The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default It's the simple things...

Today, I had some extra money in my pocket, so I went to the local Wilco and bought my years supply of wormer. (I always buy it on sale, and only have to pay $4/$5 per tube) and a brick of salt, some coat supplement(mustang coat) and a bag of grain. Now that my girl is a bit older, (12 this year) and I'm training pretty much on a daily basis, I'm going to start her on grain now. It's the maintenance one, since she is a SUPER easy keeper.

I absolutely can't WAIT to get to the barn with her 'groceries'.

It's the simple things that excite me. What about you?

I had an amazing ride on Ojibwa tonight. Round, impulsive, animated. She was a bit stiff going to the left, but we sort of worked through it by exercises. I worked on transitions within the gaits, and simple transitions. I'm very pleased with her.

I learned some massage techniques from the BO and my girl will be getting a well deserved day off with some massage.

The little fellow I'm training for a client is doing wonderful as well. I had the best ride on him to date. Considering he came to me with ZERO respect for personal space, always looking for monsters, and generally being a horrible nuisance that nobody really liked at all. He is turning into a well mannered little gentleman. I'm pleased.

It's the little things...

Default My cat and the stars

At the end of my night, I like to sit on the patio bench and look at the stars with Jack my cat. I bury my nose in his coat and smell his clean cat smell.

He likes to look at the rustling in the bushes.

We've had a week of sunny, warm, glorious California winter weather here. I love the rain too. It is so dry here in the summer, that I look forward to the rain with glee!! Rain is forecast for this weekend. I hope so!

Default It's A Wonderful Life !

Yes, simple things like a new load of brome delivered and stacked ..ALWAYS the end of the day sitting with my barn cats giving them "beauty treatments"= brushing after their Fancy Feast dinner & of course enjoying the horses and ponies settling down & into their hay. In spite of all the equipment failures and MUD or SNOW and ICE ~LIFE IS GOOD ! Acutally "It's A Wonderful Life !"
    Last edited by Zu Zu; Feb. 19, 2010 at 08:26 AM. Reason: punctuation
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

For me it's the smell of the first cutting of hay, my dad and son make and sell hay so its like the start of a new year for me. I love to hear the tractors in the field I love the SMELL of fresh hay, I love the look of satisfaction on my Dad's and son's faces at the end of a long ( usually hot) day as they drink a cold soda and beer.
    Or the love in my daughters eyes as she walks into the barn, this is HER place, her ponies know and love her and they don't judge, they just snuggle her and wait as she grooms them and gets them ready to ride. The sheer JOY on her face as she jumps a fence and gets a perfect spot.
    For me its not about me its about the people in my life who I love and work hard to make happy, when that is accomplished all is good with the world!
    Kim
    If you are lucky enough to ride, you are lucky enough.

For me, it was going to the barn everyday and giving my guy a good grooming...Healthy Hair in his mane/tail, a good curry & brush, cleaning his feet and applying his hoof oil...all followed by peppermints & oatmeal cookies to his delight....just to turn him back out in his pasture to continue on with retirement. He died almost 2 weeks ago, and I now just realize how much that quick 15 minutes every night meant to me.

The other simple thing that excited me was SmartPak's free shipping code, lol.
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

I always like feeding the horses and sitting back and listening to them all happily munching.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.