The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Show names vs. registered names

Good evening all.

I have a quick question I have been meaning to post for weeks now.

I have a foundation QH mare that is crossing over from her western breeding into the eventing world. Her registered AQHA name is Peponitas Reflection, but to me that sounds like what it is - a western QH name.

I was noticing some people use a different name for different disciplines. Do any of you show your horse under their registered name at breed shows, but a different name at other venues? Is it worth it or just more convenient to have ONE name. Any input is welcome.

Have a great night,

Arii

I show my paint mare under her registered name because I can earn points through APHA's Paint Alternative Competition Program (PAC). Through the program I can earn breed points competing in non-APHA events such as USEF H/J or dressage shows. One of my friends has 2 QH that show on the A circuit and also the AQHA circuit, the gelding shows under the same name for both circuits, the mare shows under a different name for USEF shows and her registered name for AQHA. I think it just depends on how you feel about the registered name.

Thank you for that. I don't MIND her name too much, because that is how she got her barn name ("nita"...she came to me only as "Peponitas Reflection"...I don't think they called her anything but "the mare"), but I was thinking about how now that she is dabbling in the english side of life too, a "classier" name might be nice for her USEA events.

Neither of mine show under their AQHA names, but we don't do AQHA - only local and USEF h/j shows. I don't particularlly care for either of their QH names, though. If I did, I might have kept them.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

We raise Paint horses and show them under their registered APHA names. We have sold some and they have elected to make up new show names for them. I like it when at an event, people can recognize our babies, either by name or brand.

Nancy!

I have a Paint and a QH, I show them (USEA and schooling shows) both under completely different names than their registered names.

I think it is easier to show using their registered names. I like the barn names to stay at the barn. But I think its to each their own.
    Proud Owner of Acertifiable Sonny 1996 AQHA Sorrel Gelding
    -- I loff my QH Clique

My daughter doesn't particularly like her AQHA mare's registered name so shows her under something entirely different. This isn't confusing since we aren't doing breed shows or collecting points. It's an individual decision.

I don't show on the Paint circuit (I own a Paint) and didn't particularly like my mares registered name so I show her under her show name (I show at gold & silver shows in Canada). Some shows will also ask for her registered name, so then I will provide it, but otherwise it's just her show name, which is her passport name.
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Default QH

I show my registered QH under his registered name on the USEF A/AA circuit, and he does quite well...
    To be honest, I think he gets more 'attention' because of it, its pretty apparent that is a QH name, and I thinkmore peopel take notice because of it...