The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Cribber-Deal breaker?

My horse is a light cribber. He mainly only cribs when he eats his grain in the morning(when he's in the field he rarely ever just goes to the fence and starts cribbing), and if he's in a stall he'll crib on the door occasionally. We just put a collar on him, so I can't say for sure whether it will stop him or not yet, but he's very smart and one he realizes he can't crib with it on, I think he'll stop trying. He's a very talented horse(potential for 4ft jumpers). Very willing and picks up stuff extremely fast. Not an easy ride as he's sensitive and likes to get fast to jumps(think TB type ride), but he doesn't try to fight against you for anything. He's also a sweetheart in the barn, and has good ground manners. Would the cribbing be a deal breaker?

We found that many prospects were turned off by it even though we told them it was controlled by a collar and he never did it at a horse show (the trainer was pleased about that!) This was an A/A hunter(who had nice wins at A shows) we were selling approx 3 yrs ago.

Sounds like you already own the horse...cribbing might be a deal breaker when trying out potential new ones but if he's already sitting in your barn (and not causing you excessive damage) and fulfilling your riding goals I don't see a problem.

I would say that's such a personal call that I imagine your responses are going to be about 50/50 either way - just a guess. A lot of it will depend on circumstances, too...

Does the potential buyer board their horses? Sometimes it can be a little tougher to find a boarding barn that will take on a cribber. ...Then again, some people who own their own farm may not want the damage to their stalls, either.

Personally, it is not a deal breaker for me. I have a cribber, and he's such a wonderful horse, I don't know how I'd ever live without him. I do board him, but the only 2 barns I've boarded him at already had cribbers there, so it wasn't a big deal to add one more.

Depends entirely on your buyer. For me it's a deal-breaker because I personally hate the habit and equipment. I also board, so one fewer "special needs" issue is always better for me.

I also place a fabulous mind and affectionate nature at the very top of my very ammy-friendly list. I haven't known many cribbers who fulfill these requirements. If I were buying the competitive vehicle type horse, I really wouldn't care.

Just tell your already interested buyer everything you know about his habit and what controls it.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

We have one at home who cribs mostly because he's a big pig. In the AM we through feed then go back up to the house for about 10-15 minutes to get coffee, etc. before turning out and doing stalls. If we take too long to get back down to take him out he does "crib" a little on his feed bucket. It leaves teeth marks and looks just like biting, but witnessing him doing it I believe he is actually cribbing. He is fine all night in the stall and all day out in the field, but I notice that if I get home later than usual to bring them in and feed he is standing at the gate cribbing on the fence right next to it. That's the only spot in the whole field where the tooth marks are, though, so I know he is not doing it all the time. When he has hay, feed, treats, etc. he is just fine so, like I said, he does it just because he's a little pig . He's been here for 13 years (since he was 4 years old) and he is a very fancy ex-large pony packer so no, not a deal breaker obviously. I wouldn't buy one who cribs now though. There are too many out there who don't and I hate it, it does do a lot of damage to fencing and stalls. I have seen many a cribber who would do it despite a collar and do it bad enough to tear down fences. Now that is extreme, but I just don't like the habit.
    "to live is the rarest thing in the world, most people merely exist."

It's a deal breaker for me (I board). I also hate the sound of it. If the horse was priced exceptionally low, I might over look it...but otherwise, no.
    Quote Originally Posted by barka.lounger View Post
    u get big old crop and bust that nags ass the next time it even slow down.

we see u in gp ring in no time.

Cribbing is a deal breaker to me. But on the other hand the horse I bred and are training was a cribber until I had a surgery done. He cribbed for 7 years, I tried everything anyone could thing of just shy of electricuting his stall. The surgery worked wonders for hima nd he is healthy, eating, grazing and working harder than ever!
    I will never buy a cribber! there are so many talented horses out there that don't crib!
    No Worries!

Default YES ~ NO DEAL !!!!!

