The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Has anyone used the Dewormer Cookie

Has any used a dewormer cookie? i saw it advertised in a magazine and it looked pretty cool. It is called Vectin. an ivermectin dewormer that tastes like apple and molasses.

Haven't seen it yet but if I do I'll give it a shot!
    My horse is ridiculously easy to worm but that sounds even easier!
    Founding Member of "I Kept 'Off Topic Day!' Open"

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

I haven't actually put a tube in a horse's mouth for years... I feed the dewormer on grain & beet pulp.

Never had a problem yet, and then when I do have to dose probiotics or meds, not nearly as much fussing then either.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Quote Originally Posted by pintopiaffe View Post
    I haven't actually put a tube in a horse's mouth for years... I feed the dewormer on grain & beet pulp.
    Me too! So much easier. And both of my are easy to deworm, this is just easier.

My understanding is that it has only launched in parts of Europe and the UK. Is it in North America?
    Sometimes I just think funny things - Dudley Moore in Arthur
    Come join us at - TheMuckBucket

In the magazine I was reading coming soon! whatever that means right?
    Triple H Miniature Horse Rescue
    Providing HELP-HOPE-HOMES
    http://www.hhhmhr.org

Quote Originally Posted by hhhmhr View Post
    In the magazine I was reading coming soon! whatever that means right?

Totally off topic but it makes me laugh any time I hear 'coming soon'.

There is an empty lot that I drive by from time to time that has had a sign in front of it for the last three years boasting the seafood place that is coming to that location soon.

I sure hope the deworming cookies idea of coming soon is quicker than this seafood places idea of coming soon.

Ha ha, I know what you mean we have the same thing here but it is a pharmacy. If I ever see anything or get my hands on some I will let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post

There is an empty lot that I drive by from time to time that has had a sign in front of it for the last three years boasting the seafood place that is coming to that location soon.

I sure hope the deworming cookies idea of coming soon is quicker than this seafood places idea of coming soon.
    Where I went to vet school, they were building a new dorm close to one of our lecture halls. It had a sign out front proudly proclaiming its arrival "New Dorm 3 coming spring 2000." I graduated in '05 and they had just finished it that spring.

Everytime I hear the word soon, I think of a major MMO game company who says "soon" so often their fans have a joke that anytime anyone wants to know when ANYTHING happens it will be "Soon(TM)"

If the cookies are palatable I'm willing to give them a shot. I wonder how much dewormer is in each cookie? I imagine like 250 lbs would be treated by one cookie?
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Tes, that's what I would guess too. I thought a nice way to worm and give a treat at the same time. I don't have any trouble with paste either but would just be a nice change is the price was also comparable which you can probably bet it isn't.

A friend is doing the London trade show this weekend. I've told him to look out for them and get me some samples. If I can get either the donkey's or Truffles to eat it, I want to invest in that company!

Never had a problem yet, and then when I do have to dose probiotics or meds, not nearly as much fussing then either.
    Me Too! I can't remember the last time I paste wormed my horses. I have two that just HATE paste wormers and it was always a big deal and I was always afraid someone (me) would get hurt. I started mixing it with their grain/pellets and voila! Problem solved....wormer gets inside horse, nobody gets hurt. I would be interested in trying the cookie though. My horses loooove cookies!
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

If you get any info. from the trade show, PLEASE let me know. That would be awesome!

The company launching them doesn't have a booth but it may be with a distributor by now. Anyway, I've asked him to look and I'll see what happens. It's a man, my hopes aren't too high. But give Uncle Jimmy heck if he doesn't hunt them down. I'll post any info I get.

http://www.beta-int.com/exhibitors_list.html

Wait! If we put DRUGS into things that they actually want to eat and taste like CANDY, one might get into the "CANDY" and overdose on DRUGS!

Said totally tongue in cheek, I just remember this being the reason that meds weren't allowed to "taste good" when I was a kid. For fear we'd get into the medicine cabinet and eat all the good tasting stuff and die.

I'm imagining my fatty mc fat fat delving into a box of dewormer cookies.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post

Does this happen to be the sign on 31F, heading out of Macedon by Ricci's Towing?

Because I've seen that same sign as well for the past couple of years, and I get so mad because everytime I see it I crave lobster!
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

Ha Ha, I think they are all over the place. What I really like is when a place goes out o business and the sign stay and says open for 10 years. We have a place like that too.

Horse cookie, horse cookie. There now we stayed in topic

Quote Originally Posted by BoysNightOut View Post
    Does this happen to be the sign on 31F, heading out of Macedon by Ricci's Towing?

Because I've seen that same sign as well for the past couple of years, and I get so mad because everytime I see it I crave lobster!
    Yes! The very same sign. And I have the same problem as you do. Drool, lobster. I think that sign is evil.

It is now part of the standard response when someone says they will do something soon - seafood sign soon or with in a short amount of time soon?

It's kind of like the word "maybe". Growing up, "maybe" really meant "NO. but I don't want to argue about it."
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

How do you mix the stuff? My horse HATES to be wormed.