The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What do you think of this Holsteiner?

I want something for strictly hunters. I'd probably only be starting out showing at 2'6'' 2'9''. I like him, but is he a bit long--backed? How detrimental is that? Do you think he is an athletic horse or 'too big' for himself? I need experienced opinions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziTC4ReDe-8

I think he could stand to lose a few pounds

Ok first glance this is what i saw.

Def needs to lose some weight

Video doesn't give him much help

Has an okay trot

Don't love his canter

Rider didn't really help

Did i mention the video is horrible?

Wasn't impressed with his jump, but none of the jumps were substantial, and again, he didn't get the greatest ride

Personally, I'd keep shopping. If hes around the corner, maybe give him a chance in person... I hate to crucify a horse, especially off such a poor video, but there was nothing they showcased that made ME wanna give him a second look. Even the pic at the beginning and end of the vid is horrible
    www.millcreekfarm.net
    **RIP Kickstart aka Char 12/2/2009**

I would like to see him engage underneath behind better and lift his back with his stomach muscles - then I wouldn't care so much about the long back. Maybe good strength-building etc. would get him there. It would depend on the price for me. Also a horse like this would tend to look better over bigger jumps. for the hunters, it will be so little effort on his part to get over 2.6-2.9 that I suspect he may not be very round or tight in front. Now, 4 ft hunters if he can get strong enough may be quite another thing. He could be quite lovely and expressive.

I agree I can't stand the video and they're jumping in a dressage saddle and riding in a full seat which doesn't help his cause any. They definitely didn't market him well- which I am trying to over look that and see the horse, not the shitty marketing.

This is when they were selling him as a Dressage horse- the ad I saw he was listed as more of a hunter. His price is not 30k, it's 15k now. If it gives anyone a different prospective. http://www.warmbloods-for-sale.com/H...42&UserID=7043

He looks HUGE in the photos, but much smaller in the video....that rider must have been a giant!

I personally think hes pretty cute. For $15,000 he looks like with a little polishing he could make a nice hunter! Id go see him in person to see him jump with a h/j rider, see if he actually would round and tuck up his knees with consisent distances. I think if he's safe, honest and has a nice personality, for a 2'6-2'9 hunter you dont need to get any fancier than him!!

Thumbs down sorry, can't download

sorry, can't get it to download, but, promise to look at it tomorrow and post after
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Default Hunter prospect

The first two positive thoughts that came to me when watching the video is that he is good looking through the head and neck and he carries himself (and jumps) in a really nice hunter type headset naturally. They had a running martingale on him which is not permissable in the hunter ring but it looked like he never came up against it. He is a steady eddy type for sure which is very desireable at the local and lower levels.
    The major concern is that his hind end is weak and he travels with his hocks out behind him and he will need to learn to rock back at the tighter distance and not jump over his shoulder. The question is does he hurt back there? Or does he need lots of training or most likely both. I saw only one flying lead change.
    He clearly is not going to make it as a dressage horse so they are giving him a career change which is fine but they will need to be very realistic on the price. A jumping show horse has to do both lead changes easily. I am also guessing that he has no real show mileage which is a big pricing factor.
    If he has no major catastrophy going on in his hocks than I would give him a second look (spend only what you can afford to lose) for what you want to do. He looks like he will like that job and with a sharp Trainer you can get him jumping alot better.

gotta love it. I always say they are 2 years older and 2 inches shorter then advertised...this one is registered(so they say) so age should be correct. BUT the Dressage ad clearly states he measures 17.1.

You know, I don't hate him. For 15k anyway (I'd offer 12,500). But he does not scream Hunter for me...and whoever wanted more engagement behind on this one? He can't with that back end. Very straight hip angle and that is not something you can fix. Not going to be easy for him to push off behind and hold a nice shape over a fence. Too much strain on hocks and back if you ask for him to do that too often.

I fear he is a little lacking in step as well. Does not seem to track up at all and that would be consistent with that too straight hip, set back hocks and long back. He's not going to find it easy to make the lines in major competition. Simply not a good choice for a long serious Hunter career over anything substantial size wise. He's not going to be able to do it IMO.

On the other hand, he is decent typewise and fairly priced. If he is less then an hour or so away and your goals are modest, you might want to go look. Certainly not the worst we have ever looked at on here.

Two yellow lights on him though. Big one is left hind at the trot. Seems to sort of hitch and move shorter then the right hind. More obvious turning right. Could be a soundness problem already in back-or bad riding, bad ground and/or bad shoeing.

Other is that statement he is registered. Make sure they actually HAVE THE PAPERS in hand at that moment. No BS about not getting them, losing them or old owner/trainer still has them. Because if they don't actually have them, he probably is also two years older, at least.

I usually don't see much I like in these threads. And there are certainly problems with this one. Yet...intriguing. But I would not say that if I knew you wanted to go AA with him at 3'. May be OK lower and more local assuming he is sound-which is a question mark.

If you go look, take somebody with you, like your trainer. That 50% reduction is asking price raises questions and you need a keen eye to properly evaluate this one in person.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Thanks everyone! I think I am going to pass on this one.. It doesn't seem like he's what I want. Too many what-if's, and plenty others to chose from!

It's always good to get an experience opinion on conformation too- I could tell that 'something' wasn't right with his back end, but just couldn't figure it out.. Blegh!

Live and learn...and COTH can let you do it cheaply.

When you are on a budget looking for a show Hunter, sometimes you have to turn over some rocks and look underneath. Everybody has things they can live with and draws the line at others.

Be clear on what you will and won't accept before you go look.

BTW, I wouldn't go for this one either but he may suit somebody else.

Exactly. He'd probably make a good lower level man's horse- he's mammoth.

And yes, horse shopping on a budget sucks! trying to find the diamond in the rough or the a great horse that somebody doesn't know what they really have.

I think he looks like he'd make a great gentleman's field hunter. But a long-lasting, pinning adult show hunter? Eh, not so much...
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

Something I don't understand is that there are lots of "ok" registered TB hunters out there for around $5,000. What would make this horse worth more than that? Is just being a WB enough to do it? If so, why?

Quote Originally Posted by wanabe View Post
    Something I don't understand is that there are lots of "ok" registered TB hunters out there for around $5,000. What would make this horse worth more than that? Is just being a WB enough to do it? If so, why?
    Oh, he is still a bit overpriced considering some of the questions. But he appears to have some decent training on him, seems quiet enough and can obviously take a joke rider wise. That would make him price up a little.

He is attractive, has a decent jump. A TB that is just overall OK but attractive and rideable with a decent jump would price in the same range as this WB.

You cannot make any comparisons between a specific WB video and the general "OK TB Hunters out there for 5k" without seeing at least a video for comparison anyway.

Okay, well if you (and anyone else) wouldn't mind looking, Fuelish Annie is Dreamhorse #1374983 and there's video of her there (sorry, I don't know how to point to a specific horse in Dreamhorse).

Her resume:

Fuelish Annie's priced has been greatly reduced again for a quick sale! I have to many horses! Fuelish Annie was the 2008 IHJA Childrens Mini Medal and IHJA Reserve Champion Low Hunter. Fuelish Annie is a very consistent 3 foot hunter and equitation horse for Children and Adults. Annie in 2009 will be competing in the 3'6" first year hunters and Childrens hunter and medal until sold. Fuelish Annie is Life Time USEF and USHJA registered; as well as registered in the Silver Stirrup. Annie is a good mover and well schooled on the flat for the equitation divisions and beautiful jumper. Annie is getting her flying lead changes and do the counter canter work for the equitation classes. Annie for the last month has been schholing 3'6" equitation courses with a junior rider. She is getting ready for the 2010 show season. To see more Fuelish Annie jumping video go on www.youtube.com and type in Fuelish Annie Please contact Ingrid Schoenlein at 765-586-1952 or email schoenle@purdue.edu or Nora Anne Rushing at 502-744-8434 if you are interested.

Price: $5,000

Quote Originally Posted by wanabe View Post
    Okay, well if you (and anyone else) wouldn't mind looking, Fuelish Annie is Dreamhorse #1374983 and there's video of her there (sorry, I don't know how to point to a specific horse in Dreamhorse).

Her resume:

Fuelish Annie's priced has been greatly reduced again for a quick sale! I have to many horses! Fuelish Annie was the 2008 IHJA Childrens Mini Medal and IHJA Reserve Champion Low Hunter. Fuelish Annie is a very consistent 3 foot hunter and equitation horse for Children and Adults. Annie in 2009 will be competing in the 3'6" first year hunters and Childrens hunter and medal until sold. Fuelish Annie is Life Time USEF and USHJA registered; as well as registered in the Silver Stirrup. Annie is a good mover and well schooled on the flat for the equitation divisions and beautiful jumper. Annie is getting her flying lead changes and do the counter canter work for the equitation classes. Annie for the last month has been schholing 3'6" equitation courses with a junior rider. She is getting ready for the 2010 show season. To see more Fuelish Annie jumping video go on www.youtube.com and type in Fuelish Annie Please contact Ingrid Schoenlein at 765-586-1952 or email schoenle@purdue.edu or Nora Anne Rushing at 502-744-8434 if you are interested.

Price: $5,000
    Oh be careful- Mod's delete posts and some people can be banned for posting specific horses on BB's.

Thanks for the warning. But didn't you do that? What is the difference? Do you mean they don't want the DH ID number included?