The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default QH/Paint peeps - talk to me about buying/selling HYPP positive horses

I'm from the warmblood world and don't know much about the stock breed world. Long story short, I own a fairly nice little Paint mare who has Impressive as a grandsire. I bought her for a song on a whim, as she had obviously had some nice training in the past and her owners were desperate to sell her. Had her tested and she's HYPP N/H. She is a resale horse for me, and I'm selling her for pretty cheap considering full siblings have gotten multiple world and national championships in western pleasure, which I know nothing about. She's never shown any symptoms but I've only had her for a short time - have talked to previous owners and they said she hasn't shown symptoms with them. So my question is, will people even buy a N/H horse? If I'd known ahead of time, I wouldn't have bought her. I'm only wanting $1,500, it's not like she's a 20k horse...what are my chances of selling her for that (assuming she's priced well otherwise)? Do I need to cut my losses now and pretty much give her away, or will people pay something for an N/H horse? Thanks for any advice/info!
    Oh, and should I be feeding her in some specific way right now?

I personally will not buy an N/H horse. Even though she has not shown signs, that does not mean she will not in the future. The only people that take chances with positive HYPP horses are the halter horse people. I know AQHA is going to not accept positive horses for registration soon, cannot remember what year. Not sure about the paint horse registrys position on that. But due to that she would not be considered a broodmare prospect most likely (as well as I think it's worng to breed an N/H horse). You should contact your veterinarian as yes, there are things she should and should not eat.

I've been reading up on feeding, luckily it seems what she's currently eating isn't bad, I will probably tweak some things though. Thanks.

Appy person (they too can be HYPP positive) and I would not buy a N/H horse.

Too much of a risk.

I own a hypp n/h QH. He too is 9 years old and has never shown any signs. I tested him after I purchased him and found out.

I think you will be fine for that price. The fair thing to do (for the horse and the buyer) is to disclose. Yes there are management issues to take into consideration including feed. No red mineral blocks.

I would put the info out there (ads, flyers, etc). Some people flat out will not own one. Others will not care as long as the other qualities are there.

Oh, I will absolutely disclose it. Thanks for the input.

Meh, at that price, and her being 100% asymptomatic, she'll sell.

A simple bullet list of 'dos and don'ts with an HYPP horse' would be a kind thing to send along with her, in terms of guidance about diet/exercise. Same sorta thing one ought to do when selling a post EPM horse or a PSSM horse.

wow. would never buy a tested N/H horse. They can be completely asymptomatic for a long time and then one day- no horse.

Would never sell one either, because too many people out there will continue to roll the dice and breed such a mare, and that's how horses suffer and people get hurt.

Having found out that she is N/H and planning to sell her- I can't talk to you, I am at a loss for words.

Search for HYPP on the horse care forum- you'll find lots of threads on how to feed them.
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

A friend of mine just got a HYPP n/h horse. Granted he was a giveaway -- but there are a lot of nice giveaways out there right now (I actually hooked her up with two nice horses that she could have had). She didn't know when she went to see him, but the owner disclosed toward the end of the first meeting. She took him because they clicked. She loved his personality and the ride, and she felt comfortably assured that he had never shown any symptoms. He's been here for a few months now and he's a great little horse.

That said, I don't think she would have gone to see him if she had known beforehand...
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

Default I have bought recently an N/H horse

Here is the thing for me, someone who has probably I dare say more experience with Impressive bred horses than most other people on this BB, N/H is a consideration but NOT a deal breaker.

My current horse is N/H his status was NOT a deterrent to buying him. I bought him because he had Impressive bloodline. I love that line. They are intelligent easy to train good looking horses with loads of athletic ability!

I got him for a bargain because the owner was certain she could not sell him due to his HYPP status.

If the horse is broke, steadfast and can do what you say she can, then she is a good deal for someone.

There are so many HYPP snobs on this BB is is NOT the place i would even bring it up.

I agent a lot of horses. HYPP is a consideration Never a deal breaker! The horse is far far far far more than it's HYPP status - JMHO
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

I personally won't buy an HYPP n/h horse and made sure when I bought my paint that she had no Impressive lines in her lineage. I still cannot fathom why people insist on breeding Impressive lines? But, in a lot of ad's that I've seen they still seem to desire it??? Be up front about the HYPP status & reflect it in the price (as you state you are) & somebody will come along!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Quote Originally Posted by Woodland View Post

The horse is far far far far more than it's HYPP status - JMHO
    For me the horse IS the HYPP status, a horse can be FINE, symptom free for 6, 9, 12 years, however long, and on a trail ride, at a nice canter, the horse could fall out from under you. Just not willing to take that chance and would pass on one, free or not.

Just because they haven't shown any symptons, SO FAR, does not mean the horse never will.

And yea, a non-HYPP horse could fall out from under me, who knows. But I stand a better chance of that happening with a HYPP h/h or n/h horse.
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

I thought N/H ment the horse was a carrier and H/H ment the horse will probably show symptoms?

I had a friend who had a horse die, within seconds from HYPP. He was 9, and never tested.

Is there any medication that can be given to postive horses?

People breed what sells, when no one wants impressive lines they wont be around anymore. I really dont see it as much different then people breeding huge stock horses with tiny feet. They are prone to so many hoof ailments, but people still keep wanting/breeding them.

After talking to my vet, I would probably consider buying a n/h horse. I see there are some snobs on the board. But bottom line is you didnt know ahead of time, and well, horses get bought and sold, sometimes even if we do promise them a forever home, things happen. I would not look at a HYPP positive horse any different then any other horse.

I personally wouldn't buy one I knew was N/h, and certainly not h/h. However, there are plenty of people out there who will buy one that are n/h. I really like the suggestion of sending the list of key points, about diet and management. I would also include information about why she is not suitable for a broodmare, so that people know.

I think jumping all over the OP for trying to sell her is a little overdramatic. She bought her as a resale, and did the responsible thing and paid to have her tested. Now she knows, and can sell her accordingly. It's not like she said she's n/h and i want to breed her. I think for the OP to suddenly be responsible for owning this horse for life because she's n/h is freaking rediculous.

I swear, some of these posts recently have left me shaking my head at what people think we're supposed to do with horses that aren't perfect. Can't give them away, can't dump them on a rescue, can't put them down, and apparently can't sell them. In the world I live in people don't still have the back 40 where you can put horses for life. Hell, most barns now don't even have 40 acres to begin with! Come on, we all love horse but lets get real!

OK, first things first. Agent is a noun, not a verb.

Next, FWIW I didn't say I'd buy the horse. I said someone will. SonnyandLacey proves my point. S/he does not know what N/H vs H/H really means. If a seller told her, hey, this horse is N/H but she's been here a yr w/o an issue, so I think she's fine on the diet she's on now. Here's her diet, all written down.

SOLD.

I personally wouldn't, but yes- IF the mare is all that and a bag of chips for that price, of course she'll sell.

And Impressive was a great horse. His N/H , H/H get and grandget ought to be bred OUT of the breed, YES: But N/N horses are GOOD horses. Don't thrown the stud out with the wash water, folks. If you're going to stomp your foot at least determine what you're ticked about first, good Lord.

I missed when not wanting a certain type of horse (be it HYPP or a breed) makes one a snob?

Quote Originally Posted by Horsegal984 View Post

I think jumping all over the OP for trying to sell her is a little overdramatic.
    I do not read where anyone is jumping all over the OP. The OP asked for opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
    ...(I) made sure when I bought my paint that she had no Impressive lines in her lineage. I still cannot fathom why people insist on breeding Impressive lines?
    This is the type of stuff that just makes me sad. Impressive was a good horse. Just because they are of Impressive breeding does not mean that they have HYPP or are n/h or h/h. I have an Impressive line horse (both sides) that is n/n. Bred from horses that were n/n. Not all horses of Impressive breeding have HYPP.

Breeding a HYPP n/h or h/h horse should be criminal, I agree. But buying or loving one that is positive for HYPP is a matter of personal choice -- a willingness to take on the healthcare specifics to that issue. Same as if someone took on a horse with other health issues. They're out there. And they need homes.
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

[QUOTE=CatOnLap;4695784]

Having found out that she is N/H and planning to sell her- I can't talk to you, I am at a loss for words.
    QUOTE]

This is what I was refering to. Sorry I wasn't more clear, I'm just so tired of seeing people criticized for trying to do whats right for their horse and their situation.

And I do agree with everyone about Impressive. We have the test, and if a horse is n/n they cannot pass on the defect. Basic biology class, like the peas No reason to stop breeding Impressive horses, he was a great horse who offered a lot to the breeds his lines run in. However his n/h and h/h offspring do need to be eliminated from the gene pool.

no personal connection to this farm, but think this is a good info page about HYPP for those looking to learn more
    http://www.freewebs.com/whitehawkfar...sabouthypp.htm

Most people in my area would have no idea that N/H is even a problem. I've known plenty of people who believe, like SonnyandLacy, that an N/H horse will remain asymptomatic. So yes, they can definitely be sold.

Me? Wouldn't go near one. Had my QH had any Impressive in his pedigree, I would have tested him before buying and passed if he was N/H or H/H.

I fail to see how not wanting to run the risk of my horse seizing and dying, perhaps while lying on top of me, makes me a snob.
    I never rode a broke horse but then maybe I'm a sorry hand. - Ray Hunt

Maybe snob was not the right word. Maybe judgmental without offering any constructive guidence is better?

What is OP supposed to do with this she unknowingly bought and cannot keep? Kill it?

A better answer for OP would be the statistical chance of this h/n mare developing symptoms...I'd like to see that information as well. How many mares testing h/n develop symptoms???? And if it is a link, can we just get to the statistics and not 10 pages of scientific data?

Got no dog in this fight and, certainly, this mare should never be bred. But how great (or small) is the chance she is just a carrier?
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.