The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Calico or WW Trailer?

Ok, so I currently have a 2005 WW 2H Straight Load BP that has been great for me (bought it used, owned 2 years now). However, it is lacking in the tack storage department! (under manger) Since I don't have a tack room in my current situation, I have to store in the trailer or at home.

My dilema...I can have some modifications done to my trailer (I hope) to make it a bit more storage friendly (move the spare tire to the outside and add some type of saddle racking) OR I can trade it in. There is a Calico 2H Slant Load with dressing room that shouldn't cost me too much out of pocket to do...

But, I can't find any reviews on Calico trailers...Any thoughts on which is the 'better' option is?

FWIW-I haul with a 2008 F150, with WD hitch and prodigy brake controller.

I wouldn't take another WW, even if I could get it for free. The one I have is a POS. Don't know anything about Calicos, but the configurations you describe look like it would be a step up, even if they are the same quality.

Calico is a sturdy basic trailer, strong structure in the price range - what to check on is the size of the slant you are thinking about - the most common one they sell is 6' wide with a 12' box, the stalls are very small - you can use it as a "double" stall 1 horse - as a 2 horse, the horses would need to be pretty small
    Risa
    HappyTrailsTrailers.com
    BalancedRideTrailers.com

As it turns out the trailer guy isn't able to give we what I want in trade to make buying another traler feasible right now...so, back to getting modifications done to my WW instead! I finally found someone fairly local, now I just need cooperative weather...

It sounds like I might have a space issue with a standard Calico anyway...I went for the extra tall/wide WW because of 15.3h long bodied horse. Some of the stand BP I looked it (straight load) I couldn't imagine him fitting in!

Default Calico trailer

Hello,
    I see that now you are not trading but I figured I would let you know about my experience with Calico. I also haul with a 2005 F-150 tow package and stabilizer bars on the trailer.
    I have a 2h straight load Calico trailer and love it! I ordered an enclosed with 5' dressing room and extra long and tall. I was able to get more options on a steel trailer than I could on the aluminum.
    Here is the link to where I purchased my trailer. I realize they are too far for you but they have info and pictures. http://www.traveledlanetrailers.com/...co-gallery.htm (mine is the bottom left pic of straight loads).
    I can say that my 15.3h TB did not fit so well in the Calico 2h slant load that I first bought used from Craig's List. I had to leave the divider open but I think different sizes are available.

Good Luck!

Wink

How heavy are the 2 horse straight load Calicos (like the ones in the link)? I see they are steel.

I just wonder if it makes that much difference in a two horse model?

Not trying to steal the thread, OP, hope this is close enough to your topic.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

I bought a Calico 2 horse slant w/dressing room new in 2006. It was really too small for 2 horses. I ended up selling it.

Default weight

Hey TrotTrot
    My 2 horse 12' x 7 tall x 6 wide straight load with dividers/bars Calico weighs about 2420
    Risa
    HappyTrailsTrailers
    BalancedRideTrailers

Quote Originally Posted by TrotTrotPumpkn View Post
    How heavy are the 2 horse straight load Calicos (like the ones in the link)? I see they are steel.

I just wonder if it makes that much difference in a two horse model?

Not trying to steal the thread, OP, hope this is close enough to your topic.

Default I miss my Calico

I realize you chose to modify your own trailer, but I thought I'd add a review for my Calico.

I had mine custom-made in 2002. It was steel & weighed 3500 lb empty.

It was 18' long with 2 stalls (one regular gate & one solid stud gate) and a very large rear area with mats. The large enclosed tack room had a vent, 3-drop down saddle racks and 8 hooks. I put a pressure bar-thingy across to the nose and hung a garment bag on it and still had tons of room.

I hauled Morabs & ponies with ease but the Appendix QH mare was rather squashed. I once fit 3 horses and a pony by leaving one stall door open.

It hauled beautifully. I hardly ever knew it was there even when it was filled to the brim with all my worldly possessions in a cross-country move. Horses were hauled all over Wisconsin with forays to Iowa, Illinois, Kentucky and Virginia.

I paid $4200 for it brand-spanking new in 2002 and sold it for $3800 last fall. The new owner emailed when she reached Texas with a glowing reviews not only from herself, but her friends as well. Everyone who ever pulled it loved it.

I miss that trailer
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

I have an '04 calico. I bought it brand new and everything is still perfect on it! I love my trailer!!! Its standard size on everything, 2H slant with tack room. It has carried two horses easily. Nvr had a problem. I have had 2 draft crosses in there (one 16.2 and the other smaller 15.1 or15.2) and they both fit no problem with plenty of room. I love my trailer and would only trade it for a 3H! I am very happy with it!
    *Paige*
    ~*It's not about the ribbons, but about the ride behind it"
    R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor