The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Vega Jump saddle - or help me find a saddle please!

What are your experiences with it?

Do they hold their resale value?

Do they tend to fit a wide variety of horses?

I'm currently half leasing a horse and need a bigger saddle for myself than what I currently own (I've had it for 15 years) or what his owner rides in. I love her saddle (Childeric) but it is out of my price range. I'm thinking I could wait to find the perfect one in used or try the Vega.

I sat in a new Vega at our local store and liked it. I can find a demo one for a great price.

I am long hip to knee so finding something that has forward enough flaps is a challenge.

The horse I'm half leasing has unique conformation, that I likely won't buy (just b/c not many are built like him). I don't really want to buy a saddle JUST for him since who knows how long the half lease will last. Whatever I buy though, I want to make sure it keeps its value so that I can resell it later on down the road if it doesn't fit whatever I end up buying.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Lion1024 View Post
    What are your experiences with it?

Do they hold their resale value?

Do they tend to fit a wide variety of horses?

I'm currently half leasing a horse and need a bigger saddle for myself than what I currently own (I've had it for 15 years) or what his owner rides in. I love her saddle (Childeric) but it is out of my price range. I'm thinking I could wait to find the perfect one in used or try the Vega.

I sat in a new Vega at our local store and liked it. I can find a demo one for a great price.

I am long hip to knee so finding something that has forward enough flaps is a challenge.

The horse I'm half leasing has unique conformation, that I likely won't buy (just b/c not many are built like him). I don't really want to buy a saddle JUST for him since who knows how long the half lease will last. Whatever I buy though, I want to make sure it keeps its value so that I can resell it later on down the road if it doesn't fit whatever I end up buying.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    Yes. Yes. and Yes.

If your horse is hard to fit, like you mention in your post, I recommend going with an Amerigo (more of a custom saddle for the harder to fit horse--each style is for a different type of horse). Amerigo makes Vegas....

I have posted about these saddles before, but just to make clear I am not a rep nor do I work for this company. I just really believe in their saddles. My horse is a very hard to fit case and we switched from a Devoucoux to a Butet to an Antares...the story goes on and on.....finally an Amerigo. My guy has the nicest topline ever because he can now move PROPERLY!! If you have questions you should call World Equestrian Brands. They are the distributors of Amerigo and Vegas and are VERY helpful with helping you fit your horse CORRECTLY! 1-888-6EQUINE.

Good Luck!!

FYI here is a good deal on a Childeric. It's located in Ontario, but just in case you are interested...

http://www.equiman.com/forums/ubbthr...279#Post260279
    Proud Member of the "Tidy Rabbit Tinfoil Hat Wearers" clique and the "I'm in my 20's and Hope to be a Good Rider Someday" clique

That is a really good deal. Unfortunately, I need a forward flap like a 3A, but thank you!

What type of build does your horse have? That may help generate suggestions?
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

I really liked mine, just wish the flap was a little more forward. Fit my two TB's well and was comfortable from day one. I had it for two years until I had to stop riding. I can't remember what I got for it but I sold it on ebay with a nice half pad and stirrup leathers and irons and got a very good price. Can't say you would have the same luck on ebay now though.
    Five Star Tack

Ditto sar2008. LOVE my Amerigo. Have had a Devoucoux, 2 County saddles (ick, ick), and an Antares, but finally ended up with my Amerigo. Finally have a saddle that fits my horse and me!!
    Become a Posse and help keep kids on horses and off the streets.
    http://www.comptonjrposse.org/