The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

That just broke my heart. It's a well written article with a lot of information. I feel depressed now.

How awful that they can get away with this. It's really sad.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

The Winds Of Heaven Are of That Of Which Blows Through A Horses Ears

What we're trying to do through the CBER thread is to pull a few horses off the Yakima feedlot. They're due to go out tomorrow.

It's all we can do until we can stop this travesty altogether.

Good article. But this line made no sense to me:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Bidding starts at $700. The slaughterhouse will get $20 per pound for her. That’s nearly an $18 profit margin. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That can't be right. $20 per pound is more than most of even the fanciest cuts of the fanciest meats go for, retail - and a slaughterhouse does not sell retail.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Those people who are in Washington working to pass the anti slaughter bill think they are very very close to passing legislation that will stop horse slaughter in the US and prevent horses from being taken across our borders to be slaughtered in foreign countries. But they have powerful forces working against them and need for those of us who want the law to pass to keep in touch with their elected officials in Washington telling them to support the law.

To find out more, you can go to the National Horse Protection Coalition site. On that site you can find out who your elected officials are and how to contact them. The url is: http://www.horse-protection.org/index.php
    Until they are safe.
    www.safehorses.org

Thanks for posting that. It's a very good article worth sharing.

I am puzzled about the mention of price, too. Their math doesn't add up. Also, I've been to the New Holland PA auction (another huge meat source). I've NEVER seen any meat horses go for $700 at auction. Meat horses at New Holland are usually $100-$300, sometimes even less.

I hope I live to see the day this who dirty business is banned. http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/no.gif

How is it none of us here would ever consider dog slaughter or kitten slaughter... but we turn a blind eye on horse slaughter? We shrug it off as someone else's responsibility. Because the former owner dumped the horse at auction, it must somehow be his fault... even know we (the voters) are the ones who allow horse slaughter to be legal and to thrive.

I have been to the Rushville auction, I have never gone to Shipshewana.

At the Rushville auction $700 would probably go to a dealer/trader. It would have to be ridden in the ring under saddle, be registered, and be a QH or a paint, probably plain colored as flash brings more.

I would guess that since the $700 was for a draft mare she is probably sound, not too old, maybe resgistered, and saddle or harness broke. She probably went to one of the Amish.

I will be happy to answer any questions about the auctions here.

You can make it economically challenging, but face it, once a horse crosses the border into Canada there is no US law that can prevent its slaughter.

The way to go is to remove all the greased paths that make it easier to move slaughter-bound animals than riding horses - require Coggins testing of all animals, make double decker trailers illegal for horses under any circumnstances, etc etc.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

aww very sad... i wish i could help.
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by poltroon:
    Good article. But this line made no sense to me:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Bidding starts at $700. The slaughterhouse will get $20 per pound for her. That’s nearly an $18 profit margin. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That can't be right. $20 per pound is more than most of even the fanciest cuts of the fanciest meats go for, retail - and a slaughterhouse does not sell retail. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

At $20 per pound, that makes my 1100lb horse worth....$22,000.

And since he's exceptionally FAT at the moment, and probably weighs 1200 to 1250, that makes him worth....$25,000 http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_eek.gif

At that rate, starting a slaughterhouse would pay off my student loans real quick like.

But seriously. I am rather curious to know now, what horse meat goes for per pound FROM the slaughterhouse, and retail.
    Realistic prices, that is. Because $20/lb doesn't make any sense at all, to me.....
    *&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&
    "Show me the back of a thoroughbred horse, and I will show you my wings."
    &*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&

I assumed the $20/lb to be the dressed price that foreign consumers are paying for cuts of horsemeat, not what the slaughterhouse is paying the killer buyers.

Same as the cattle industry, Example: cattle sell at the auction for $20/cwt (cwt=hundredweight) live. After slaughter, the good cuts sell in the US for $7-$12/lb at stores/butcher shops. So at the auction the steer sells for .20/lb but the slaughterhouse resells to consumers/retail stores for 7-10/lb.

Horsemeat is more values overseas and 20/lb is not unreasonable...it is dressed weight however, not live weight.

What a sad article... http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif I found it interesting that they mentioned horses that were braided, shod, and "brought in by cover of darkness." It makes me wonder where those horses were coming from... ex-racers, mind blown or leg blown show horses? Hopefully not stolen horses, but who knows...

With AQHA's support of equine slaughter, it makes me wonder how many broken down show horses are being disposed of by way of slaughterhouse. I wonder if there are any statistics on the number of QHs that breakdown at young ages due to being shown hard as 2 and 3 year olds?
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

Alot of the shipshewana horses are broken down beligans used by the Amish.

