The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Old Friends in Saratogs - newspaper article with pictures.

Another local paper, The Times Union, does a story on Old Friends here in Saratoga. It has some pictures as well. It's nice that it's getting publicity.

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories...010&TextPage=1

Very nice article (and farm). And yes, the publicity and recognition is terrific.

Thanks for posting this.

Thanks for sharing!!! We are already making plans to head out to NY for the Grand Opening. So exciting
    -Jessica

Can't wait to see you there, Jess. Lorita, I and 2 other of my friends are booked at the Marriot, if Lorita hasn't already told already.
    DAILY THOUGHT:

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Quote Originally Posted by spooky01 View Post
    Can't wait to see you there, Jess. Lorita, I and 2 other of my friends are booked at the Marriot, if Lorita hasn't already told already.
    I can't wait either! No, she hadn't mentioned it... so I should be getting a room there for Joel and I too then?
    -Jessica

when is it? i live in town, it would be a shame if i couldn't get off my duff to make it there.

I'm here 'outside' of town. Maybe we could have a CoTH get together. It would be great fun!

does anyone know the updates on the horses from finger lakes that COTH members/breeding farms raised funds for; for them to go to the saratoga old friends farm?? i remember it was a big deal to get two of them in there.

Default After the Finish Line

After the Finish Line recently awarded Oklahoma Thoroughbred Retirement Program funding to sponsor Watchem Smokey, a Bobby Frankel trained Thoroughbred. We then made contact with Old Friends, who accepted Smokey to their Saratoga facility. The snowy weather is currently delaying his trip to Old Friends. You will be able to see Smokey this summer.

The funding provided by After the Finish Line will be used to sponsor Smokey until he leaves Oklahoma and pay for his transportation. The balance will be used to rescue another Oklahoma bred horse at Penn National

Here are two paragraphs from After the Finish Line's February newsletter. You can go to our website and click on ATFL News to see Smokey's pictures.

February emergency funds were awarded to Oklahoma Thoroughbred Retirement Program for Watchem Smokey. He raced for 8 years and earned $513k. Smokey won his first six races at Louisiana Downs with owner/trainer Cecil Borel (Calvin Borel’s brother). He was among the best young sprinters at the time and was purchased by Bobby Frankel who brought him to California. Smokey fell in a stakes race at Santa Anita because he was unable to avoid a fallen horse. He returned to racing after rehab but was never the same horse. He was claimed for $100k at Keeneland and then dropped to smaller stakes, allowance and finally claiming races. His career ended in a $4k claimer at Remington Park. Smokey was vanned off the track with a suspensory injury and was going to be euthanized. OTRP agreed to rehab and retire him. His owners pledge to support him never materialized. This classy 10 yo was ridden by Kent Desormeaux, Victor Espinoza, Edgar Prado and Julie Krone.

A friend of After the Finish Line contacted Old Friends – The Bobby Frankel Division in New York. Michael Blowen agreed to retire Watchem Smokey, a Bobby Frankel trained horse, at this facility. He will be leaving Oklahoma for his forever home when the weather is safe to travel.

Dawn Mellen, President/Founder
    After the Finish Line
    10153 Riverside Drive
    Toluca Lake, CA 91602
    www.afterthefinishline.org
    dawn@afterthefinishline.org

Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl88 View Post
    does anyone know the updates on the horses from finger lakes that COTH members/breeding farms raised funds for; for them to go to the saratoga old friends farm?? i remember it was a big deal to get two of them in there.

I talked to JoAnn Pepper and a photographer whose name escapes me at the moment at a recent fundraiser for Cabin Creek and they said both Midnight and KP are doing well. KP's leg is coming along nicely (he had the injury w/ cellulitis). I saw some photographs of both and I will tell you that KP is the most beautiful horse!!! He takes stunning pictures. I haven't been over yet as their visiting hours are 1-3 on Sats and it seems I'm always busy at that time. But I'm hopeful that very soon I'll get over to see the horses.