The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Help! My fence charger isn't ticking!

Last night when I checked on the horses the electric charger was ticking, and the "Fence OK" light was on. This morning the light isn't lit up, and there are no ticking sounds.

1. It was still plugged in.

2. It's plugged into the same socket as the trough heater, and that seems to be working fine. I don't think it's the outlet.

3. I just moved in a month ago, so I'm not sure how the electricity is run. Tracing wires could be challenging.

Any advice? I don't even know who to call to get it checked! And I'd hate to buy a new one if it can be fixed.

Thanks!
    Barbara www.customstockties.com
    Tulsa-QH; Schnickelfritz-Holsteiner; Atikus-Danish Warmblood; Buddy-QH/TB; Winston-Shire; Thomas-Percheron/TB; Mac-Belgian Draft, gone but never forgotten

double check the outlet anyway... plug something in like a night light or something you will KNOW comes on.

Second, check around the bottom of your fence for something that might have shorted it out... grass, weeds, snow. Sometimes ours goes out completely if it's shorted out badly enough.

Unplug it and plug it back in if it still doesn't start working make sure you have power to that socket by plugging something else into it. Check for impediements...bushes, branches, snow, etc. Clear anything you can off the wires. Did you have an electrical storm or anything? Lightning can kill a fence charger faster than anything especially if the fence isn't properly grounded. If the fence charger doesn't work when plugged into a different outlet then time to take it to see if it can be repaired. Sometimes your local farm supply store will know someone who you can send it to. We've had the same charger for 18 years but it is well grounded and my husband checks the fence with the fence tester very often. I look at the charger every day to make sure it is on/plugged in.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Did you check the fuse? We have blown several fuses due to lightening. Your box may have had a power surge.

If you can not fix it, the one to fix it is to call Jeffers and order a new one.

Been there done that.

My fencer has fuses in the plug. On rare occasion, they blow from a lightning strike. But I recall at least once, they just wore out. (The fencer itself is over thirty years old.)

I can tell from the "click" (light indicator faded out years ago) if it's shocking good, or if there's "stuff" on the fence (weeds, etc), or if there's a total short (fence on the ground or touching steel post), or if there is nothing at all (unplugged, thingie on outlet tripped, or fuses shot).

You may need to check the fence line for grounding - or a break in the line...a pain, but usually easily fixed!