YES ~ WOULD NOT EVEN CONSIDER A CRIBBER ~ Too many other nice horses available that do not CRIB ! Cribbing is a vice and must be disclosed at horse sales ~ I personally can not stand it ~ and while I think that is "small" of me to feel this way (as I used to bite my finger nails but stopped long ago)~ it is me . I had planned on sending a three year old for training - thought I had found a "good fit" ~ went to visit the barn the weekend before shipping ~ Thank God !! two rows of facing stalls small aisle inbetween ~ wall to wall cribbers !!! Miracle collars everywhere some tightened up and working some just as decoration ? Needless to say my mare did not go ~ IMHO some of this is inherited & some is it is learned by watching others - simply not buying one or allowing mine to pick this nasty habit up.
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

To me, if the cribbing is controlled with a collar, and the horse isn't destructive, then I'd certainly consider it, especially if the horse fit all the criteria I was looking for. I recently picked up an OTTB, and the person I got him from did disclose that he was a mild cribber, and he came with one of the single strap collars, which I don't think are effective. I picked up a miracle collar for him, and he hasn't tried to grab anything. He also lives outside 24/7 to minimize boredom. True, I wasn't happy when I was told he 'may' try to crib, but this horse is sweet, has a great temperament, moves like a dream, is very kind on the eye and the price was definitely right. I can certainly see how someone who needs to board a horse would be turned off by a cribber however. It's an annoyance, and if I ran a boarding facility I'd certainly be wary of a cribber. But again, if it is well controlled, not an issue for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SkipChange View Post
    Sounds like you already own the horse...cribbing might be a deal breaker when trying out potential new ones but if he's already sitting in your barn (and not causing you excessive damage) and fulfilling your riding goals I don't see a problem.
    Yes, I own the horse. I'm just wondering about others peoples thoughts. He's not for sale.

Typical adult amateur client here, and I wouldn't consider a cribber. I agree with this statement:

Too many other nice horses available that do not CRIB !
    I hate cribbing collars. If I were considering a recreational trail horse, I might take a cribber, because they often don't do it on 24/7 turnout in a big pasture...but for a show prospect who will be stalled and probably have smaller turnout...nope. The habit has a high likelihood of getting worse.
    Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

It is for me, as I board. A few years ago my then trainer took me out shopping for a new horse. We were looking at a pretty little mare as well as a couple of others at the same barn. Then the mare reached out and latched onto the pipe rail of her pen. Grunt grunt groan, yep, she's a cribber. I informed my trainer no way, not going there, not even going to test ride her. I came home with one of the other horses from the same barn. As others have said, there are enough nice horses out there; why bring home one with issues, especially an issue which cuts down on my boarding options.

Quote Originally Posted by Auto Be A Storm View Post
    Cribbing is a deal breaker to me. But on the other hand the horse I bred and are training was a cribber until I had a surgery done. He cribbed for 7 years, I tried everything anyone could thing of just shy of electricuting his stall. The surgery worked wonders for hima nd he is healthy, eating, grazing and working harder than ever!
    I will never buy a cribber! there are so many talented horses out there that don't crib!
    Surgery? I've never heard of this. How does it work?

I hate the habit and the collar too, so it would be a deal breaker for me, there are too many other good ones out there.

Could be an awesome horse,but I abhor cribbing ....dealbreaker for me.

It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, my older guy cribs if he's locked in the barn... but I have no problem using a properly fitted cribbing strap if its use is warranted, like if he'd be on stall rest or I had to board again for some reason, etc.

If they're not a bad cribber, it isn't a deal breaker. Sure, I'd prefer a horse that doesn't do it, but if they're great in every other way and it's controllable, I don't see what the huge deal is. One of my mares will grab onto the top board of her stall with her teeth, but she doesn't do the sucking thing at all. While I wish she didn't do it, it isn't enough for me to want to get rid of her. And she doesn't do it all if she's turned out in the pasture.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

Major deal breaker...after 20,000+ in vet bills for colics everytime the weather changes to mass destruction with teeth etc, I wouldn't get near a cribber. Too many secondary issues come with cribbing. RUN

I had a tougher time selling a nice one a few years ago, but I had learned to live with it. Treating the stomach really slowed it down.

Now that I have buried one who died from a type of colic that is 10xs more likely ot occur in cribbers, I don't think I could do it again.
    Last edited by RioTex; Feb. 17, 2010 at 02:39 PM.