The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Colonial Carriage Sprint?

Anyone have any experience with this cart:

http://www.colonialcarriage.com/item.cfm?id=1004

It would be so nice to be able to go test drive these things, like a car!

I am not familiar with his new vehicles, but he does a stupendous job on the restoring of antiques. We have visited his shop in the past, looking at antiques there. I would think his familiarity with the antiques, good maker names from the past, correct proportions, design, would make his new vehicles very nice. The shop has a very high standard for quality, should be evident in anything coming out of there.

It is a rather handsome looking cart, very airy looking with nice features for a modern vehicle. I wonder what a nerf bar dash means, under the options? I am only familiar with childrens nerf toys, made of foam. Maybe a padded dash of some sort.

It says it fits a wide range of horse sizes and there is a draft pkg to make it bigger. Any idea what the range of horses is that it should fit?

I have one of the Colonial Carriage trot-on carts with wood wheels & shafts plus a spares box built-in under the seat (do a keyword search "trot-on" on his website to see one similar to mine). It appears to be similar to the sprint in many respects (wheel size, front entry) but maybe with different suspension. My cart has been sturdy and very stable in cones (we go fast). I bought mine about six years ago and have had one broken weld repaired in that time with regular use on all sorts of terrain. Todd was great to work with and will customize a cart to your needs. I got good ribbons with it in pleasure shows a few years ago, but I just do CDE now. His shops are really fun to visit.

Quote Originally Posted by nightmoves View Post
    It says it fits a wide range of horse sizes and there is a draft pkg to make it bigger. Any idea what the range of horses is that it should fit?
    In case anyone else was wondering this I emailed at this was the respeonse.

"I usually figure our Sprint will fit 13H and up. So we are close. I'm working on a smaller pony version otherwise that we will have available in April. If you could give me a shaft height that you are shooting for I'll do some measuring."

And here are more photos from the blog http://www.americancarriagebuilder.blogspot.com/

I would be asking the question "Will I be able to see over my horse of 15H (example size) for a good view of the road ahead, if the Sprint vehicle is originall built to fit a 13.3H pony?"

Taller wheels will raise you a little. A wedge seat can lift you some more. But if horse head fills your vision to the front, you are going to miss seeing things you should notice driving down the road.

Maybe they have seat lift blocks for the bench seat or other options for taller horses in this vehicle. Something beyond just longer, curved shafts that fit the taller horse better.

I really dislike sitting down low behind a horse. You get a stiff neck trying to see around and ahead of them during the outing.

I really dislike sitting down low behind a horse. You get a stiff neck trying to see around and ahead of them during the outing.
    You should try sitting in a jog cart for hours on end with your feet up in the stirrups every morning.

I emailed Todd at Colonial Carriage Works.

The cart has three sets of bolt holes in the frame under the seat so the shocks can be set to lift or lower the seat as required. He says that with 40" wheels, it would fit 14 hh to 15.2 hh - basically a range of 6". He also has 36" and 44" wheels. Axle can be moved forward or back to balance and seat moves forward and back as well.

I also had an email from someone who has two of these carts and they love them - they've had them for 3 years. They also said that Colonial is very good to work with, and Todd is willing to work with the client to make sure the client gets when they want.

Unfortunately, there are none in Ontario for me to try although the people who emailed me offered me a test drive - too bad they are in Indiana!

Just saw a posting by Todd, that the Sprint's are on sale this month. $200 off for March only.

So if anyone is really interested in this model, now is the time to get it!