At rushville and at Shipshewana the "saddle" horses are of the following in no particular order

1. race horses, either fresh off the racetrack that week (standardbred or TB), or horses that the owner is not going to bring back onto the track that have been in a pasture. You see some broodmares that are barren. You see alot that people have tried to make into trail horses but they don't work out or can't keep their weight up.

2. backyard breeding experiments

3. camp and ranch horses

3. culls from breeding operations, such as 4 2yo paint horses from one farm who's fetlocks touch the ground

4. generic saddle horses (gaited is good and flashy is also good)

5. wild horses running in pastures for years.

To have a chance at a real home they must be ridden into the auction area and WTC or sliding stop. I have seen horses that go for 1800.

A Recent Press Release from the New Jersey Horse Council. Please take the time to read and understand what's missing in this Law and the dishonesty with which it is being passed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
    Senator Frank Lautenberg of New Jersey and Representative Christopher H. Smith of the New Jersey 4th District have been sending almost identical “Thank you” to Horse Farms and Horse People indicating that we support passage for S. 2352, the "American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act of 2004." Lautenberg says I co-sponsored this Act, which Senator John Ensign (R-NEV) introduced on April 27, 2004. In reality almost every Member of the NJ Horse Council as well as many Horse Farms and Horse People of New Jersey sent Senator Lautenberg letters stating exactly the opposite view. We are concerned that we should not be counted in the statistics used to sway the opinion of the Senate in favor of this Bill or HR 503.

<span class="ev_code_red">Our position has been explicit as to the reasons why this Bill is NOT good for horses. When many members of the New Jersey Horse Council received letters from Senator Lautenberg indicating that he was of the impression we supported his view we became very concerned that there be no misinformation about the position of the New Jersey Horse Council given to the US Senate during their deliberations.</span>

We have all stated our case that because of the negative animal welfare effects that HR 503 and this Bill sponsored by the Senator as the “Horse Slaughter Prevention Act”, would have on all horses, we are OPPOSED to this bill.<span class="ev_code_blue"> As such, we are asking the Senate that they NOT SUPPORT this legislation. As registered voters, it is imperative that I inform you that this legislation is flawed and while well intentioned is not in the best interest of the horse.
    If passed, HR 503 and S. 2352 will amend the Horse Protection Act to prohibit the shipping, transporting, moving, delivering, receiving, possessing, purchasing, selling or donation of horses and other equines to be slaughtered for human consumption and for other purposes.</span><span class="ev_code_green">
    Please notice that the verbiage within the bill does not specifically ban slaughter itself. Rather it was carefully redrafted so that the bill could be moved out of the agriculture committee. It is now up to members of the energy and commerce committee to decide upon an agricultural bill. The Energy and Commerce Committee is, in fact, to ban slaughter by prohibiting the way a horse might arrive at a processing facility. Also, the bill does not address who could be subject to searches and seizures concerning horse transportation.</span> We expected that a similar Bill would be introduced in the Senate. And we wrote to both the Members of the House of Representatives and the Senators from New Jersey expressing our deep concerns.
    This bill will have highly negative welfare effects on unwanted or unusable horses. In fact, horses normally bound for slaughter would suffer a much worse fate if the processing industry were eliminated. Both the American Veterinary Medical Association and the American Association of Equine Practitioners state the captive bolt, which is the method used to euthanize horses at processing facilities, is one of the most humane methods for euthanizing unwanted and unusable horses when an owner is faced with an end of life decision. Removing the inspectors at the slaughter houses is not a wise place to save tax payers money. It will cost much more to support these unwanted and possibly dangerous horses.
    In 2004, approximately 80,000 horses went to processing facilities in the United States, Canada, and Mexico. Currently there are not enough rescue/adoption facilities to house even 20 percent of these horses should the processing industry be forced to close due to legislation. The introduction of these horses into the rescue/adoption network would put a huge financial strain on the facilities and quite possibly lead to inadequate care for these animals. The legislation, as introduced, does not provide any government funding to care for the horses left behind by the closure of the processing industry.
    Newly released statistics indicate that the average horse owner has an annual income up to $75,000 a year. Horses which they cannot afford to support and which cannot be sold will go where? Most Zoning laws require an acre for each horse and this means there must be 80,000 acres made available to house these horses. In ten years we would need to find acreage for 800,000 horses. Where will we find the land?
    Another concern with the rescue/adoption industry is the lack of regulatory oversight for these facilities. Currently, no adopted standards of operation are in place to ensure adequate care of the horses placed in a rescue/adoption facility. If the Senator really believes in this Bill where we find the resources to adequately house and care for these horses.
    Lastly, we believe horses are the personal property of horse owners. For this reason, it is our duty to determine the best method for relinquishing ownership of our horses so long as the animal is treated humanely and with dignity and respect. All legal and humane options for terminating ownership of any horse should be available when these difficult decisions must be made.
    HR 503 and S. 2352 do not address the underlying problems associated with unwanted horses and the implementation of this legislation will create additional, negative animal welfare issues. It is for the above reasons we OPPOSE HR 503 and S. 2352 and we encourage the Senate NOT support this bill.
    • We would be grateful if instead of this Bill, if the Congress of the United States investigates ways to make the slaughter process better and more humane for ALL animals. Not less inspectors, we need more over sight and regulation of the procedures within the slaughter houses. The horse is a farm product, it is livestock and ALL such should be treated with humanity and dignity.
    •<span class="ev_code_red"> We would be grateful if instead the Congress of the United States investigates ways to regulate and gives its aid and assistance to the rescue/adoption agencies as a viable alternative for all owners of horses that must face the last decision at some time. Retirement communities for old horses and adoption of unwanted horse will not solve the problem of dangerous horses.</span>
    Similar position letters have been sent to Senator Jon Corzine as well as all the New Jersey Congressmen. The New Jersey Horse Council is anxious that our opposition be on the public record. The New Jersey Horse Council has always been the voice of the Equine industry in New Jersey. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<span class="ev_code_green">
    This the response received from Senator Lautenberg it is identical to that received by everyone else.
    July 12, 2005

Thank you for contacting me to express your support for S. 2352, the "American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act of 2004." I co-sponsored this Act, which Senator John Ensign (R-NEV) introduced on April 27, 2004. This important animal rights legislation was referred to the Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition, and Forestry where it remained at the close of the 108th Congress. Please be assured that I am a strong supporter of animal rights and share your concern about the humane and appropriate treatment of these magnificent animals and remain committed to this issue in the 109th Congress.

Analysis has shown that the foreign-owned horse industry has slaughtered over 3 million American horses for human consumption in the last two decades. Each year approximately 55,000 American horses are slaughtered for human consumption in the United States by slaughterhouses that are foreign-owned. In addition, tens of thousands of live horses are exported from the United States annually for slaughter.

The "American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act" would prohibit the slaughter of horses in the United States for human consumption. It also would prohibit the trade and transport of horseflesh and live horses intended for human consumption.

Thanks again for expressing your concerns about the treatment and slaughtering of horses. Please be assured that I will continue to monitor this issue in the 109th Congress and support any new legislation that is introduced.</span>

This is dishonest and the statistics are equally skewed. You all mean well as do we but these problems need to addressed before this Bill becomes Law.

Thank you Snowbird. I absolutely agree with what you have posted. Perhaps I missed it, but is there someway to contact our NJ Senators and Congressmen and let them know that we SUPPORT slaughter and OPPOSE the anti-slaughter bill?? I'm not nearly as seasoned of a warrior as you, and would welcome the guidance.

I do hope people will come to understand the horrific consequences that await our horses if we do pass this bill. So many more will be neglected and more people will be hurt by dangerous animals.
    Life is hard. After all, it kills you. - K. Hepburn

The slaughter houses and the people who supply the horses they slaughter are the real deceptors. The killer buyers use outright lies or hide their true intentions to get the horses they are contracted to supply...they have quotas to fill and they don't stop at much to meet them.

Irresponsible breeders who think they can throw away animals they don't want and keep breeding are the reason there are too many horses. Slaughter is an easy out and that's why they fight to keep it. Take the slaughter option away and they would be forced to do business in a more ethical manner.

Slaughter is a cruel death for a horse and a trip to the slaughterhouse can take days or weeks and they suffer thru the whole process.
    It's the epitome of neglect, yet pro slaughter adovcates have the gaul to use neglect of horses as the reason to keep it around. Now that's chutzpah!
    Until they are safe.
    www.safehorses.org

It is NO surprise that any of the 'horse councils' support the inhumane slaughter system. They claim that all the horses in the slaughter system will be left in a field neglected, which is absurd.
    The truth is the slaughter system has NO impact on the number of neglected horses. Neglectful owners don't take their horses anywhere with or without the slaughter system - they are neglectful.
    If neglect was a symptom of NOT having a slaughter market - we would have no neglect now which we all know is not the truth.