oil - flax or rice brain - to her diet to speed it up.
    "If ever I did not have a horse or dog in my keeping, I should feel I had lost touch with the earth." ~Beryl Markham